Before and After Pics of Coronet after Peroxide Bath (Other Coronet ADDED)

EARTHWORKS

Apr 30, 2005
Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 824

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Re: Before and After Pics of Coronet after Peroxide Bath

PACO will love this cleaning method. We will have to try it on his coppas.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama

I would start out with a 2 days soak in distilled water then brush with a denture tooth brush.repeat until your sure nothing else is coming off or it appears the job is done.Then go from there,In cleaning ancient coins,I might go to olive oil soak,it might darken the coin a might,but will loosen some hard dirt.Yours doesn't appear to require the olive oil soak.A lot of time if the encrustation is really hard I might zap it lightly.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can you use peroxide on silver?

I've got an old reale that looks like someone set it on fire and ran it over with a lawnmower...kind of a drag.

If not peroxide, any thoughts on how to clean this? I've already run it through an ultrasonic a few times.

Thanks,
Bman

Attachments

• Reale Back.jpg
    Reale Back.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 974
  • Reale Front.jpg
    Reale Front.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 982

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

downindixie said:
I would start out with a 2 days soak in distilled water then brush with a denture tooth brush.repeat until your sure nothing else is coming off or it appears the job is done.Then go from there,In cleaning ancient coins,I might go to olive oil soak,it might darken the coin a might,but will loosen some hard dirt.Yours doesn't appear to require the olive oil soak.A lot of time if the encrustation is really hard I might zap it lightly.

I believe the soaking in distilled water is good -AFTER cleaning with peroxide, and I do that now afterwards by heating my distilled water than placing the coin in and depending upon the noted porousity I take it out after half hour or up to an overnighter. I believe the using of the tooth bursh with just the water is more harsh method and it is basically friction removing the dirt.

The Peroxide uses friction also but by using wet cotton swabs there is not near as much chance of a micro piece of sand/rock scratching while removing the dirt that is left during the peroxide cleaning. I probably go through about 10-15 cotton swabs for each coin I clean, and if the coin is corroded, you must be more gentle with the cotton swabs.

After the distilled water soak, then I put the coin under a desk lamp and make sure it gets a thorughly drying before either applying Blue Ribbon if needed or coating the coin in wax.

The use of Olive Oil on Ancients seems to be a very acceptable method due to the eons of crud on those coins and the fact their composition is different from the Colonial era and Federal era coppers. I know of some who have tried Peroxide and it just did not touch the crud, but since I never have had the opportunity to have an ancient I don't know for certain if Peroxide would work on one or not with some modifications to how it is accomplished.

I think the soaking in distilled water is a very nice passive method of cleaning but what is then used to remove that loosened dirt should be something as soft as possible, so perhaps your method with using cotton swabs might be an improvement?

One thing I like about H2O2 is the quickness of the process, sure beats soaking in olive oil, and yes folks, I did that for about 20 years, well versed in the results with olive oil, and its messy aftermath years later. :)

Don

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bmanley99 said:
Can you use peroxide on silver?

I've got an old reale that looks like someone set it on fire and ran it over with a lawnmower...kind of a drag.

If not peroxide, any thoughts on how to clean this? I've already run it through an ultrasonic a few times.

Thanks,
Bman

Wow Bman, that Real looks rough, are you 100% certain it is silver, I know some of the smaller Reals were counterfeited, is it is possible it is one with less silver content, just a thought.

As far as using Peroxide on Silver, I seem to remember that I tried it but just don't mix it with any other type of coin like copper or nickel. I really do not recommend it, since usually just a nice warm water rinse with wet cotton swabs should suffice on most silver coins if needed at all.

My usual practice is not use it on Nickels or Silver, but sort of remember that it was OK to use. LOL< I don't find enough of the silver or nickels to remember. Most of my silver I do just rinse off the loose dirt.

Since you tried ultrasound, I really do not know what else to tell you, but in this case try the peroxide, it sure will not ruin the coin.

Don

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow it cleaned the carpet too......LOL
Looks good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread