Beautiful coin from an old yard

Reiska

Aug 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
GM4 Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today i went to visit a landowner whose fields i've been digging for a couple weeks now. The fields are seeded now so he gave me permission to dig on his yard.

I started detecting around the old house which is next to the new one. Found some pieces of iron and modern coins (1900->). I had almost made a full circle around the house when i got a faint, slightly trashy signal. like a big piece of iron or something masked by iron. It was right in between the house and a big old tree. First thing to come out was a nail off a horse shoe. I ran the coil over the hole and now the signal was much better, still faint. I dug deeper and finally found the target with my pinpointer. It was sitting sideways in the side of the hole and flipped onto the bottom, making a nice thud. Out came a russian 5 kopeks from 1793.

It couldn't have been in a better place. Covered from moisture by trees and the house.

Thick and heavy. 51g. Almost twice the weight of the second heaviest i've found.

I'll go back there this week. Happy hunting.

Upvote 9

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great_find.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, we dont get to see one of those often. Actually I've never see one. Congrats, that's a big coin!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the beautiful coin find! Awesome detail.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a MASSIVE coin ! Reminds me of the British Cartwheel tuppence of 1797- in terms of size /weight . You could chuck that
through a plate glass window no problem ! (I'm not suggesting you actually do that )

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread