BEACH SCOOP NAMED... "Ti"

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
BEACH SCOOP NAMED... "Ti"

I wanted a wet sand beach scoop to use below the high water mark and hunt the wet sand down to the water at low tide. And maybe do OK in the soft dry sand and in shallow water. But no scoop will do real well at all three places, so you design one that will work the best at where you plan to use it the most.

What I wanted was "simple"... ::)
A real strong tool to give great service without the handle falling off...
Large scoop head so finding a target would be easy to find without digging up the whole beach...
One that would not corrode or rust around saltwater or under most conditions that would shorten the life of the tool...
One that would cost under $100...
Good looks, balanced, and easy to use...
With a good grip and not just a standard bicycle grip.
...And weigh less than 3 pounds!
And with a shorter name than, "BIG HEADED TITANIUM CROOK NECK SAND DIGGER"! :laughing7:

scoop6.jpg

scoop1.jpg

scoop10.jpg

scoop7.jpg

Scoop bottom pan made from .071", top section made using .050", both Grade 5, 6-4 titanium(135,000 PSI tensile strength).
Handle is 1" X .051" wall, Grade 9, 3-2.5 titanium(95,000 PSI tensile strength).
Scoop size: 12"L, 7 3/4"W, 6 1/2"H. Top of handle is 40" high with scoop head flat on grade. Holes are 5/16" and 7/16".
Grip is non-slip, textured(used on high-end exercise equipment).
Weight is 2lbs., 15ozs.

Name: "Ti"(atomic symbol for titanium).

scoop9.jpg

Best at ya!
-Wayne

Upvote 0

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: BEACH SCOOP NAMED... "Ti"

Nice looking scoop. So I assume it is under $100, will never rust, and did you make it, or buy it?

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II

looks good,and I bet he made it.Do u work in a machine shop? :thumbsup:
Maybe add a grip lower on shaft to help pull up, like some people have.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Great looking scoop you did a nice job on that,,,,, guzz :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stickmarsh

May 17, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur & Sovereign

My dog Jack says, "Great looking scoop. I bet you can dig almost as good as me now."

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks great. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

Thanks for the nice comments!

GIB...
The material was bought off eBay over the last several weeks. With scrap titanium selling for $35-$40 a pound, you wouldn't be able to buy new metal
for small projects! I just keep looking until I can find the size and price that will work. I have less than $100 in the scoop... and many hours of labor!
Titanium with match or exceed stainless as being resistant to saltwater corrosion.
SYKO...
I've been a metal fabricator for over 40 years... and have made many things from different metal... but never made any big money! I'll give it a try, may need to change it some?
Stickmarsh...
Man's best friend... hard to beat!!
MT Pockets...
Yes, if it was made for the surf it would need the top to be longer!

Best at ya!

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.

The best scooop I have ever seen.

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!

Great scoop! :icon_thumleft:

If you made a surf model with a slightly longer handle and extra top area added, I believe you would do very well selling them!

The weight is fantastic for a scoop of that design :headbang:

Thanks!

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

Thanks guys for the nice words!

Indasurf...
No problem with the design work on a water scoop. Paper and pencils are cheap... even Solidworks and Autocad is at hand!!
The problem is money!! Which I don't have!! :'(
Anyone out there have a fabrication shop and could use a designer that works
real cheap!! :laughing7:

Have a great one!
-Wayne

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumright: I'll take one .....seriously

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd SO take a titanium scoop in a heartbeat!!! I've picked up a few normal scoops and was put back by what some of those guys choose to lug around on the beaches... and I know how light titanium is! Great idea!!! :thumbsup:
If I got you directions for my favorite scoop that a member on here sent me... what do you think would be the possibility of making one as a project? How much might it cost? I'd think the titanium version would be well worth it, if it was possible!

Bran <><

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

I must have made a scoop that "might work" with all the great comments!

This was a prototype just to put my ideas into something to test to see what problems may need to be worked out, if any?
We are just now hoping to return to beach hunting after not doing it for many years. I needed to replace metal detectors and bought two after reading everything on the web about which ones were good for beach hunting.
I had been studying beach scoops for about two months even before I got the pencil and paper to start a new design that might work better than the ones being sold. I posted this thread to see what experienced beach hunters had to say about the idea and design. And to see if I did something wrong... and to get another person's view to make it better? Even while I was fabricated this scoop, I had other ideas to make one easier to use.
My biggest problem is not having the equipment or a lot of time to do this type fabrication in my basement. The scoop was made by hand and with basic tools.
I bought the scrap pieces off eBay and it took three weeks to get the metal and another three to fabricate the scoop in my spare time. I didn't post this thread to get orders... but I do believe a better scoop with be made and on the market in the future by someone! Just to many problems from people about the current type scoops!

thedaddy

Aug 1, 2009
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab ExcalII 1000, Bounty Hunter 505 8/4

Number9 said:
I must have made a scoop that "might work" with all the great comments!

This was a prototype just to put my ideas into something to test to see what problems may need to be worked out, if any?
We are just now hoping to return to beach hunting after not doing it for many years. I needed to replace metal detectors and bought two after reading everything on the web about which ones were good for beach hunting.
I had been studying beach scoops for about two months even before I got the pencil and paper to start a new design that might work better than the ones being sold. I posted this thread to see what experienced beach hunters had to say about the idea and design. And to see if I did something wrong... and to get another person's view to make it better? Even while I was fabricated this scoop, I had other ideas to make one easier to use.
My biggest problem is not having the equipment or a lot of time to do this type fabrication in my basement. The scoop was made by hand and with basic tools.
I bought the scrap pieces off eBay and it took three weeks to get the metal and another three to fabricate the scoop in my spare time. I didn't post this thread to get orders... but I do believe a better scoop with be made and on the market in the future by someone! Just to many problems from people about the current type scoops!

Way to build a better mousetrap! You have a great idea there if you can get it rolling with minimal production costs! Titanium is about the perfect material for the task if you can find someone to do the welds right and economically (good corrosion properties, light, strong). If you wanted to get fancy, titanium has similar properties to aluminum for anodizing. You'd want to think over the pricing pretty carefully to figure in your labor though. I understand material costs were below $100 but it sounds like you put some time into fabrication.

Now all you need to do is fab one out of NiTi alloy (shape memory alloy) - it gets bent you heat it up and it pops back into shape! Seriously though, the weight of aluminum and the strength of steel, you might just have a viable business opportunity there!
Great job Wayne! Put me on the list of first customers when you go production, seriously.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will agree with all the posts here, I think you may be on to something :headbang: My only suggestion as stated before is to have more top coverage so you can get a good scoopfull without spilling any contents. I think many are in the same boat as far as cost for buying new equipment and yours is the way to go :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Number9

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT

I have ordered the titanium for a second scoop. This next one will be for my wife. It will be a smaller version of "Ti" with a few changes.
It will also be a test to see how strong and light a scoop can be designed and still dig holes in wet sand. It may be the first 2 pound beach scoop ever made... and work?

I don't think you will ever see titanium scoops made on a large scale production? Doing so, you would need a reliable metal source at a low price. The words "low price" and "titanium" just don't go together!
I would say if scoops made from titanium could be bought from a company the price would be in the range of $450 to $500 per scoop.

I have a good friend that builds scoops for resell. He was thinking about the possibility of making a few? This is part of his email...

"My goal is the perfect scoop if not for sale at least to use. Titanium seems to be closer to that!
I got a quote from a supplier on the net and it about blew my socks off!
Pleased to offer Titanium
.078/.080" x 36" x 96"
1 pc $1760.00/pc
FOB Shipping Point
That is about $350 per scoop in material alone. There's no way I could rely on salvage material an take orders, but I could build a couple of scoops that way. Seems that there will also be some major design changes."

I don't think you'll be seeing to many titanium scoops on the beach? But, if you're on the OBX next month, you might see two!?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread