Bead...Native old or hippy old?

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
first bead I've found, if it turns out to be one...it's thicker on one side than the other, really looks handmade...and either stained black on purpose or because of creek water..anyway, what do y'all think? IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0031.JPG

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I don't think is actually a Bead. I found stones just like that in creeks and rivers in my area too and they are formed naturally by erosion.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It look like it could very well be a stone bead. Nice Find!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crinoids have commonly been called indian beads through the years. There has been evidence of them being used as such by several tribes as evidenced in archie digs.

pa-09.jpg

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to go with a crinoid fossil worn down by water, it could have been used as a bead but that would be anyone's guess. Cool find:thumbsup:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If found on a known site where other like items were found, then yes, it could be a Bead. Found in a creek with no association to any other known sites or Beads, then it's more than likely natural and may be an eroded Crinoid. I saw several Crinoid Bead Necklaces years ago that were found just north of Lucasville Ohio by Harold Young. He told me that back in the 40's the Scioto River came up out of it's banks and washed down through the fields uncovering several graves. A friend of his helped him rebury all the bones but not until after they gathered up all the artifacts, which included over 500 Crinoid Beads that he restrung into several Necklaces. They had an auction after he died and these went really high, like over $1200 for all of them. I have a few I have found on Ft Ancient sites that I am sure were Beads, but I also find them in all of our creeks that are just naturally polished like yours.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
It's not a chrinoid....that's actually the most abundant fossil around here, but not in the creek where I found this...It's clay, but feels harder and when you tap it has a somewhat stone feel to it...It was found in a creek with erosion from a known village/camp...all the crinoids I have ever found resemble concrete around here. I've not found any online example of native beads like this yet but haven't looked much. That is why I was thinking maybe Hippy Culture. Maybe I can get it in someones hand who might know,...I just don't believe it's gonna be a 'noid, but won't rule it out completely.

Thanks all!
lisa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread