Beautiful MA militia button!

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

It’s been a really long time since I’ve posted anything but I’ve been watching from the background. My detector hadn’t been working properly for the past year but I was lucky enough to get the equinox 800 for Christmas from my wife. I’ve taken it to a few spots that I’ve hit pretty hard in the past and was very happy with the way the nox performed! Yesterday I took it to a spot in the woods that has very few targets but the ones that are there have been beauties. I got a clear deep signal and started pulling clam shells out of the plug. I knew I was in the right spot! I flipped over one of the shells and the was a flat button stuck in the clump of dirt on the bottom of it! I thought ok that’s cool, but no biggie, just another button. I pulled the button out of the clump, took a light wipe and realized it looked like something special! I didn’t have anything with me to clean it so I placed it back in the shell and packed some dirt around it to keep it from drying out. I then swung back over the hole and had another clear signal! I was thinking it was another button. It turn out that the target I was so clearly picking up was the shank of the button I had just dug. Bummed that I broke it but impressed that the nox didn’t let me leave it behind. When I got home I got a tooth brush and tooth pick and lightly cleaned the dirt off of the button. Amazing detail left on the beautiful silver plated 1812 Massachusetts militia coat button! This is one of my top favorite finds as I don’t find much for early military. Glad to be back with a bang! Happy new year GL and HH! IMG_9879.jpg
IMG_9877.jpg
IMG_9881.jpg
IMG_9882.jpg
IMG_9890.jpg
IMG_9888.jpg

Upvote 24

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love, love, love the button!

aj

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just an absolutely awesome button- Congrats!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a fantastic button. Congrats!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Find and you saved the shank!!! Great pictures with clam.:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions