Beautiful Rhode Island C.W. button, Wheats, silvers, and more

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made it out to a new permission yesterday and had some notable finds. The best find by far was the Rhode Island unit Civil War button. It really cleaned up nice and the picture doesn't do it justice. It has much of the original gilt left on it, and is in beautiful condition. It was made by Scovill between 1850 and 1865. When it came out of the ground, it was so crappy I had no idea what it was until I got home and gave it a lemon juice and toothbrush cleaning. Also found another button, shankless with some of the silver plating left, and the back is marked plated, London with a crown. Both buttons are a little smaller than a quarter. IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0010.JPG Not sure about this one. 1941 Merc and 1946 Rosie, 10 Wheats oldest a 1910, flattened coin silver spoon bowl, 1941 Blair County, Pa dog license, a little charm, and a lead seal with NYC and HRRR marked on it. I also have no idea about this one. A nice hunt and a beautiful fall day to be out. Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

Upvote 9

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bale seal you have there is actually a pretty interesting one. It's from the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. At one point they had what was billed as the fastest locomotive which supposedly could travel 100mph, although they were probably exaggerating for marketing effect. Cool finds!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those buttons. The coat size RI is perfect. Always wanted to dig one of those on one of my many excursions to Civil War sites in VA and WV. The basket weave button is probably circa 1810. Love the back mark on that one.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job John nice silver and buttons cant wait to see your Year end totals. Keep up the great finds my friend. Tommy

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bale seal you have there is actually a pretty interesting one. It's from the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. At one point they had what was billed as the fastest locomotive which supposedly could travel 100mph, although they were probably exaggerating for marketing effect. Cool finds!
I had no idea about the bale seal, but that certainly makes sense. We had an old railroad station in my small town many moons ago and I can understand how that might have made it here. I have found other cool railroad artifacts in the same area. Thank you.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job John nice silver and buttons cant wait to see your Year end totals. Keep up the great finds my friend. Tommy

Thanks, Tommy. I can't imagine what will pop out of the ground next, but that is what this hobby is all about.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those buttons. The coat size RI is perfect. Always wanted to dig one of those on one of my many excursions to Civil War sites in VA and WV. The basket weave button is probably circa 1810. Love the back mark on that one.

Thanks again, Steve for your right on info. I couldn't believe what the RI button was when it cleaned up. I am going to post some other buttons on the what is it forum shortly that I am not sure about. These are not recent finds, but there is one in particular that I am really curious about.

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That’s an awesome RI CW button. Great bunch of recoveries! Congrats

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow sweet Rhode island button real nice detail congrats on all your finds.....:icon_thumright:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it all. The buttons and silver are real nice saves. You did a great job cleaning the button. Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread