Beach Hunt - Silver Butterfly

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hello!

I got out for about 3 hours this morning. Searched another private beach close to my old house in Oakland County. Didn't find as much as I had hoped for, but that's how it goes a lot of time I guess. There was a few interesting digs. Plus, it was nice and comfortable out there, with beautiful scenery, and no one around. A peaceful day and really fun hunt.

120 coins (mostly pennies...lol) $ 5.13 face value . No keeper coins. I did find a French coin. 1996 5-Centimes.

Found some nice jewelry and some junk jewelry too. Keepers were a really nice rectangle silver religious pendant and also a sterling butterfly. It seems to be a piece off a larger piece like a broach or something as there is a solder post on back where you can see it had been separated from something. Interesting find i guess. I also found a Boy Scout pin of some kind. It is fairly unique, I am not sure of it's significance to scouting. I am becoming quite a proficiant sportsman now also as I "earned" my third sports medal of the year. This one is a baseball award. I found two 22 cal unfired bullets but lost one sometime between finding it and the clean up process.

Best of luck to you all! Thanks for looking in!

Smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• June 1 - B.jpg
    June 1 - B.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 358
  • Silver plus coin.jpg
    Silver plus coin.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 369
  • Medals.jpg
    Medals.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0
Hello Badger!
Thanks for the friendly comment and visit.
Oh, you probably have boxes of silver artifacts
laying around in boxes stashed away somewhere...lol.
Best of luck out there my friend.

Smiles!
BDoo

Burdie said:
Nice finds and cograts on the site. What part of the beach do you hunt? Burdie

Today, I just covered the entire sand beach, the volleyball court, and the playground area. A little hunting in the grassy areas but I ran out of time and had to leave. I have hit this site several times in the past 25 years but not in about 5 years.

Thanks for the visit Burdie!

Smiles!
BDoo

Great stuff! The pin that looks like a Boy Scouts item is actually an obsolete DI (distinctive insignia) of the 174th Infantry (NY National Guard). The design was authorized in 1925. Some versions have the unit motto on a banner at the bottom, Semper Fidelis ("Always Faithful"), the same as that of the Marines. The red "X" or saltire cross commemorates the 174th's service in the Civil War: the castle, left, Spanish-American War; the cactus, right, Mexican Border service; and the fleur-de-lis, center, service in France during WWI.

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/heraldry/arngdui/174thInfantry.htm

Attachments

• ts.jpg
    ts.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 310
TRK, Northeast, Green1 , and Jimmy
thanks to you all for the visits and friendly comments,
glad you enjoyed seeing these meager finds.
Best of luck to all of you too!

Smiles!
BDoo

PBK said:
Great stuff! The pin that looks like a Boy Scouts item is actually an obsolete DI (distinctive insignia) of the 174th Infantry (NY National Guard). The design was authorized in 1925. Some versions have the unit motto on a banner at the bottom, Semper Fidelis ("Always Faithful"), the same as that of the Marines. The red "X" or saltire cross commemorates the 174th's service in the Civil War: the castle, left, Spanish-American War; the cactus, right, Mexican Border service; and the fleur-de-lis, center, service in France during WWI.

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/heraldry/arngdui/174thInfantry.htm

Hi PBK

Holy smokes, thanks so much for checking this out and putting your awesome talents to work for me. I am even happier about my finds now. Actually, I did find this item in the grassy area in the balldiamond outfield as I was heading back to my truck. So there's a chance it is a lot older than the rest of the easy dug sand finds?

I am totally impressed by your research talents and knowledge. Thanks again!

BIG Smiles!
BDoo

Looks like you had a great morning BDoo.The Guard pin is definitely a winner......Joe

That's a healthy pile of finds!

By any chance were you listening to Iron Butterfly when you found the silver butterfly? That would be nice and weird. lol

I always get the jitters when I dig up unfired bullets. Especially those rim fire ones. Has anyone ever heard of an instance where someone was out detecting and set off a bullet with their probe? (I haven't, but I'm surprised I never have!)

Great stuff, Boobydoo! No way would I consider that a "meager" find. You have lots of interesting things there. Congrats!!

Thanks a lot for all the recent visits and comments.
This is an inspiration to see everyone's finds
and I am glad some enjoy mine.
Thanks!
BDoo

mlw67 said:
That's a healthy pile of finds!

By any chance were you listening to Iron Butterfly when you found the silver butterfly? That would be nice and weird. lol

I always get the jitters when I dig up unfired bullets. Especially those rim fire ones. Has anyone ever heard of an instance where someone was out detecting and set off a bullet with their probe? (I haven't, but I'm surprised I never have!)

Hiya mlw67

I don't worry about that too much. For one, the black power inside may be moist and not work right and I believe that without the compression of the rifle barrel, a bullet cannot "shoot". I am not sure (and not willing to experiment...lol) what would happen if the primer was set off by striking it.

Thanks for the visit!! Best of luck to you!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back