Do you ever get permission to hunt?

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was just looking at my maps the other day and realized most of the prized spots were located on private property....

Does anyone here know a good way to ask for permission to hunt in someone's yard...or lets say a non-intrusive way to ask?

Guys I appreciate your help. I have to realize that most of the goodies(pre-1940s coins/jeweelry) will probably be in private land..

Larry

Upvote 0

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I always get permission. Been turned down once and I later gained permission to hunt the place.
You find out who owns the land and then personally ask them.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
This is the worst side of the hobby but it's supremely important.

Never use the word "dig." Say "hunt" or "check" or "look around" or almost anything but "dig."

If they ask you right out then be honest and tell them.

One of the most difficult parts is to reach those who have the authority to issue permission to hunt. Some renters will say "sure, go ahead."

Some land owners would rather you didn't ask. Because then you're tresspassing and they're not liable for you.

What I do is try to find out who really owns the place and then confront them in person if at all possible. It's much harder to say "no" while looking at someone than it is via telephone or letter.

One of the best ways to gain access to property is to be referred by some friend of the land owner. So & so sent me sounds better than I saw your old place while driving by.

That's about it from me except to say never hunt alone.

HH,

Badger

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Michigan Badger said:
This is the worst side of the hobby but it's supremely important.

Never use the word "dig." Say "hunt" or "check" or "look around" or almost anything but "dig."

If they ask you right out then be honest and tell them.

One of the most difficult parts is to reach those who have the authority to issue permission to hunt. Some renters will say "sure, go ahead."

Some land owners would rather you didn't ask. Because then you're tresspassing and they're not liable for you.

What I do is try to find out who really owns the place and then confront them in person if at all possible. It's much harder to say "no" while looking at someone than it is via telephone or letter.

One of the best ways to gain access to property is to be referred by some friend of the land owner. So & so sent me sounds better than I saw your old place while driving by.

That's about it from me except to say never hunt alone.

HH,

Badger

If I might ad.... I never act too professional. The "simpler" you sound, the more people will connect with you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread