Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you love to chase the gold? Please join me--lots of gold hunting tips, stories of finds (successful and not), and prospecting poetry.

Nugget in the bedrock tip:

I had a visit with a mining buddy this past weekend, and he told me of an epic battle to get a nugget out of the bedrock, and of what he learned from the experience. I thought some of you might like to learn from his mistake.

While out detecting one day, he came across a large sheet of bare bedrock. The bedrock was exposed because the area had been blasted off with a water cannon (a monitor), by the old-timers! It was not fractured bedrock, in fact it was totally smooth.

He was not optimistic at all of the prospects of a nugget. But, for some reason (we've all been there) he decided to swing his detector over that bedrock. After a long time, just as he was about to give up on his crazy hunch, he got a signal, right out of that smooth bedrock.

There was no crevice, no sign of a crevice, nada! So, he had to go all the way back to camp to get a small sledge and a chisel. The signal in the rock intrigued him, but he still wasn't overly optimistic. For those of you that have chased signals in a similar situation, sometimes there's a patch of hot mineralization in the bedrock that sounds off, but this spot, according to him, was sharp and clear right in the middle of the signal, not just a general increase of the threshold like you get when you pass over a hot spot in the bedrock.

Anyway, he made it back to the spot and started to chisel his way into the bedrock. If any of you have tried this, it's an awful job, and you usually wind up with cut knuckles--at the least! Regardless, he kept fighting his way down, busting out chunks of bedrock. He kept checking the hole, and the signal remained very strong.

This only puzzled him all the more as he could clearly see that it was solid bedrock with no sign of any crevice. He finally quit at the end of the day, at a depth of about a foot, but still, nothing in the hole.

An experienced nugget shooting friend dropped by the next morning to see him, and asked him how the hunt was going. My buddy related his tale of the mysterious hole in the bedrock, and told the friend to go over and check it out, and see if he could solve the riddle.

Later in the day, the other nugget hunter returned. In his hand was a fine, fat, sassy nugget. It weighed in at about an ounce and a quarter! After my friend returned his eyeballs to their sockets and zapped his heart to start it again, he asked where the nugget had come from.

Imagine his surprise when he heard it came from the mystery hole!! He asked how deep the other guy had gone into the bedrock to get it. "Well, no deeper" was his reply.

So, here's the rest of the story as to what happened. When the successful nugget hunter got to the bedrock, he scanned the surface got the same strong signal as my buddy. He widened out the hole and scanned again. Still a solid tone. He widened the hole some more so he could get his coil in, and here's the key and the lesson in this story, he got a strong signal off the side of the hole, about six inches down, but set back another inch into the side of the bedrock!!

My unlucky friend, the true discoverer of the gorgeous nugget's resting place had gone deep past the signal while digging his hole!!

Now, of course, a good pinpointer would easily solve this problem. The problem was, my buddy didn't have one, so why would he widen the hole, right? Well, the other guy was the one with more experience, and that's why he did. It was a lot more work, but what a payoff!

So, my buddy's butt is still black and blue from where he kicked himself for the next week or so for having lost such an incredible prize.

Some nugget hunting lessons are harder than others to learn. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

P.S. When in gold country--check the bedrock, regardless of whether it looks likely or not! Mother Nature likes to play games sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 7

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did something crazy last weekend. My wife had the itch to go panning, so we went--it was snowing--both days!! I took lots of pictures as I've never been panning while it was snowing before. I'll get the pictures together and post a little something. It was a unique experience, and the territory was exceptionally beautiful in its own right.

All the best,

Lanny

Looking forward to those photos Lanny... this thread has been too quiet lately. :)

Jim.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes indeed Lanny has been very quiet for some time now. It is obvious he is missed and for a variety of reasons among them his pictures, writing, humor and ability to astound us with his finds. Greetings Lanny.................63bkpkr

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with you guys... really the photo request was just an excuse to bump this thread up and get Lanny's attention. The main reason is that Lanny is one of the genuinely fine people we have the good luck to run across in life... we all value such folks... and that's in addition to Lanny's obvious abilities. I intend to stay in touch with this jasper... it doesn't hurt to let people know we value them in our lives.

I can only imagine he is pretty busy about now, but Lanny if you're around... don't be concerned about the photos... me and some of the guys simply wondered what you're doing lately... and of course to say hello. :)

Jim.

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks buddy--it doesn't look good does it.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim,

I've been gone a long time from the forum--thanks for checking up on me. I'm at an exceptionally busy point in my life right now, and I'll get some things posted as I get some time, but I'm not sure when that will be.

I've spent some time in the mountains, found a little gold, and enjoyed the great outdoors. We even spooked up a moose last weekend, and it was gray as gray could be--that's first for me.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Drywallman,

nicely done. Drop back in and let me know what you found when you hit the bedrock.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb,

So great of you to drop in. I hope you're recovering well, and that you'll soon be posting some pictures of some of that sassy California gold.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Lanny in AB

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm with you guys... really the photo request was just an excuse to bump this thread up and get Lanny's attention. The main reason is that Lanny is one of the genuinely fine people we have the good luck to run across in life... we all value such folks... and that's in addition to Lanny's obvious abilities. I intend to stay in touch with this jasper... it doesn't hurt to let people know we value them in our lives.

I can only imagine he is pretty busy about now, but Lanny if you're around... don't be concerned about the photos... me and some of the guys simply wondered what you're doing lately... and of course to say hello. :)

Jim.

Why thank you so much Jim! Thanks for the kind compliment.

All the best,

Lanny

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

I've been gone a long time from the forum--thanks for checking up on me. I'm at an exceptionally busy point in my life right now, and I'll get some things posted as I get some time, but I'm not sure when that will be.

I've spent some time in the mountains, found a little gold, and enjoyed the great outdoors. We even spooked up a moose last weekend, and it was gray as gray could be--that's first for me.

All the best,

Lanny

Lanny's back! - sort of :icon_thumright:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny, Super the Moose did not score on you!

I contacted someone that knows you and was told you'd contacted them recently, it was good to know.

The shoulder is healing slowly, ever so slowly. The PT is coming along, I've a good PT person, we communicate well and I do the PT at home so it will just take time.

I put myself on a diet my son concocted and I added 2 hours a day of exercise and stretching to it. The combo is doing some good as I've lost 12 lbs, 5.43 Kilos to you, and all parts of me are feeling the workouts. I'm hopeful I can be back in shape for a bit later in the year for a trip or two, maybe 3! I am getting my pack ready and my gear assembled!!

Hang in there and stick with whatever it is you need to accomplish! Good to know you are OK!......................63bkpkr/Herb

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny... we're all pleased to see you back on the board. Yep... there was some concern due to your long absence... but Herb looked into the matter and learned all was well. The important thing is that you know you have some friends who do care. :)

Good luck with all you're doing, and let us know how it goes when you have more time...

Jim.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't wait to read some more of your stories, Lanny. We all live vicariously through your adventures.

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Hi Lanny! Now is the season to recover gold - I hope this turns out to be your best year ever in that regard - plenty of opportunity to write when you are snowed in next winter. Have a great summer!

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Lanny. Glad to hear you're recovering well. Just keep up with the PT you'll be out and about before ya know it.
I'm still battling my issues but that's life. I still try to get out when I can. Glad I've got my kids to help dig and move the material. Then I take my time running it at the house. Been hot here and going to get hotter. Just hoping we get some good monsoon storms.
So I'll just sit idly by and wait for more stories and pics.
Your friend in AZ.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm, hold on one Canadian minute here - what's this about Lanny Recovering?? I thought I was the only one doing PT!
So what gives?.............................................................................{I'm always the last 1 to know} 63bkpkr

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm, hold on one Canadian minute here - what's this about Lanny Recovering?? I thought I was the only one doing PT!
So what gives?.............................................................................{I'm always the last 1 to know} 63bkpkr
I believe he read your last post and thought you were talking about Lanny. (lol)

Still waiting for Lanny to take a break from prospecting and to post those pictures.

Eagle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions