guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Moe , Check out the sunspot stealth beach scoop , Sandman Swears by them , I respect his opinion .I have one and they work great , The thing Will not Break and they move a lot of sand quick ,,Or RTG Stainless steal Scoop is a good choice . Good luck, Guzz1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the beach brute, I have done everything with it but hang from a building on it and still no damage.

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
or do like me and buy a digger with a life time warranty so if it does mess up u will get a new one.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey moe

if u have the RTG scoop i think u have.............has small mesh end about 5" dia. maybe

good scoop for dry sand hunting

but if used in damp sand and water..................u have to be extremely careful with it or buy a heavier model

u can send it back to kevin, he will fix it for u or just take it to local welding shop and have them repair it..............

this one has been repaired twice over 15 years..................many scoops need repairing many times - see pic

just part of the drill

see more scoops and

just F Y I

max

now like guzz said, the chuck scoop is tufffffffffffff ticket - see pic with top added.

Attachments

• OCEANSCOOP.jpg
    OCEANSCOOP.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,394
  • SCOOPCOMPARE.jpg
    SCOOPCOMPARE.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,357
  • KKKSCOOP2.jpg
    KKKSCOOP2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,400
  • OF4158.jpg
    OF4158.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 2,321
  • BEACHBRUTE3.jpg
    BEACHBRUTE3.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 2,323
  • max scoop mods billb.jpg
    max scoop mods billb.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,353
  • KKKSCOOP2.jpg
    KKKSCOOP2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,363
  • SCOOPCOMPARE.jpg
    SCOOPCOMPARE.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 2,356
  • OCEANSCOOP.jpg
    OCEANSCOOP.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,369

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Max says, they can be repaired. The link for the Beach Brute is http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/longhand.htm

Link for the Stealth Sunspot http://www.sunspotedm.com/beachscoops/ The Stealth is fine the way it comes, but having a top added like Max shows in his pictures is the way to go for playing in the surf. Screen sifters are best for dry sand I found since the sand flows through quickly.

It pays in the long run to have the best quality scoop you can get as it will out last a few of the less expensive scoops.

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
here is a scoop with cover already on it...

moe i've been using this scoop (90 deg handle) for approx. 3 yrs now with no problem. most of my hunt partners use the same scoop and haven't had any problems with them. i did hear from the fellow that i got mine from that someone had broken a handle which was replaced. i recently saw a different scoop with a busted/bent handle on the forum. my personal belief is that any of the scoops being made can have the handle broken if the users doesn't use some common sense.

i received another of these scoops this spring with a handle that is 30 deg from perpendicular. i used it quite a bit this last yr. & although it is easier to dig with particuliarly in chest deep or deeper water. i will be using the 90 deg handle next yr. because its easier for me to handle when full of bottom matrix.

the price compares favorably with any of the others, its made with quaity materials & craftsmanship right here in the United States of America. i believe that the majority if not all of the better scoops are made in the USA.

here are some pictures of both models.

merry christmas & hh steve

ps both baskets are the same & can have either handle put on.

Attachments

• angled handle scoop sideview resized.jpg
    angled handle scoop sideview resized.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 2,268
  • close up side view of scoop resized.jpg
    close up side view of scoop resized.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,160

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
SANTA JUST BROUGHT THIS TODAY UPS FIRST CLASS ;D I'll TAKE IT OUT TOMORROW FOR ITS MAIDEN VOYGE ...... GUZZ1

Attachments

• PC281374.JPG
    PC281374.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,069
T

TreasurdiggrNY

I just got this bad boy for Christmas, used it once on the beach and it's great, the design will also help me in the rocky, gravely upstate new york lakes and rivers.
HH
Glenn

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2,339
  • scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 2,036

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Paul is Dead said:
I believe when you live in an environment, like lakes, that you can take your time to work the scoop loose. Side to side. Back and forth. But when one is on the ocean with waves of some magnitude you have x amount of time to make your claim, or all is lost.

Yes, I am that person with little common sense. But you must also know if the metal was welded and was too hot it changes the molecular structure. Or if the bracing is in a improper placement vs the length of shaft, and pressure over that length. Not everything is ideal. Not every product is the same.

So please enlighten me on what the common sense of scooping is so WE all will know. Because their have been a few that have broken scoops before.
And to remind all I am well into my 50's so you tell me. Scoop, or user's common sense?

And I know you meant no harm by it. But without proper info, we make mistakes. ;D

Paul,
1st off you fellows that hunt the ocean seem to think you have a monopoly on waves. If you have ever seen any of the great lakes particuliarly michigan (my hunting area) or superior when they kick up there heels you would reconsider that notion! The waves are plenty big and the frequency is shorter. Just out of curiousity have you ever heard of the Edmond Fitzgerald? I regularly hunt in waves up to 4 ft. so I understand how difficult it can be to stay on a target. For me, common sense tells me I should take wave size into consideration when deciding to hunt. Most importantly is it safe? (common sense?)! Next am I going to loose or damage my equipment? If the answer to this is maybe or yes then I fall back on is it safe. Even if it is safe is it worth it? (common sense) You may have a different idea, good luck and much success!
Next, well I guess i would start by saying that most scoop users don't break or bend there handles, so do they have better handles, better designs or common sense? I think most scoop users have a good idea (common sense)what there pc of equipment can and can't do. Sometimes they exceed the scoops limits and presto a broken/bent handle. Or as you mention it could be a defective design or handle but how many handles are being broken/bent? If the scoop being used can't do what they need it to do then they need a heavier duty scoop, agreed? Theres some common sense that we share.
Being over 50, 60, 70 etc. or under 12 or a weight lifter or skinny as a bean pole probably isn't much of factor in handle destruction. Considering that there is approx. 4 ft. of leverage being appllied to the handle. If the scoop is in something or against something that isn't going to move everyone described above can most certainly apply more than enough force to damage/destroy most scoop handle's if not the scoop. So should the manufacturers make the handles more indestructable at a cost in material and more importantly in weight so that some heavyduty users can pry 10 lb boulders out of the bottom or pry their scoop loose in 1 motion in between waves that most hunters might have 2nd thoughts about being in? It appears most manufacturers have tried to reach a happy medium of strength vs. weight. I have no doubt that an indestructable scoop can be made, I doubt that I can afford or carry it.
Oh and by the way I'm well past 50 myself, I do not pretend to be an expert, or have the only exceptable idea's on this question. I do however believe that I have some "common sense" .

This is not meant to be antagonistic, you asked, I answered.

Happy holidays & happy & safe hunting.

Steve

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
HEY GLEN ,, I LIKE THAT SCOOP.. NOT TO HEAVY ??? LOOKS LIKE YOU BEEN HUNTING IN MY AREA WITH SODA CAN . THATS THE KINDA CRAPOLO I BEEN FINDING LATLEY... LOL :D
HAPPY NEW YEAR ,,, GUZZ1

T

TreasurdiggrNY

guzz1 said:
SANTA JUST BROUGHT THIS TODAY UPS FIRST CLASS ;D I'll TAKE IT OUT TOMORROW FOR ITS MAIDEN VOYGE ...... GUZZ1

Good luck with the sharp looking new scoop tomorrow, easy on the crapola though, break it in right ;D
HH
Glenn

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some big waves on the Great Lakes, no doubt about it, having lived in Chicago myself, but usually they only come during the storms there, unlike the ocean where they can come at anytime and usually do.

There are also no jelly fish >:(, sharks :o, red tide :'(, and even worse--> riptide currents :o:o on the lakes ...

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
since ive just started mding and dont have any REAL beaches near me. i just made my own by drilling holes in a sand toy.
LOL!!! but hey it gets the job done.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treasureace12 Welcome to TN.......

I am sure what you made will work fine in the sand, but in the hard packed wet sand and in the water you will need a good sturdy scoop.

Good luck and good hunting.............

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
i know but theres no saltwater beaches here.when i go to visit my grandma in fl im gunna buy one from hobby town.

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Treasure_Hunter said:
There are some big waves on the Great Lakes, no doubt about it, having lived in Chicago myself, but usually they only come during the storms there, unlike the ocean where they can come at anytime and usually do.

There are also no jelly fish >:(, sharks :o, red tide :'(, and even worse--> riptide currents :o:o on the lakes ...

treasure_hunter no jelly fish, sharks, red tide and i might add stingrays are present in the great lakes, thank goodness!
riptides now thats a different story, unfortunately we have multiple drownings every year many attributed directly to rip tides. go to google earth and look at the west coast of michigan you will see many sandbars with dark gaps every so often, channels where the water from the "small" waves are returning to deep water and causing serious rips!

also i would bet that the number of days waves exceed 2' outnumber the days they don't. here is a sight to check for yourself if you don't believe me.
http://www.weathermichigan.net/marine/waveheight.html
the main reason for this reply is so that no one reading this gets the idea that serious caution isn't required when your going into the water of any of the great lakes. for just as in the ocean or any large body of water conditions can change almost instantaneously.

i hope everyone has a safe and happy new year!

steve

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies Steve, I never saw any riptides when I was there, but I stand corrected since I am sure you know more then I do about the Great Lakes, I only lived there for a year, which is not like a full time resident....

Caution is the word anytime you enter any water as there is always the chance of holes, cramps, and anything else....

I hunt the beaches here and at times I hunt at night, even venturing up to knee deep, which in itself is dangerous since things that go "bump" in the night here have big teeth. :o

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind Hunter, you ever find someone to do your shirts again? IM me when you have some available again...

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Question for Gravediggermax: what brand is that first OCEANSCOOP you have pictured? It looks similar to a Sunspot. I like it. Where can I buy?

Attachments

• OCEANSCOOP.jpg
    OCEANSCOOP.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,758
  • stealth.jpg
    stealth.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,788

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread