Been Lurking...So new I don't own a detector.

FTD NC

Jan 25, 2017
Carrboro, NC
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big shout out to all the great information I've seen on here already!

As stated in the title I don't own a metal detector, yet. I'm getting close (I think) to pulling the trigger. I plan to use it as tool to help further my six year old sons interest in coins and tie in some history lessons too. He's been keeping track of the oldest coins we have around the house for some time now and I may have a little numismatist (not sure if thats the correct usage) on my hands. Plus he loves digging and getting dirty so seems like a perfect match for us.

I thought I'd join the forum so I could ask some really stupid questions here with some degree of anonymity. Just kidding (kinda). I don't have time to hang out at the local dealer and my closest club seems to be defunct and I don't know anyone that does any hunting, so here I am.

We are home educators, as in homeschooling our boys. FTD stand for Full Time Dad, that's my job. If we need it I build it and if it breaks I fix it plus I do some arborist work and pick up odd jobs here and there with old electrician friend of mine that I pal around with that rides a pre-1975 Honda motorcycle as do I.

Enough about me. Thanks for the opportunity to share, looking forward to another adventure.

Last edited:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard to a hobby that NEVER gets old. You got a hunting partner for life, now get a detector and start to diggin.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Full Time Dad! Take a look at Sub-Forums: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
FTD NC:

Welcome! If you look at the top of the page there's a drop-down menu titled "The Hunt Starts Here." Check it out - it has a great deal of useful information.

Several of the supporting vendors at the bottom of the page also have excellent tips to get started. Kellyco, for example, has several short Q&A's and pages with useful information.

Get to know a local metal detector dealer if there is one in your area.

And - get out there and have fun!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Dirt_Hunter

Jun 1, 2016
Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am also home-schooled. Welcome aboard!
Cheers!

OP
OP
F

FTD NC

Jan 25, 2017
Carrboro, NC
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the warm welcome and the tips.
I admit I've done a good amount of YouTube searching in addition to this site. Sort of thinking somewhere in the Tesoro Vaquero range as I tend to be fairly technical minded and have a fair amount of stick-to-itness-ness. Will check out the local dealer this week as they are both a detector dealer and a gun shop. Two birds one stone. I love it.

Wasabi-wasabi

Tenderfoot
Jan 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new as well....I'm only one step ahead of you only because I have a metal detector but it's still in the box. I was lucky enough to barter a ladder for it. Yes a very tall ladder that was weathering in my back yard. Yes i scored a treasure finder! I concider the detector a treasure as well! Best of luck on your awesome hunts with your son. It definitely sounds like you have chosen a fun adventurous hobby for you both!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome buddy. Go to the local school or park swing sets etc., with sand or wood chips on the ground. You will be surprised by the change and jewelry comes out. Once in a while a silver or gold ring even pops up, more often silver in my case. Its instant gratification for a newb,.... or a seasoned hobbyist.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And if you are going to use headsets and want to get your son in on it, see if there is a "Y" cable available to allow for two headsets to be used with the unit. That way he can listen in right along as you all go and hear the items as the detector sounds them off. May help keep him interested if he is hearing them too and not having everyone around hearing the unit beep on each hit may help keep their attention to you down. Good luck and enjoy the father-son time!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Nick in Connecticut! :hello:

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you ever head up north this way i have a loaner machine and iam always looking for diggers lol !!! iam getting lazy....welcome

OP
OP
F

FTD NC

Jan 25, 2017
Carrboro, NC
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DS Digger. Good call on the Y splitter.

I find it very interesting the number of LMI's (Like Minded Individuals) attracted to this hobby. So far I see a homeschooler, a mechanic, and seems like more than one Deplorable.

The county I live in has language prohibiting detecting in parks "except where allowed," whatever that means. I've been looking at old maps, especially ones that have a layover feature. Looks like our house is right next to a road that has been around for over a hundred years and some say the road lies where native trading path use to exist.

I think once we get a machine we will do some test holes then pound our property. Once we get comfortable in our abilities we will do some door knocking.

Thanks for the offer mooncusser!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting on your own property is a very good idea, you'll get some practice making good clean plugs. You'll probably also be surprised at what you find. After 9-10 years I still find the occasional thing in my yard.

This may be a tip, but on nice lawns it's a good idea to make the plug large enough, and deep enough to get the target in the first go, that way you don't have to scoop out more dirt on top of the grass. This way as you pull dirt from the bottom of the plug you put that dirt directly back in the hole, zero mess.
A pin pointer in my opinion is as important a tool as the detector. Especially for small things, especially for valuable things, when you dig that rare date coin you don't want a big gouge on it.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Detecting with your sons...priceless! :icon_thumleft:

My daughter and I have been hunting for many years together, such a great experience.

OP
OP
F

FTD NC

Jan 25, 2017
Carrboro, NC
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again for the welcome.

We went to our local detector shop the other day and found a used Tesoro Vaquero Black with RSD coil. It was traded for something with numeric display. Looks clean to me with minor scuffs on the coil cover (of course it could have been replaced) and apparently comes with the original box (not sure that means anything). The dealer did mention it hasn't been warranty registered and said I "might be able to get it warranty registered to us."

I thought Tesoro had a Lifetime Warranty and I think I've read posts on here about not being afraid of used ones if the price was right because of the warranty. Maybe I'll post something in the Tesoro section.

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread