Beach hunter ID

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The BHID is my backup machine. The ONLY criticism is that the coil floats in the water. Other then that, it is an excellent tool. The LEDs can really be depended on.

As always, read the manual that comes with the machine.

hth

Ralph

P.S.
Forget about ground balancing, It's almost impossible to do. But it will still get you the jewelry and other goodies.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishenfool said:
is the Beach hunter ID a good machine? Think of trading my xlt for one. Thank you for your opinions

HH Ray
Awesome machine and if you get it for a good enough price you can send it into whites and have the 12" new coil put on it turning it into a $1,000.00 beachhunter300.

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
i had one.....it was a nice unit to hunt the beaches with, and i did find some goodies ! but it soon became my back-up machine....good on the sands, a pain in the @$* in the water...i wished i had'nt seen so many whites commercials before i went in and bought one, because when i was ready to buy, the bhid is what i "had to have".....i should have listened to the dealer .... i would have saved some money by buying the excal first......if you plan to hunt the sands, ok....if you are looking to get in the water, nay.......isn't the bhid just a waterproof version of the xlt, or is it the mxt....?.....i'm not sure....good luck .... hh

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
The Beach Hunter 300 is a fine machine!

I had one of the first BHIDs converted to the "300" model and it's MUCH better than the original BHID!

Hot on small stuff, DEEP! pinpointing spot on, super fast recovery (can sweep the 12" coil fast and cover ground), can detect in "all-metal" and still have the color lights to tell different types of targets, more stable tone, new coil stays on bottom and moves without issues in the water!

Thanks!

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would have saved some money by buying the excal first

I couldn't get one that worked (ex cal. ll) after three of them I didnt want to spend all summer shipping detectors back & forth let alone the shipping costs I had to pay to them....

They are all great machines until you have trouble with one

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I have a Beach Hunter ID 300 and and excalibur II.

Got the excalibur first, used it for a year, and then got a BeachHunter 300.

After using the BeachHunter for a week, prefer it to excalibur because:

1. With the 12" coil on the BeachHunter, you don't have to be directly over a target to get a tone. You can be 2 to 3 inches off, and still get a tone. This has helped me find more.

With the excal's smaller coil, you do have to be right over the target.

2. With a 12" coil on the BeachHunter, you are able to cover more ground with each swing, than you can with the 10" coil on the excal.

3. The target ID lights in combination with a tone are really nice on the BeachHunter.

I hunt in all metal mode, and when I get a tone, I can check the lights to see if it is worth digging. If the lights show blue or yellow, I switch to discriminate, and the tone tells me what I have.

With the excal, you have to rely solely on tones, and they take a long time to get used to.

4. With the excal, I get a lot of tone falsing, and had to continually reset the coil by touching something metal after it starts tone falsing.

5. With the excal, there is no low battery indicator. So you really never know how much battery you have left. The BeachHunter has a battery condition light

6. Setting the controls on the Excal requires more work. Get them wrong, and you'll get falsing, or less depth.

On the Beach Hunter, you turn it on and hunt.

7. The excal is an excellent machine, but after using both and still having both available to me, I use the BeachHunter as my every day machine, and the excal sits in the closet.

Bill

lucky d

Oct 2, 2008
fla la land
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur
"1. With the 12" coil on the BeachHunter, you don't have to be directly over a target to get a tone. You can be 2 to 3 inches off, and still get a tone. This has helped me find more."

i would have to think that your coil is over the target when you get a signal.....i'm no expert , but i believe that the field of detection on any coil is conical.....and that it goes down and gets narrower as it gets deeper.....i don't think the detction field goes outwards from the coil.....i could be wrong, and if i am, would someone else chime in and confirm this for me.....here's hoping you all find your share, no matter what machine you use....good luck and happy hunting

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lucky d said:
"1. With the 12" coil on the BeachHunter, you don't have to be directly over a target to get a tone. You can be 2 to 3 inches off, and still get a tone. This has helped me find more."

i would have to think that your coil is over the target when you get a signal.....i'm no expert , but i believe that the field of detection on any coil is conical.....and that it goes down and gets narrower as it gets deeper.....i don't think the detction field goes outwards from the coil.....i could be wrong, and if i am, would someone else chime in and confirm this for me.....here's hoping you all find your share, no matter what machine you use....good luck and happy hunting
Guerilla Bill is right the detection field does leach out a couple of inches from the side. Cliff

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lucky d said:

I use a waterproof Sovereign GT with a WOT coil in the water, it is a hot coil as well, it gets signals that are several inches away from the WOT.

"but i believe that the field of detection on any coil is conical" Not correct, on DD coils they detect the same width down, not conical.........

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
with my Excal ll i can pick up a coin about 1" outside the coil and a bottle cap about 2" outside the coil.this is normal for a DD coil. the New BHID i had was no match for the Excal or Sovereign.it falsed a lot in the surf and the tone id was not accurate and not near as deep as the Excal.i run the stock coil 10" on the Excal and the Wot and S12 on my Sovereing's. i guess if you ask 10 people you would get 6 diff answers...just do like i did,,,,try them all! and keep the one that works the best for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread