Beach settings for detector

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
Id be interested as well as I just got a Soveriegn myself....I think I got it set pretty decent, met a guy on the beach that had one and he sorta showed me where to be at but Im still fine tuning obviously...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sov GT is a killer at the beaches, especially if you also outfit it with the 15" WOT coil. I like to use Black Widow headphones as they are very comfortable, amp the quiet targets, and block a lot of outside noise of the surf.

Settings are very simple, Sensitivity as high as you can set it without falsing. At some beaches it is deeper to have a lower setting or even Auto. I think newcomers to this Sov should set the Sens at Auto till they get a feel for it. I like to run in Disc instead of All Metal and use a low setting on Disc and let the detector null out on the small iron. Make sure your detector is sounding off on pull tabs as a awful lot of gold rings will fall into this range. Learn the low growl for the gold. If it makes a noise I dig it.

Pinpoint mode won't be needed as all you do is wiggle the coil back and forth while you pull it toward you when you find a target. When the sound disappears, slide the coil forward slowly till you hear the sound and the target is just off the tip of the coil. You can also use the rear of the coil but could locate another target infront to mess up the whole saving time bit.

With luck maybe Treasure_Hunter, will join in here as he is a pro with the Sov. GT.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i hunt the beach about 4 days a week and iv found that the GT and S12 coil to be a great set up....settings as Sand Man said...Disc on but set @0 Sentivity as high as the ground will allow and dig by the tones.as with any detector if you Disc out nickles/pull tabs you will Disc out a lot of Gold items!

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the replies!

where can i find the W12 and W15 coils? What is their cost?

How do you protect the electronics from the sand and sea moisture? I only hunt from surf to dune toe (no water).

HH!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with the new detector Moe. I plan on getting one down the road...

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may not be able to buy the WOT 15" coil right away.

Would the Sov GT with the 10" DD stock coil still give any decent depth on the beach?

Thanks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moe the stock coil will be deep enough, but natch a larger coil will always be deeper. The true advantage of the larger coil is the amount of coverage you get per sweep and not so much the depth. Deep targets take longer to dig up.

dignbob

Jan 27, 2009
Brand new member, havn't posted profile yet. Just browsing the site-wondering what does WOT mean!

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RochelBob said:
Brand new member, havn't posted profile yet. Just browsing the site-wondering what does WOT mean!
Wonderful Orange Thing.......or so I've heard

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305
Ive got the stock Tornado coil and its incredible...no desire right now to go spend the coin on a different one. Maybe once I count all that clad I found I may take the plunge though!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread