Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 7

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a recently published author, I’d be happy to chat with you about the process and your publishing options if you like.

Thanks for the generous offer Kevin, much appreciated.

What's the name of your book please?

All the best,

Lanny

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the generous offer Kevin, much appreciated.

What's the name of your book please?

All the best,

Lanny

Finding Gold In Colorado (it’s on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and in almost all the prospecting shops around CO). I’m proud to say it’s very well reviewed on Amazon and is selling well!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Lanny, do not forget yourself as being one of those kind and wonderful people as you are! We here have enjoyed your sharing & writing style and look forward to your sharing with us your continuing adventures "out there"!

I was able to get out in the mountains, though not a full blown trip down to the river, where I labored hard but did not quite get to where I wanted too. Still it was worth the effort I expended to see just how far I could go. The last day I did a little bit too much pushing of the muscles and joints, the joints have not stopped complaining. Enjoy the last bit of time you have out there this year, all my best wishes to your and yours!...................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Lanny, do not forget yourself as being one of those kind and wonderful people as you are! We here have enjoyed your sharing & writing style and look forward to your sharing with us your continuing adventures "out there"!

I was able to get out in the mountains, though not a full blown trip down to the river, where I labored hard but did not quite get to where I wanted too. Still it was worth the effort I expended to see just how far I could go. The last day I did a little bit too much pushing of the muscles and joints, the joints have not stopped complaining. Enjoy the last bit of time you have out there this year, all my best wishes to your and yours!...................63bkpkr

Thanks Herb! Your input is always appreciated, and many thanks for the kind words about this thread.

When I first started it, I had no idea how long it would continue or how many great people I'd meet because of the love of chasing the gold.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to make a trip this season as I know it's been one of your great wishes to chase the gold in your beloved hills again. I'm glad you were able to push yourself some to get out there in the wilds, but happy to know you didn't injure yourself either so you've been able to avoid a setback in your healing.

I look forward to reading of another of your classic adventures when you're fully recovered as you certainly do get yourself into some spectacular country in your quest for the noble metal.

We're currently in the embrace of some unseasonably warm weather (which is a fantastic break from the cold nastiness we got slapped with early in the fall), so I'll be chasing the gold until Old Man Winter locks the gold vault to end this current season.

All the best my friend,

Lanny

All the best,

Lanny

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Playing with a Garrett XL-500, it got wet.
Minelab Nox-600.
Garrett pinpointer Pro, Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Lanny,
I have been sweeping, swinging and pinpointing on your excellent stories along with other member's fine reads, and I just can't be quiet anymore.

You are a gem story teller, but also a fine teacher when it comes to learning about the nuances and particular ways of discerning the language these machines speak. I have been trying to just not say anything due to the age of the thread, but I know you are still around and just can't contain myself anymore to compliment you on your willingness to disseminate valuable advice and personal experiences.

For a guy like myself, a wannabe prospector from the early seventies of and on, (but believe me when I say that I can't even be considered to be standing in the lineup to become one) these stories just make me want to quit whatever I'm doing and pack up and go hunting like I used to.
I do go out and practice my skills and do get results from time to time, and at this point I am actively gathering courage and momentum to finally throw in the towel on working for a living, acknowledge that I deserve my retirement, and head back to BC to work even harder on getting back to what I like doing best, swatting no see-ums, Black flies and making Horseflies go straight up, never to be seen again, and of course applying the vast knowledge gathered from the tailings left behind here by the more experienced "old salts" like yourself and a few others.
And believe it or not, you will be looked at as one of them thar "ol' timers" who knew things we could only dream of, just as we look at those who came before us. Matter of fact, an "old salt" younger than myself got me started on panning when he was just a beginner himself, but a legend in my mind!
But I digress,
After all it's people like you, Jim H, Eagle, Nuggy and a few more, who cause recruiting to happen by example, experiences revealed, and just plain fun story telling.
I am furiously absorbing info for an enhanced approach to panning, digging and detecting that will augment the little bit of knowledge I currently posess, and story telling is on that list also, as I am naturally inclined the same way.
Hats off and much regard, eyeball (John.)

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...
change the "someday" to a pertinent date in your life, one that could possibly really happen, and start gearing up for some pre-retirement holidays/vacations to areas where prospecting is possible for you, and sort of trickle into a "gotta go panning" or swinging a coil over some suspect area this weekend. Don't put it off but get everyone involved if you have family...EVERYONE likes Gold 😁.
If you've done everything you can to to accomplish that, then go and do it.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Lanny,
I have been sweeping, swinging and pinpointing on your excellent stories along with other member's fine reads, and I just can't be quiet anymore.

You are a gem story teller, but also a fine teacher when it comes to learning about the nuances and particular ways of discerning the language these machines speak. I have been trying to just not say anything due to the age of the thread, but I know you are still around and just can't contain myself anymore to compliment you on your willingness to disseminate valuable advice and personal experiences.

For a guy like myself, a wannabe prospector from the early seventies of and on, (but believe me when I say that I can't even be considered to be standing in the lineup to become one) these stories just make me want to quit whatever I'm doing and pack up and go hunting like I used to.
I do go out and practice my skills and do get results from time to time, and at this point I am actively gathering courage and momentum to finally throw in the towel on working for a living, acknowledge that I deserve my retirement, and head back to BC to work even harder on getting back to what I like doing best, swatting no see-ums, Black flies and making Horseflies go straight up, never to be seen again, and of course applying the vast knowledge gathered from the tailings left behind here by the more experienced "old salts" like yourself and a few others.
And believe it or not, you will be looked at as one of them thar "ol' timers" who knew things we could only dream of, just as we look at those who came before us. Matter of fact, an "old salt" younger than myself got me started on panning when he was just a beginner himself, but a legend in my mind!
But I digress,
After all it's people like you, Jim H, Eagle, Nuggy and a few more, who cause recruiting to happen by example, experiences revealed, and just plain fun story telling.
I am furiously absorbing info for an enhanced approach to panning, digging and detecting that will augment the little bit of knowledge I currently posess, and story telling is on that list also, as I am naturally inclined the same way.
Hats off and much regard, eyeball (John.)

Wow! What can I say to compliments and thanks like that?

Your kind words are much appreciated, and not only am I glad that you've enjoyed reading some of the stories and tips, but I'm very happy you took the time to say so, as I've sure spent a lot time adding items to this thread since its birth long ages ago. Moreover, like you, I've found some valuable prospecting insight through reading the tales and the tips of the legends you've mentioned as well.

By way of reflection, all of us can surely help each other if we take a bit of time to share, and many surely have helped me too as I've gone through the recursive learning loops of how to chase the gold. So, I'm glad you've enjoyed what you've read and grateful that you took the time to say so.

Had a bonanza weekend the first weekend of November, but that's a story I have yet to write about as well.

The best part of that outing was that my son was with me. I've been training him how to shoot nuggets, and he's really taken to it like a pro, and he's having fantastic success to boot, so that's about as good as it can get for a dad I'd think.

All the best, and thanks again,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wanna do that!!!!!! Someday

If you really want to, you will, and this is a great place with great people that can help you know what you need to know to get there at your chosen time.

Good luck, and all the best,

Lanny

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finding Gold In Colorado (it’s on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and in almost all the prospecting shops around CO). I’m proud to say it’s very well reviewed on Amazon and is selling well!

I would like an autographed copy! PayPal? PM me Please!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW! Danger Will Robinson!!!!:headbang:

Eyeball

Oct 15, 2018
North Bay area
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, sold.
Garrett Ace 250.
Minelab Excal II.
Minelab Nox-600.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I came up for a deep breath from reading the thread, and I must say that the original take has only improved. It is amazing to me that there can be so much useful info here, some I remember, some I totally grasp, and some I realize I should have known, though mostly what I didn't know but do now.

I think I stumbled on a true mother of a vein here.

like I stated elsewhere, I was in the process of gearing up for a last burst of "I'm gonna do it one more time dimmit!" and got flattened with this excellent source of everything I need.
Be sure to know that this is not just flattery, but also a simple recognition of unadulterated useful writing and knowledge sharing, something that is fast becoming unpopular with the "new world order" but that I want to jump into with both feet.
I am very thankful for its timeliness, and your willingness to share (and the other friends as well,) I feel at home here, or I would never be this open.

Ok, I'll stop now lol.
If you'll pardon the pun Lanny, I found my gold mine here, and can smell some Silver too, ( thank you Jim H for your contributions also, I'll be sampling that too,) this is my library.

I never knew there were so many folks into prospecting and beaming up nuggets with them thar newfangled lectromagnetic dètectors...the more, the merrier and the bigger the Bear Barbeques!

I still have a shipload of reading to catch up on, but I'm here to stay.

I'll be back! eyeball.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some recent finds.

A.Gold.JPG

A hand-made wooden wheel with an iron rim, pulled out of an old drift mine.

A.Handmade cart wheel.JPG
This wheel came out of a deep drift mine, one worked in the 1800's when they had to pack in all of their iron, thus the rim of the wheel only covered in iron.

A.Mine Cart Wheel.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The simple beauty of a mountain swamp.

A.Swamp.JPG

The magic of fall in the mountains.

A.Lot of mountain.JPG

A.Golden Road.JPG

A.River.JPG

A.Long shot.JPG

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of this past summer's goodies are starting to add up.

A.Gold Bowl.JPG

A.Palm nuggets.JPG

A.Gold Scale.JPG

A.Cup of gold.JPG

A.Dime nuggets.JPG

Hope to be able to write some stories about chasing the gold when I get a chance, still haven't had the time as the weather hasn't decided to shut things down just yet.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread