EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Michigander2005

May 30, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III , Freedom 3, and GTP 1350
In the menu Salt Elimination have you pressed + to activate salt elimination ? , that's all I can suggest never used mine in water let alone ocean beach.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeppers used salt elimination with the plus ..so we]'ll see other then lowering the sensitivity...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your area you may have the proper setting for the saltwater, but the accumulation of black sand can vary with in yards. If turning down the sens. doesn't help, your just going to have to put up with beeps and nothing is there to dig. This is why the Minelab Sov. GT and Excal are so good at a beach or underwater.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well today sucked.. totally sucked... on the beach.. 13 cents... then hit a stupid tot lot and came home with a total of 20 pennies 2 nickels and one dime.. I am so glad I didnt have to pay for parking.. and I am very disquisted.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach hunting is an art...It is more demanding on a detector than anything else I can think of....Now I know some folks have really good luck on the beach with a dry land machine, but I was never one of them.....Lower the sen's, and good luck to you....

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did lower it ... just dont know what to do next. not one hit.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Garrett has been making an aftermarket chip for tough and/or high salt/high iron ground for the last 2-3 years for the 1250, 1350, 1500, and 2500 series. The standard models don't work worth a hoot in soil like mine (as a matter of fact, they suck) and in the rest of the iron belt of N America too, plus other soils, so Garrett not only installed the chips on some of the newer models, they also made the aftermarket chip for some of the older ones. I have seen only 2 or 3 Garrett users in my area for many, many years and it's because other detectors usually handle the soil a lot better.

I beleive that if you contact Garrett and send it to them that they can install an aftermarket chip for you. If not, perhaps Keith Wills at: East Texas metal Detectors can do it for you, or perhaps modify it himself. Keith is often backed up with his work because of so much of a demand for his fine detector modifications and repairs, but he is very knowledgeable.

Or, you could so as Sandman suggested, trade it off for a Minelab because they are the smoothest running detector anywhere for beach hunting.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easymoney has a good idea, check it out.....My freind just got a 1350, and it was hell on the beach....Works awesome everywhere else we have tried it...It will go deeper than my Ace 250, But I can still out hunt him..(shame less plug) lol.......

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have changed the batteries twice on this machine.. i will also call garrett...I will also consider a trade... but your talking over 1,000 for another machine... I just want to hunt the beaches and at least find something... its kinda like false advertising if ya ask me, dont say its for the beach or can handle the beach if it cant... ok its late and I am gonna stop as I am beat..

niters

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread