PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a quick thread about a find from Wed. afternoon, south of Turtle Trail in Vero. hoping someone might have some ideas for me on an ID.
About 4" down at the top of the waves just as the tide started to come in. AT Max set on "All Metal" no discrimination.
Overall it's about 8-1/2" long.

Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandle1.JPG Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandle4.JPG Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetal1.JPG Bi-metalBarW-Scale2.JPG
Iron end is about 3/4" diam. x 5-1/2" long.
Skinny end of the lighter metal goes from 3/16" to 1/2" in diam. and is +-3" long.

Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalJunctionClose1VNice.JPG Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalTipClose9VNice.JPG Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalJunctionClose4VNice.JPG
Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalJunctionClose5VNice.JPG Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalTipClose4.JPG

There appears to be an area where something may have been "crimped" to the thicker part of the lighter metal.
Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalTipVClose12NiceCrimps.JPG Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalTipVClose13Crimps.JPG Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalTipClose9NiceTaper.JPG

Thanks for looking but I've gotta get back out there and see if I can find the rest of it. I'll be back late tonight.

Upvote 4

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find.....Found this almost in the same exact location,one year ago. weathering & age Looks like your 5th pix. Maybe remains of 1715 ??? 052.JPG

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very curious find.
I'll be checking back on this one...

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find.....Found this almost in the same exact location,one year ago. weathering & age Looks like your 5th pix. Maybe remains of 1715 ??? View attachment 1890349

RTR, Very nice and thanks for the image. It does have some very strong similarities. About how long was the thinner metal through the middle of the iron piece?
Here's another image of the iron part. Bi-metalBarWroughtEnd1.JPG
And the butt end of the same part. Bi-metalBarWroughtEndButt1.JPG

Very curious find.
I'll be checking back on this one...

WC1750, Good to hear since it gets a little better from when I went back today.

Possible early soldering iron? Just a Guess :dontknow: Thanks Paul:coffee2:
Thanks Paul. Could be since I don't really have a clue but why would the end be iron and not wood. It seems it might get to hot to handle? And the six or so little "crimps or dimples" towards the end seem odd for a soldering iron. They seem to be where something was attached.
Here's an image of the smaller end.

Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalTipClose9Better.JPG
Bi-metalBarW-OrangeHandleLighterMetalJunctionClose6VNice.JPG

Yes, thinking the same thing ... 1715 Fleet ?

Thanks Etrac. In that vicinity and seems possible with the iron on the end.
Plus I was emailing with a diver/author last week who told me ships from many eras are stacked on top of each other along the coast. I know some of the 1715 ships have been positively ID'd but (almost?) all of ships passing through these waters since the 1500's passed by these waters on their way back to Europe. Every year there were probably dozens of ships trying to thread the "hurricane needle" with 10-20 storms and make it into the north Atlantic before becoming Toreodor worm bait. All those ships that didn't make it past the coast are what makes it difficult to verify which ship is actually at which location. Lots of co-mingled destruction and artifacts.

I did find some more iron when I went back today. Three interesting pieces that might tie in with this one. It will take me a while to put the images together. Bear with me.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete........ here's another pix. of it, the metal thing/nail is 2.75" long 583.JPG

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pretty cool finds - interesting

vp

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the delay. Exhausted and had to remove three traveler palm trees yesterday.

Here are images of items found New Years day after quickly posting this thread and even a couple of pieces found earlier in the week, same area and similar iron composition.
Three pieces- the tapered one (middle) with the hole in the end was found 1/1/21 in the wave wash among shells. The other two found previously (past week or so) and re-discovered in my pouch after the new years day finds.
3PieceIronBarGroup1.JPG 3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-TaperedPieceB-End2Hole-VNice.JPG 3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-TaperedPieceB-Profile-Scale5-VNice.JPG 3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-TaperedPieceB-End1VNice.JPG

Here it is using a cotton swab to show the diameter of the hole and how deep the hole is. Similar in diameter to the lighter metal of the Bi-metal piece in the iron.
3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-TaperedPieceB-Profile-Scale6-QtipInserted3VNice.JPG 3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-TaperedPieceB-Profile-Scale6-QtipInserted4VNice.JPG

I might be imaging this but the end of the larger piece (left) seem curved like the metal in the iron end of the bi-metal piece.

Next up:
Here are some images of the two pieces that might have fit together at one time. (They are not pistol shaped as it appears in the "joined" image but I had to use thin items, quarter & ocean glass, to keep them from rolling.)

3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-LargePiececA-End2-MergeWBi-MetalPiece1-OK.JPG 3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-LargePiececA-End2-MergeWBi-MetalPiece-InsideCurve1-OK.JPG 3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-LargePiececA-End2VNice.JPG
3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-LargePiececA-End2-MergeWBi-MetalPiece-InsideCurve4-DualEnds8-VNice.JPG 3PieceIronBarGroup-Close-LargePiececA-End2-MergeWBi-MetalPiece-InsideCurve4-DualEnds4-Nice.JPG

Last thing to show was a conglomerate of iron about the size of a very large hand sized clam that weighed 1.6 lb. found in the same area as the bi-metal from Wed., and the tapered piece with the hole in the end. My first, second and third thought was that this was the remnants of a cannon ball but while taking images the concretion seems to permeate the entire piece with the ends of round iron bar visible.

LargeConglomerate-26oz-ClamShapeEdge-DeepRed1.JPG LargeConglomerate-26oz-ClamShapeProfile-Blackish1.JPG
LargeConglomerate-26oz-ClamShapeEdge-DeepRedCircle4VNice.JPG

I'm not sue what to do with the conglomerate. Remove the encrustation with acid or wait for time to crack it open and see what is inside? Hmmmm.... ???

Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interested to see whats inside that conglomerate , if anything. I'd have to crack that baby open.:) How about X-ray someplace ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if the Mel Fisher Museum in Sebastian would consider it or if anyone here might know where to go locally.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth a call,or a drive.Who knows whats inside,could very well be...:) :treasurechest:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting