beach scoop

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
For dry sand (and sometimes wet if enough water is around to wash it through) I use a homemade scoop. I bought a plastic 3-quart feed scoop at a local tack-and-feed store, drilled lots of 3/8" holes in it, and voila, a great scoop for around $5.00. Works as well as one of those $30.00 ones available on the 'net. Of course, it involves a lot of bending and kneeling, but hey -- that's good exercise, no?

If you are working in the water, I'd suggest buy a well built, all metal/welded unit. But for my coinshooting on the beach, what I have works great!

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
The pic that GUZZ1 posted is a good scoop im not sure if he posted the 6061 aluminum or KELLYCO newest sand scoop,

It cost 112 dollars and the bucket is 5 inches wide and 9 inches long, I purchased the 6061 and it's great at the beach,the newest one for 112 dollars is lighter and was made more for women due to being lighter,

I purchased it because of my neck disability and this scoop is great to detect with, The 6061 hunting in the water and holding the detector was a work out,

I also purchased a floating plastic pan and went to walmart and purchased a long foam in the swimming department and tie wrapped it around,

now when im detecting i empty my scoop in the floater and , i can empty 3-4 buckets into it wit the tide hitting you ,It makes locating your find faster. ::) ::) :o

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That would be the RTG aluminum scoop 99.00 . $106 total tax I like the scoop a lot , I have a sunspot stealth, Its just Tad heavy for me to tote ,but also a great scoop . I use the RTG most of time ,,, Its Half the weight , However The sunspot moves more sand a lot quicker though., Guzz1

Attachments

• PC281373.JPG
    PC281373.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,684

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
The scoop I just purchased was Rtg Pro aluminum mini scoop ,it was 89.00 +tax very light in weight and effective . pictured in previous reply... can't beat it for the price.. Very happy with it .. RTG PRO ALUMINUM MINI WATER SCOOP (#733) Guzz1

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I think I need a new scoop ;D

Attachments

• scoopbroke.jpg
    scoopbroke.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,597

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Dale i'm betting that scoop paid for itself many many times!!!

Dirt Fishin Dale said:
I think I need a new scoop ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cypress Hunter, they are both Sunspots, one is older is all. I thought I'd like the lil holes up front so I bought one of those too. But I later bought the Stealth which is the latest model. Main advantage I like about them is the width of the basket and more holes for drainage.

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Would this be a good scoop to use mainly on dry and wet sand or should I just go with the Sunspot Stealth for my first scoop?

Thanks.

ATH-7 Stainless Steel Sand Travel Scoop

Attachments

• ATH-7ST.jpg
    ATH-7ST.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,471

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how deep in the wet sand your digging. If your never going to hunt water then it should get you by. I personally would still perfer a larger scoop. I perfer to recover the target as fast as possible and move on to the next target.....

Good luck and good hunting..............

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Hi Treasure_Hunter,

I will also be hunting in waist high water but mostly dry and wet sand. I am looking for a scoop that I can use in or out of the water.

Thank you

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the beach brute. It has an 8.5 inch wide bucket. I prefer to recover the target as quick as possible.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry sand calls for a screen type scoop. It doesn't have to have a very long handle, just so you don't have to bend all the way down. The wet sand or in the water scoop calls for the bigger scoops made out of heavy alum or stainless. The more holes the better too.

Take Care,
Sandman

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
I use a scoop that has a screen type basket on a 3 ft handle (light weight). mine works great in dry or wet sand. Makes sifting a whole lot easier. Boils down to a matter of preference I guess. Some people find that the larger scoops with large handles are too cumbersome to lug around.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: beach scoop UPDATE

I sent my RTG 41" beachmaster to Kevin and was returned fixed within a week. Great service from Kevin at RTG!

My scoop is now stronger than before. I bought a 2nd scoop (same 41" beachmaster) for backup. I really like these scoops.

Thanks for all the replies.

HH.
Moe

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Good luck with the scoops, new and repaired. When are you going to get to break 'em in?
Glenn

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
well, I went ahead and order the Sunspot Stealth scoop since I have a Minelab Excal II coming I know I'll be in the water. Treasure_Hunter, Thank you for the info on the beach brute. Sandman, what kind of screen type scoop do you use for dry sand.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn,

I hope to use the scoops soon. They need a little test drive!

HH
Moe

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
You'll like the sunspot stealth scoop . I have one ,and its stout , It moves a lot sand quick. Its a little heavy for the dry . But in the water you'll won't notice . For the dry I have a RTG alluminum mini beach scoop really light its was 89.00. About 4 foot tall.I can drag it behind me all day without a problem. and it does a nice job as well.. good luck Guzz1

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
I think I know these guys MAX!!! LOL!!

gravediggermax-vabeachva said:
if u have the RTG scoop i think u have.............has small mesh end about 5" dia. maybe

good scoop for dry sand hunting

but if used in damp sand and water..................u have to be extremely careful with it or buy a heavier model

u can send it back to kevin, he will fix it for u or just take it to local welding shop and have them repair it..............

this one has been repaired twice over 15 years..................many scoops need repairing many times - see pic

just part of the drill

see more scoops and

just F Y I

max

now like guzz said, the chuck scoop is tufffffffffffff ticket - see pic with top added.
HERE'S MY BABB'S 2 PIECE HD TRAVEL SCOOP....100'S OF HOURS NOT BROKEN YET...CHOPS THROUGH FROZEN SAND TOO!!

Attachments

• HPIM0614 (Large) (Small).JPG
    HPIM0614 (Large) (Small).JPG
    94 KB · Views: 1,076
  • HPIM0615 (Small).JPG
    HPIM0615 (Small).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 1,094

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread