• SUNP0057.JPG
    SUNP0057.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 180

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Avoid temptation to try to disperse black flies with it.(half kidding). On a visit last year blackies were "signing"on the roads. Wishing you well.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha!!...Thanks releventchair,
'Black flies': plentiful in early summer.
'Black bears: plentiful March to November.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah, Griz!! ;)
I've found... 'Blacks' are the ones to be careful with (less fear of humans!)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it won't be long before they come out of their dens, boars earlier, then the sows and cubs.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IIRC, Black Bears are the #1 predator when it comes to killing Elk calves each year.
Apparently the bears come out of hibernation, head for some fields to load up on grass,
etc. to get the stomach juices working again, and then they start looking for some
meat to fill a very empty hole.

If you're in the timber country and working a single spot, stringing a bunch of cans
together (lot's of 'em!) and running those strings to surround your area about 50'
off. If the bears take off when they hit the cans, great, but if not at least you won't
be surprised at 0300!
sSig_aaarggh.gif

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a six and a half cinnamon bear up in Saskatchewan sixteen years ago. I was a spring hunt and he had no rubs on him yet. Sure would like to get another one.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IIRC, Black Bears are the #1 predator when it comes to killing Elk calves each year.
Apparently the bears come out of hibernation, head for some fields to load up on grass,
etc. to get the stomach juices working again, and then they start looking for some
meat to fill a very empty hole.

If you're in the timber country and working a single spot, stringing a bunch of cans
together (lot's of 'em!) and running those strings to surround your area about 50'
off. If the bears take off when they hit the cans, great, but if not at least you won't
be surprised at 0300!
sSig_aaarggh.gif
.......partially true......bears systems cant handle meat for the first month or so out of hibernation,and is the reason they are so commonly seen grazing on grass.Wolves are quickly taking the role of #1,if not far surpassed by now

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a six and a half cinnamon bear up in Saskatchewan sixteen years ago. I was a spring hunt and he had no rubs on him yet. Sure would like to get another one.
Alberta & Saskatchewan sure do have alot of bears, and maulings along with a few fatality's every year!

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 'spring' bear meat the best old digger, mild and way less fat! ;)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 'spring' bear meat the best old digger, mild and way less fat! ;)

I know I am probably wrong here, but I did taste some of that bear meat and it was just not right. I have heard that bear meat from a late fall hunt tends to be a slightly greasy tasting.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When a bear treats a human like a bear,well we,re a bit more fragile. Get them used to a scavenging routine then interfere we are just competition. Or wander into their feed,cubs or wrong day just be in the way... history in michigan has at least one that killed. I had wanted to hunt them,won,t now. after losing a leg way high i risk being the joke when buddy takes off running!.

OP
OP
TJE

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am probably wrong here, but I did taste some of that bear meat and it was just not right. I have heard that bear meat from a late fall hunt tends to be a slightly greasy tasting.
No, you may be right of the taste old digger. I've noticed eating wild meat all my life that the animals diet because of where and what part of the country they live (farmland, heavy bush..and many more "little" things) from before and after harvesting your meat will change its flavour. Not just bear meat, but deer, moose, elk...all wild meat.

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to processing my game I am very particular. As with deer, I remove and seperate all the sinew an tendons as this greatly reduces the gamey taste. If done this way on a younger deer, you can not in some instances taste any of the wild flavor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread