Beach Scoop help please.

Fishingfromakayak

Nov 19, 2015
Mass
Detector(s) used
BH Shooter II, AT Pro, Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This summer im gonna take the plung. I have had dreams of metal detecting the beaches of New England and its on my summer bucket list. Any recommendations for a middle of the line scoop. I will be trying both dry and wet detecting, probably no deeper then my waist as I have a AT Pro and dont have the water proof headphones yet. Any thoughts on a particular scoop ? Feel free to give ANY advice,, thnx for reading.

Upvote 0

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
New England beaches vary dramatically. They can be mostly sand and easy to dig or almost all rock. You may be quite disappointed with your AT Pro on most NE beaches. Don't waste money on a flimsy metal scoop for rocks as it won't last a day. For the dry sand a plastic scoop is all you need. You can put a longer handle one easily or just use the stoop and scoop method.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 I would recommend: Sunspot, Stavr, TRex.
But NONE of them have as good a warranty as Sunspot. Go there and read it.
Fantastic people to deal with too. I've met some wonderful dealers in my stint as a detectorist but Sunspot stands out above them all.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is an aluminum scoop on drugs...I mean rocks- 4 days on a rock covered, washed-out beach with sand, between the rocks, the consistency of cement. Doubt if a SS lip would have helped.

021216 006.jpg

My scoop looks a lot worse now after I blew out the back and wired it together. Its still working, on soft white sand, anyways...Some say I abused her....I'm sorry...Boy am I sorry - to the tune of 140 smackers.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think as OBN mentioned you just needed a shovel. The tempered, carbon steel blade on a decent shovel will hold up way better than stainless and definitely an aluminum scoop.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an aluminum scoop on drugs...I mean rocks- 4 days on a rock covered, washed-out beach with sand, between the rocks, the consistency of cement. Doubt if a SS lip would have helped.

View attachment 1290722

My scoop looks a lot worse now after I blew out the back and wired it together. Its still working, on soft white sand, anyways...Some say I abused her....I'm sorry...Boy am I sorry - to the tune of 140 smackers.

I recall 4 years and which is great for any USED scoop.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/491655-found-gold-washed-out-beach.html

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachmaster.JPG For ATP use in dry sand and some wet the Beachmaster will work without breaking the bank.

Miahs

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im guessing the people on here telling you that you will have problems with th ATPro have had them and experienced issues, I hope not cause I have the same one.
Get the blue headphones, they are about $80. Better safe than sorry especially if you will be waist deep. You will need to set your ground balance on the sand and as soon as you get to the water do it again after the tide recedes, maybe again when even deeper. You may pick up targets not even there if not. Hope this helps too.
I to am going to a beach soon and hope for good finds or atleast a great time.
Happy hunting!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1290722

Yes a SS lip would have helped save the scoop, I have used mine in rocky areas with no issues because it had a SS lip...

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1290722

Even with a SS lip, the bucket would still have collapsed.
(btw, you can still file down the burred edge and make that scoop more serviceable)

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get a good S.S. RTG scoop for about $109, $120 with shipping. You can use your foot on it and will take lots of abuse.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:

Yes, 4 yrs on soft sand but 4 days of stones which almost did it in. The final straw was my "fix" of punching-out the bottom when trying to bang out the dents. If I didn't believe in "Extreme Metal Detecting" (i.e., MDing stone-covered beaches, MDing in heavy surf or during wind/rain storms or night detecting when you can't see your feet), I guess a light weight scoop would be fine...but, for me, I need a scoop that takes abuse and keeps on ticking. My scoop needs to second as a hammer, lever, cane and shark fend-offer, when necessary. I think that next to the detector, the scoop is the second most important piece in the metal detecting arsenal when beach and surf detecting. I think my damaged scoop is one of the most durable scoops. Like to see pics of other scoops and how they manage over time.
PS One thing that sucks about an all aluminum scoop is that the aluminum dust/metal/whateveritis leaves skin and clothes stained with a residue that is hard to remove. I finally covered my scoop pole with water resistant Duct tape to solve the staining problem, but after several yrs the tape needs a re due...or a new scoop.

Last edited:

Miahs

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance anybody knows where to find used scoops on a Web site for sale besides ebay?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I did not see the used part.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
I have seen used on Craigslist. SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more lets you search all of craigslist for as many miles away from you as you want.

I have heard of them in garage sales. I agree with Joe. Just get a shovel and play for a while and see what you think

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Nice stainless 8" Oleg scoops on eBay for around $85 shipped. I love mine

Introfiant

Dec 22, 2015
OBX
Detector(s) used
CZ21, Excal, Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're gonna use an atpro and just hit the dry sand, get a light simple scoop. you'll be digging soft sand all day. Stavr or something light like that would be great. I have a sunspot 720i that I find cumbersome on soft sand. Looking for something like a stavr my self. But when in the water I like the 720i.

Miahs

Mar 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen used on Craigslist. SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more lets you search all of craigslist for as many miles away from you as you want.

I have heard of them in garage sales. I agree with Joe. Just get a shovel and play for a while and see what you think

See this thread is what I've been looking for and I am glad he started it. Good conversations. I will be visiting a beach soon but I'm not staying long just a week and I do want to hunt in nearby creeks and possibly river beaches here in Missouri. I was hoping to find a decent inexpensive scoop for the trip to the ocean or a used one preferably. Its not that the $ isnt there, its justifying spending around a 100 bucks for a shovel. I dont get why they are so expensive. When I was on ebay, there was a guy or company selling all kinds of them for like 40ish a piece but then shipping is another 30. They seem very well made, but I prefer to buy here in the states. The problem is that same scoop is nowhere to be found at that price.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread