Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wow,just wow.how much does all that weigh?8oz?
brad

Hi Brad,

My apologies, but the total weight is something I just don't post on the Internet, but as you can tell from the pan, which is a full-size gold pan, that's a lot of space with a nice collection of coarse and fine gold (the super-fines aren't in the pan), and it was some kind of fun-on-steroids to find it too!

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking forward to the STORY!!

It will take a while, but I'll get around to it for sure sometime.

Thanks for dropping in as it's always good to hear from you, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks like a dream day right there; also looking forward to the story Lanny, congrats!

You know, I have dreamt of finding nuggets before, but never that many over such a short period of time, which is a bit crazy.

Thanks for dropping in, and thanks for looking forward to the story.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great info and pics as usual Lanny, thanks much-John :icon_thumleft:

John,

Great to hear from you again, and I hope you've been able to get out to chase some gold lately.

As always, thanks for your kind words too.

All the best,

Lanny

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it looks like you have rich virgin ground (uncovered by heavy equipment), and some top of the line detectors. Recipe for the kind of weekend you had..much unlike the typical recovery most people have scratching through left overs.
The gold racer in high tone, audio boosts mode is capable of some really small gold when your using the small 5” round coil. Similiar to the GB2. The biggest coil is also worth buying in my opinion.
Congrats on the pocket of gold. Hopefully it’s just the beginning.,

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny, (what everybody else has commented for congratulations) and :headbang:…………………63bkpkr

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny, (what everybody else has commented for congratulations) and :headbang:…………………63bkpkr

Thanks Herb.

Always great to hear from you.

All the best,

Lanny

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah Lanny. It has been a long while since I was on this forum and was wondering about your adventures and tips. You have not disappointed. While I have been having fun with silver, reading your journals makes me crave another trip to Atlin. Good job, my friend.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ah Lanny. It has been a long while since I was on this forum and was wondering about your adventures and tips. You have not disappointed. While I have been having fun with silver, reading your journals makes me crave another trip to Atlin. Good job, my friend.

So great to hear from you again! Glad you reached out to see how things have been going.

I haven't even had a chance to write-up the second trip, the one after the bonanza trip on the long weekend, as that second trip produced some great gold as well, but that will be a story when I find the time as right now I'm taking every chance I can to get out there to chase the gold while the weather feels like cooperating.

I'm happy you've actually been to Atlin; I had a trip planned, but then we had to cancel at the last moment, had some issues come up we needed to deal with. But, Atlin is still on the bucket list; lots of big gold found up there.

On the same topic of Atlin, I'll never forget the story told by Dave McCracken of how they dredged (illegally) in Atlin and found all kinds of gold. Quite the tale actually: » Striking it Rich in British Columbia

Hope to make it to Atlin one day to try to get a coil over some of that monster gold.

All the best,

Lanny

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wondered if you got to Atlin. I have not been back for a few years, but will go again this fall or next. The story about dredging up there got my juices running about the area many years ago. I have let my claims slide, as I am too far away and still working at a "real" job. It is a blast finding silver, but I still love being in the BC mountains for gold.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wondered if you got to Atlin. I have not been back for a few years, but will go again this fall or next. The story about dredging up there got my juices running about the area many years ago. I have let my claims slide, as I am too far away and still working at a "real" job. It is a blast finding silver, but I still love being in the BC mountains for gold.

I tried to get to Atlin, but it just didn't work out. So, it's still on the list to visit one day, and I too am tied up with work for a bit longer.

I'd love to see Atlin though, and I too am juiced about visiting some day.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So,

It looks like in the next month or so, I should get a chance to hammer out another story or two.

Winter is still holding off for a bit longer although Old Man Winter did bare his teeth this week with a shocking, snowy temper tantrum! However, the snow is gradually melting away, and hopefully that warming trend will provide a few more opportunities to get out and chase some more gold before this land of the frozen chosen (gold chasers) is locked down by the cold and silent white.

I've actually been working on my gold tales book, but it will take some concentrated time to bring it all together; however, the first step being the hardest, the journey to write my book has begun in a more formal fashion. (End date yet to be determined.)

While writing and reflecting on some of my almost thirty years of gold adventures (From Alaska to Arizona), I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the volume of pictures I've acquired, let alone the sheer number of stories I've written (ones posted and not posted) about the grand and mysterious adventure of finding the gold, that enjoyable and challenging pursuit that I've grown to love so much.

On a different note, I've met such wonderful people along the way, it amazes me that in spite of the steady, daily diet of bad news of a world filled with terrible people, there yet remains an abundance of good people, ones that never get any press. Moreover, the overwhelming majority of people I meet in the wild really are fine people. (Yes, there's been a few stinkers along the way, but the kind and helpful majority have truly fortified my faith in humanity.)

As I know this forum has led me to some of those aforementioned wonderful people, I'm grateful for the opportunity TreasureNet has provided me over the years to make those lasting, human connections. Thanks to those of you that have reached out to me to share your knowledge and secrets of how to find the elusive golden treasure that Mother Nature has so carefully hidden, and to those of you that have encouraged me to keep writing. Mostly though, thanks to those I've connected with for being such great people.

All the best,

Lanny

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great to hear from you Lanny.

Winter surely is just around the corner. The firewood is cut, stacked and dried, the albacore, vegetables and fruit is canned, dehydrated or frozen and I’m on the hunt for a couple tasty blacktails. Salmon and steelhead will be running in the Smith River soon and we’ll process some of those as well. I’ll next put the garden to bed and clean the chimney. Then, let old man winter come.

Your steady, considerate and entertaining manner of writing is much appreciated. I truly enjoy looking over your shoulder through the long winter.

Your writings on the forums is fine and should be around for quite a while, but the book(s) you write will be a legacy which will outlive all of us. My copies will go to my two sons.

Thanks Lanny, keep warm and happy,
Mike

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been waiting to see the finish up to that little pile, please don't keep us waiting to awfully long.
Gt.....

Hi there,

As long as I can still chase the gold, I'll have to hold off finishing the story, but as soon as winter locks me down, the writing will start up again.

Thanks for your interest and encouragement, and all the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great to hear from you Lanny.

Winter surely is just around the corner. The firewood is cut, stacked and dried, the albacore, vegetables and fruit is canned, dehydrated or frozen and I’m on the hunt for a couple tasty blacktails. Salmon and steelhead will be running in the Smith River soon and we’ll process some of those as well. I’ll next put the garden to bed and clean the chimney. Then, let old man winter come.

Your steady, considerate and entertaining manner of writing is much appreciated. I truly enjoy looking over your shoulder through the long winter.

Your writings on the forums is fine and should be around for quite a while, but the book(s) you write will be a legacy which will outlive all of us. My copies will go to my two sons.

Thanks Lanny, keep warm and happy,
Mike

Mike, what a great and entertaining summary of what you've been up to, and what you're still going to do to get ready for winter! I was able to picture it all clearly. So, thanks for that.

It sounds like you surely live in a beautiful location where Nature's bounty overflows!

My deepest thanks for your kind comments about the writing, and I'm glad you've enjoyed the stories over the years.

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread