Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it is nice to be able to help anyone that has a question. I even have questions sometimes. Everyone likes to help someone else but many times they can also steer them wrong. It is up to the one that asks the question to decide which answer they like. however there are always some that just like to ask questions to get someone to answer. They never post back to see what answers they got or to acknowledge them. They only like to see the numbers increase on numbers of posts they have made like it is a contest. These dudes get ignored soon enough and they move on to other sites to bother them.

trapper

Mar 22, 2009
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500and Garret SeaHunter MarkII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a releative newcomer to MDing I have found the best way to learn from you pros is to do exactly what granitegator suggests, I went thru and read as many post as I felt pertained to my MDtor and read all posts that I felt contained anything that might teach me a trick or two and as a result I havent had to ask any repeat or uninformed ?'s thereby not wasting space or time on tnet I would urge any of the new people to the tnet to do the same thing, but be forwarned its gonna take some time to do this as there is a lot of posts and replies to read., so good luck every one.
May your detector always find the good stuff!
Trapper

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
I am very new to detecting and I ask a lot of questions. All of which I am sure have been answered hundreds of times before on here (I'm not too bright). However, I only scan the topic lines to see if the thread will pertain to me. Many quality answers are hidden in the multitude of Excal topics, but alas I will never see them because I don't read those. It may be a little impatient of me to ask a question when it could be on here somewhere, but that is why I am on the internet. If I had the time or inclination, I could go to the Library of Congress to get all my answers.

I greatly appreciate all of the people who offer me advice. I hope that anyone who is frustrated by me and my questions understands that I do not wake up in the morning trying to be annoying (it just works out that way)

Thanks for letting me share.

Fathead

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
We have a lot of new huntters on all these site and ask question,because they don't know the answers.So why can we just tell them what they need to know without Beatting around the bush.I've been hunting for over 30 year, helping a newbie is a good thing to do and help save our hobby.

Not sure what or who your referring to, most of us usually answer the questions asked with out beating around any bushes. I refer some of the questions to Norms site, where the answers to most questions are found, but some people don't want to take the time to read the site for theirselves, they ask the same question again on a different forum or a different board on the same forum.

Some insult the people who answer the questions because they didn't like the answer, they shouldn't end a question with "what do you think" if they really don't want to know what other people think........

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I kind of thought that that was what the forums were all about. Asking questions, getting answers and reading about the finds others have made. I have been helped many many times on the forums. I depend on them for infomation. Yes, I've read the Golden Olde site and even copied it to my computer for future reference still.... I ask questions and I appreciate the time and effort that the other MD'ers take to answer them for me. A lot of my questions are probably pretty dumb and repetitious but the gng's on here are the greatest at helping others out. I say................. IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION.... ask it! If you can help a person out..... DO IT!

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
mumszie said:
I kind of thought that that was what the forums were all about. Asking questions, getting answers and reading about the finds others have made. I have been helped many many times on the forums. I depend on them for infomation. Yes, I've read the Golden Olde site and even copied it to my computer for future reference still.... I ask questions and I appreciate the time and effort that the other MD'ers take to answer them for me. A lot of my questions are probably pretty dumb and repetitious but the gng's on here are the greatest at helping others out. I say................. IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION.... ask it! If you can help a person out..... DO IT!

I enjoy reading the many posts here that catch my attention. And I post some questions, and like to have fun here too. The people here are very nice and reply quickly. I am new to the hobby and am curious about many things pertaining to the hobby. I have gotten a lot of good advice & info from people and I appreciate them taking the time to reply to me. :D

skt

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Granitegator said:
Many people come here and ask questions that have already been answered a thousand times. They dont take the time to do a little research themselves.
Totally agree. I'm all for researching the forums and all available sources before bugging everyone with really obvious questions... Out of respect for everybody on the forums I (as a newbie to Tnet) spend hours reading before I start asking questions. This is simply because I generally find what I'm looking for! Call me a lurker, but that's how I approached it and got to 'know' the protocol around here. It's all about sharing in these forums so that's what I eventually started doing. Hell the internet's here, let's use it. Norman also had an interesting writeup about forum use - http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/forumog1.htm Like he knew what we'd get up to in the future! I have certainly learnt a lot thanks to you all :notworthy:

OD

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first found this website, around the same time I was getting into metal detecting, I went through and read over many posts to learn what I could. I then picked out a few members on here that showed a lot of knowledge and wrote to them for their advice. I didn't think it was proper to post a question that someone else had posted 2 months before. There have been some questions that I have posted that I even referenced that I knew someone else had asked the question before.

There are also some questions that I think some are just messing around with people. The answer would be common sense so the question isn't even of any value. I'm not talking about the individuals on here that are new and really want to learn. I'm talking about the ones that obviously have nothing better to do with their time.

I do agree that there are some that just want to increase their numbers. The members that bother me the most are the ones that pull up a find that nobody has commented on for nine months just to post a :thumbsup: These are the people that should be banned for life :laughing9:

OP
OP
ron lord

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote this because of a Question ask ,can you bring a shevol to the beach? know one would give a stright answer.All I am saying is give them a good answer.the answer was yes .

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can I bring a shovel to the beach? The answer is very, very simple. Bring a shovel to the beach and experience for your self.

I personally don't mind helping folks at all. But when I see someone posting a question that indicates laziness, or wanting things handed to them, my knickers get all knotted up and I lose interest in that person as a fellow detectorist.

What I'm saying is get out there and make mistakes and bruise the knuckles a bit.
Try to train the mind to solve problems on our own.

Am I saying that I don't want to help folks? Not at all. I find it very rewarding to pass on what little knowledge that I have.

But, when I see someone swinging their machine like a golfer and running down the beach, I know that they have not read or done ANY research or effort to gain experience on their own.

In the three years that I have been working the sand, only one guy that to me looked like a hippie asked and received advise. This guy took my advise and he was now swinging the coil next to the ground, not like he was swinging a weed whacker. THAT made me feel good.

I usually watch then walk off doing the same thing they were doing before they asked me.

Rant over, carry on.

Ralph

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not mind answering questions even over and over. Though if the member was a Charter Member they could do a search to find all the posts about what they want to know about. Many newbies want the information right now. You can't blame them as the detection bug bites deep.

I also get a few emails and PM's asking me about detectors or hunting methods and such. Many times I know the answer but once in awhile I get stumped and I tell them so. I enjoy being able to help someone with not doing the mistakes I have made. My experience in prospecting is limited though my brother in NM knows that field well and does hunting of meteorites too. I was able to take him water hunting an he loved it even though he said the water was cold. When I started detecting there was no Internet and the only other hunter I knew was my dealer which helped me a lot.

I am very proud to have met Norm, the Golden Oldie long ago on a Galveston Beach. He was the one that showed me how to do the Happy Dance but told me to never do it on the beach as you didn't know who was watching you.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each winter iam frozen in here this is my second since i started MD,ing that gives me plenty of time to read research and ask a few questions on Brands and what ever opinions plus Google helps :notworthy: you guys are great on T-Net :icon_thumleft: if i cant get a answer on a question i guess there is no answer . Maybe next winter ill have more time to reasearch the all new and improved Minelab Excalibur III ? ::) What do ya think ? Good Hunting Jim

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
What Excalibur III? Tell us, c'mon.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Montauk3 said:

The one that can tell the difference between gold rings and pull tabs and has a scoop on the shaft that automatically scoops it up.........................

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 683
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 685

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
I wrote this because of a Question ask ,can you bring a shevol to the beach? know one would give a stright answer.All I am saying is give them a good answer.the answer was yes .

Sorry Ron, but I feel you are wrong, we all gave straight answers. Taking a shovel to most beaches to dig is not a good idea for our hobby, and it is not productive most times which is what our answers were, and they are straight answers.

You can take anything to the beach, If the question had been can you take a big screen TV to the beach to sit and watch while you fish, the answer is yes you could physically take a big screen TV, but is it a good idea NO, salt spray is detrimental to it.....

Many answers when it comes to this hobby are not yes or no answers if your interested in protecting metal detecting as a hobby..

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
erikk said:
Montauk3 said:

The one that can tell the difference between gold rings and pull tabs and has a scoop on the shaft that automatically scoops it up.........................
Three, I want three of them. Where can I get them. Did I mention that I want three of them? Get me just two of them and I'll be your best friend.

Actually, I'd settle for just one.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Can someone bring a shovel to the beach?

The straight answer is ask whomever is in charge of that beach. If there isn't anyone to ask, or you are unwilling to ask, then go ahead until someone either writes you a ticket or gives you the boot.

This type of question can't be answered with a yes or no.

But when it is possible to give a straight answer one is SOMETIMES taking a risk by offering it. The risk being the potential to lose "friends."

See, if someone asks: "Is this here _______ deetecktoor bran da deepest?" And I answer with: In my opinion _______ brand is deeper. Almost immediately I have 1-3 people showing as ignoring my posts and I get several nasty responses via posts or PMs.

See, to most of us here this is only a fun hobby and we take everything with a gain of salt. To others, everything posted here is a matter of life and death. It's the very source of their entire identity. There are some very sick people here.

Badger

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
Re: Beatting around the bush !!!!!!!!! (Shovel Question)

wow, I hope I didn't offend anyone by asking that question "can you bring a shovel to the beach". I was curious to see if anyone had done so, and also what answers I would get. Some places it may be illegal to do so. Like Calif for instance. I am also new to Florida. I like the many experienced people on tnet, and they gave good, straight answers. Even if it may of seemed like a dumb question. I felt a bit inspired to ask the question when I saw a post of a photo of "sanded in" a bench at a beach. That is "a lot" of sand, and thoughts of a shovel came to mind.

In some ways, it does seem obvious that it may be extreme to bring a shovel and do that kind of labor. Most mder's would let mother nature do all the heavy lifting with her storms & hurricanes, etc..

When we were kids, my siblings & I would bring shovels to the beach, in calif in the 70's and dig massive holes. Why? I'm not sure, but we were just kids, goofing off. Our parents made us fill them back up. Why do some kids do the things they do? Who knows?

So anyway, I hope I haven't irritated anyone here!! I do like to have some fun, and this was also a fun little question. I personally have not seen someone digging with a shovel on a beach in Florida. I am a little funny sometimes in I think that I can try digging like that, just to solve my curiousity.

anyhow, thanks for your replies, skt. HH. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread