Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If any of you enjoy reading about mines and history, I found the link below and read the entire story.

Lots of incredible pictures in an unbelievably beautiful mountainous area, and there's good descriptions of the author's purpose for being at this historic mine. By the way, some of the writing is technical, very geological in content, and some of it is very laid back and informal.

It's about a mine way up in British Columbia, near Atlin, which is near the Yukon and Alaska borders. The story of this find started in 1899 and has continued on and off since. There's some current work and sampling underway at present, but no active mining.

I hope you enjoy the read.

The Engineer Mine, Atlin, British Columbia

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dropped in today and found this thread had gone over 100,000!

I'm so grateful for all of you that have taken the time over the years to encourage me to keep on writing my stories.

Story writing is hard work, and it takes a ton of time, and for Internet writer's like me, it's the only recognition we get. (Ask Eagle sometime.)

So, thanks so much for the milestone, for your kind encouragement and for your generous participation.

All the best,

Lanny

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny… that was another fine article written by David Joyce. I recently read his co-authored article entitled The Cobalt Mining District, Cobalt, Ontario, Canada in the Nov-Dec 2012, Volume 43, Number 6 edition of “The Mineralogical Record”… an international publication for mineral collectors.

My understanding is that David Joyce graduated the Mining Technology Program at the Haileybury School of Mines of Ontario… almost within rifle shot of some of the areas I search… and he has earned a highly respected name within the mining community over the course of his career. Aside from his mining and mineralogical endeavors… he is also an explosives expert.

Although I haven’t met him personally, this fellow is well known to me via other local contacts. In fact he resides only a few kilometers away… and regularly frequents the Ontario silverfields. Aside from other accomplishments, David Joyce is an established mineral collector and dealer with invaluable mining contacts throughout Canada... and no doubt elsewhere.

Many thanks for bringing the above article to our notice... an excellent piece that I thoroughly enjoyed.
:icon_thumleft:

Jim.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's awesome Lanny! Thank you so much, I have learned a lot from your stories and the wisdom within.

Why thank you so very much! I'm glad you've picked up a thing or two.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny… that was another fine article written by David Joyce. I recently read his co-authored article entitled The Cobalt Mining District, Cobalt, Ontario, Canada in the Nov-Dec 2012, Volume 43, Number 6 edition of “The Mineralogical Record”… an international publication for mineral collectors.

My understanding is that David Joyce graduated the Mining Technology Program at the Haileybury School of Mines of Ontario… almost within rifle shot of some of the areas I search… and he has earned a highly respected name within the mining community over the course of his career. Aside from his mining and mineralogical endeavors… he is also an explosives expert.

Although I haven’t met him personally, this fellow is well known to me via other local contacts. In fact he resides only a few kilometers away… and regularly frequents the Ontario silverfields. Aside from other accomplishments, David Joyce is an established mineral collector and dealer with invaluable mining contacts throughout Canada... and no doubt elsewhere.

Many thanks for bringing the above article to our notice... an excellent piece that I thoroughly enjoyed.
:icon_thumleft:

Jim.

Jim,

Thanks for the background on the author, and as usual, thanks for the depth of detail as well. Much like your posts, your response is filled with specific detail and pertinent information. I'll have to check out some more of his writings.

For the rest of you, search Jim's posts and have a read. He really knows what he's talking about when it comes to metal detecting for native silver, and he's very successful at it; moreover, he has first-class knowledge of how his detectors work!

All the best,

Lanny

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Lanny,
You well deserve the 100,00 mark as you nourish your site with interesting narratives, great photographs, kindness and information well worth taking the time to read. Good on ya...........63bkpkr/Herb

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Story writing is hard work, and it takes a ton of time, and for Internet writer's like me, it's the only recognition we get. (Ask Eagle sometime.

Lanny

I am sure the ICMJ would like to pay you to submit articles. My last two got published and working on next one now. Now that I quit my day job I need the income!

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dropped in today and found this thread had gone over 100,000!

I'm so grateful for all of you that have taken the time over the years to encourage me to keep on writing my stories.

Story writing is hard work, and it takes a ton of time, and for Internet writer's like me, it's the only recognition we get. (Ask Eagle sometime.)

So, thanks so much for the milestone, for your kind encouragement and for your generous participation.

All the best,

Lanny
And, a well deserved "land-mark" number it is!! I just checked my thread and it's only up to 60,279. Perhaps one of these days. (lol)
I know that one of my main pleasures over the last 4+ years has been reading and (sometimes) re-reading your fantastic stories and viewing the beautiful photos of BC. (And gold)

You're doing great Brother!!

PS, You're quite correct in your statement that "Story writing is hard work, and it takes a ton of time". And, we take all of the encouragement we can get, with utmost gratitude.

All the best to you Brother!

Eagle

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi EagleDown,

Good to see you posting again! How are you doing? Tomorrow will be my first week since surgery on my shoulder, can't say it feels good but it will improve and that is what I am after. Take care..................63bkpkr

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi EagleDown,

Good to see you posting again! How are you doing? Tomorrow will be my first week since surgery on my shoulder, can't say it feels good but it will improve and that is what I am after. Take care..................63bkpkr
I'm doing very well thank you! The cardiologist said he's never had a patient that healed as fast as I have. And, I'm feeling stronger every day. I've been out with my new Whites TDI for short hunts several times in the past couple of weeks. I haven't found any gold yet, but I'm getting quite a collection of lead and bullet casings. (lol)

Take care of that shoulder Brother, you'll be needing it when you get out on the streams.

Eagle

Gravelwasher

Jan 3, 2011
El Dorado County
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hello EagleDown,

You and me both brother, have quite a collection of square nails, bottle caps and lead bullets, old and new..lol Keep at it and you will score for sure. Let me know if you want to get together for a hunt sometime, can travel and meet you in your neck of the woods. All the best, good to hear your healing up quick, Jay

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello EagleDown,

You and me both brother, have quite a collection of square nails, bottle caps and lead bullets, old and new..lol Keep at it and you will score for sure. Let me know if you want to get together for a hunt sometime, can travel and meet you in your neck of the woods. All the best, good to hear your healing up quick, Jay
Thank you my Friend!! Depending on the weather of course, I plan to be on the river on the 13th of April. Doing a little panning and metal detecting. I'm trying to put this Whites TDI through all the (extreem) tests that I can. (lol) If you, or anyone else would like to share my day, you're more than welcome.

Eagle

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown,
I'm thrilled to hear you've a new TDI! Please keep us informed about your work with it! I'm chomping at the bit to be out there but I 'MUST' take care of this shoulder so I Have to Stay Away from where I want to be for some time till I have all three surgeries healed up. One down, two more to go.

Keep getting better and better....................63bkpkr

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EagleDown,
I'm thrilled to hear you've a new TDI! Please keep us informed about your work with it! I'm chomping at the bit to be out there but I 'MUST' take care of this shoulder so I Have to Stay Away from where I want to be for some time till I have all three surgeries healed up. One down, two more to go.

Keep getting better and better....................63bkpkr
I will keep you informed Brother.

As I posted in my thread, I've already found that it totally ignores hot rocks. I recently did an experiment where mgb brought me a couple of hot rocks that he couldn't tune out with his detector. I checked them with the TDI and as I expected, it ignored them. Then I placed my 1dwt gold nugget on the ground and checked it. Then we covered the nugget with the 2 hot rocks and I checked again. I couldn't tell any difference in the strength of the signal with or without the hot rocks.

Since I already know it has no problem finding small pieces of lead, all in all, I find that pretty promising and am looking forward to getting back out into the field.

Take care Brother and get well.

Eagle

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello Lanny,
You well deserve the 100,00 mark as you nourish your site with interesting narratives, great photographs, kindness and information well worth taking the time to read. Good on ya...........63bkpkr/Herb

Herb, as always, it's great to hear from you, and I hope you're recovering well from your surgery. Your support, friendship, compliments, and advice have always been very appreciated and valued.

All the best, and thanks for being such a great guy,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO Lanny here's to 100,000 more sir,nuttn' but respect-John

John,

Thanks for your respect and kindness, and thanks for taking the time to drop in with the best wishes.

I'll be out of contact for a bit, but I'll take the opportunity you so kindly offered me earlier, and we'll make it happen.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am sure the ICMJ would like to pay you to submit articles. My last two got published and working on next one now. Now that I quit my day job I need the income!

Steve,

As always, your input is greatly valued, and I respect your opinion deeply as well.

I have learned so much from the free information and no nonsense advice you've posted on the Internet over the years, on your business pages, and on your forum (now done?), and on other forums as well.

The thing I've most appreciated about you is your no bull advice--your straight-shooting style is refreshing and invaluable.

Thanks for the generous compliment about the writing, and I'm eagerly looking forward to your book.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And, a well deserved "land-mark" number it is!! I just checked my thread and it's only up to 60,279. Perhaps one of these days. (lol)
I know that one of my main pleasures over the last 4+ years has been reading and (sometimes) re-reading your fantastic stories and viewing the beautiful photos of BC. (And gold)

You're doing great Brother!!

PS, You're quite correct in your statement that "Story writing is hard work, and it takes a ton of time". And, we take all of the encouragement we can get, with utmost gratitude.

All the best to you Brother!

Eagle

Eagle,

I knew if anyone would or could appreciate the comment about the demands and rewards of writing, it would be you. I love your warm, story-telling tone, and the quality of the caliber of your adventures.

I still remember reading your first stories--I knew you had a great style that people would love reading--and they do!

I'm sure you'll quickly eclipse any benchmark I achieve, and you certainly deserve it.

Thanks so much for your kind compliments about the writing and the pictures.

I'm positive that your book will be well received, and I trust you'll let me know when it's ready so that I can purchase an autographed copy. Moreover though, I'm very glad that your surgery has worked out so well.

All the best my friend,

Lanny

P.S. The nuggets will come--keep digging the lead and casings and eventually you'll hit the gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread