greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all, have a couple detectors using now. Learning stuff and all.
One buzzes when near coins, one does different tones.
Been working Tot Lots mostly, but want to get into more beach hunting.
The buzzer says it will go to 50' plus depth. LOL.
No guarentee. The tone one says nothing but brags about fancy processor.
I am looking for a MD that can handle maybe 2'-3' ocean.
With warentee. And do dry ground. Is this a fools errand?
PI vs. VLF. I am confused.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only speak about the ones I know.

Personally I prefer Minelabs, I currently have 2 Sovereign GT's, one of which is customized to be waterproof. Since it is customized to be water-proofed you can't buy it that way and it can not get wet so if your going into the surf you would need to be VERY careful with it.

On the dry sand, wet, sand, and in very shallow water it is almost impossible to beat the Sovereign GT and combine it with a 12 inch coil or the WOT and you have a fantastic beach machine in my opinion.

The Excal works great on both land and in water to 200 feet plus, on the down side it is heavy for a land detector, although when used with a harness weight is not an issue. One of the biggest pluses Minelabs will null on iron and yet tell you there is a gold ring beside it.

Another one to consider is the BHID. I use to have the Beach Hunter ID, but traded it after it leaked twice in the battery compartment. All brands have detectors that will have issues with a few units so although I felt battery door was a poor design many others use it and swear by it. Personally I like the detector so my problem was with the battery door and not the unit itself..

PI for me is out of the question unless I have a Minelab also that I can ID the target to be sure it isn't iron. PI's will see deeper, but they see everything, and I am too old to be digging holes to China for bobby pins....If you are on a very clean beach, or have the strength or energy then PI may be something to consider.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread