R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup. A salt beach is a tough go with that unit. You have a dry sand or freshwater machine but salt is gonna be tough.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. A salt beach is a tough go with that unit. You have a dry sand or freshwater machine but salt is gonna be tough.

68462-2467-fecmv-a.jpg

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your new ,do more research. A multi frequency machine is called for ,or pi unit.
Machines that behave well in the saltwater environment are a little pricey. There a learning curve to this hobby don't panic.
If your going to beach hunt be prepared to spend some money.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just purchased a Garrett AT Pro and would like to go on a "metal detecting vacation" with it. The AT-Pro is good up to 10' of water. Any ideas? I live in the desert so water sources are scarce. I've never detected in water before. Do hobbyists use these mainly in streams? Or lakes? I don't know. Just looking for any feedback out there. And what can I expect to find? I mainly look to find silver coins. Thx.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many machines are engineered for specific environments/applications while others are engineered for general purpose hunting. Saltwater presents a mineralized environment so you need a machine that is engineered/programmed to handle this mineralized environment, otherwise your machine won't be able to establish a stable ground balance.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JN - You will definitely have to do the dry sand with that machine and even then possibly have to keep adjusting the sensitivity. Maybe if you hit some parks, tot lots etc. you might find some jewelry that you can send to the refinery's and use the money to buy a nice beach machine. Good luck!

7 up- I have an AT Pro and it I would recommend it more for fresh water. That being said I have used it at the beach but mainly in the dry sand, but when I was hunting at Miami Beach with my Sov., I saw a couple of guys using the AT in the water there. Keep adjusting your sensitivity in the salt water and don't forget to ground balance.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am new to metal detecting and just purchased a cheap detector. $200 Teknetics Alpha 2000. Yesterday I took it to the beach and tried my luck. However my detector kept freaking out. Is this due to wet sand mineralization or what? The detector works great on normal soil. Help!!!#

Stick to the dry sand and you should be ok. For the wet sand and water, you need a PI machine.

Rob.IV

Jan 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think u would do better staying on dry sand or in the woods like around ur house... Maybe even stay 50 miles away from the beach for the alpha to work at peak capacity... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The same thing happened to me when I started with my whites prizm 4. I started finding things in the dry sand and then had to get an ATX PRO. That still was not enough and then I went for the EXCAL II. When your addicted your addicted. Good luck!! You will be getting a new detector soon. LOL.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully you can give a second life to your detector, normally it won't make any falsy signals due to high mineralization.

IMG_0597.JPG

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
I love this photo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
just don't go metal detecting with this guy. Although people plant money for him to find, he still doesn't find it and his production rate is...well.... not up to par...

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
just don't go metal detecting with this guy. Although people plant money for him to find, he still doesn't find it and his production rate is...well.... not up to par...

Excellent! I don't think he may find somthing with his detector on the beach..

He is having a great time and enjoys newbie detection, I hope I'll still be able to detect when I'll have his age :thumbsup:

For those how are interested about this wannabee detector:

$24,99 - Why pay more?

ed21150.jpg

Top electronics, intuitive screen : YELLOW batteries are OK, RED need change them
watermark.asp.jpg

100% plastic carbon like style
fo_199467_2.jpg

Coil replacement possible, 5" is the stock coil, optional DIC (Domestic Iron Coil ©) is a must have for couple adventures at home, find with ease your buttons, zips...enjoy detection with your wife... +$7,99 only!
fo_199467_3.jpg 28632080.jpg

You can contact OBN for Mods, I'm working on a Waterproof version, and I hope GraveDiggerMax will make a review on it....:laughing7:

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An AT Pro may NOT get the depth of a multi freq machine out there, but how many high value items have you found 3 to 4" deep? If i only had an AT Pro..... in Miami.... id be in the water ignoring those false signals. You dont always need a DEEEEP machine..... just one you know and can ID a target with.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
are you saying 3 to 4" is deep? My AT Gold has pulled coins nearly 2.5 ft deep. My Excal.... dont get me started...........Your AT Pro should have NO problem pulling up to 12" deep depending on soil type and condition. Did you mean 3 to 4 ' deep maybe? If so why would you dig 4 ft? I sure wouldn't.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions