Beginer Metal Detector

Huntn FireH2o

Feb 24, 2008
Wichita KS. U.S.A
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Hello, welcome to tnet ,there are some great people , who post great info on this site. There are severeal great detectors out right now ,the best thing is to spend the one on one timewith the kid. My nine year old has a great time each time we go out. We mostly use the garrett 250 there is a real low learning curve . What ever you get spend time to learn it and use it around the house in a small area of the yard and limit the yourselves go slow and it while be alot easier. We started out doing it in just a small part of the yard at a time. After awhile we moved to other areas and still hunt the house in between outings. It is easier to go out the back door 15-30min a night and still find. We live in a house that was built in the 80's. Also do the research and mentor this is as important as the detector, look to the realatives.We hunted the uncles 8 Acres here in Kansas now this weekend we are going to hunt his farm in Missouri close to 450 acres two old farm house, a rock quarry and some old indian sites he said they found tons of arrow heads when the where kids. Just like fishing with the kids rember its about the fun good luck and read the site it might even help you decide wich detector to buy. God Bless Huntn

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Both the before mentioned detectors are really good machines for sure. I do believe that before you decide, you owe it to yourself to check out Tesoro's Silver Saber Micro Max. (UMax) These little detectors have really great depth for the price (239.00) and also discriminate like nothing else! Just set the discriminator to it's lowest setting, just out of all metal mode and small nails/iron/foil will be no problem! Plus they weigh less than 2lbs. and take a single 9 volt battery which in reality last an honest 30-40 hours! Good luck, no matter which of the three you purchase I think you will be happy. I've used them all, and it's just my opinion of course, but with a real lifetime warranty plus the other features, I'd go with Tesoro.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Tesoro Compadre...Very simple to operate and well built...plus it comes with the famous Tesoro customer service.

outdoors

Jun 23, 2008
el cajon, california
Detector(s) used
GTI2500, GTAX550, MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO,
PROPOINTER, GARRETT AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ace 150 $150... or ace 250 $212 at kellyco detectors :thumbsup:

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
My friend uses the ACE 250 and loves it. He keeps up with us or beats us when detecting and we are using units 5 times the cost! It's light and easy to use and very popular for a reason.

Because of this, if he does not want it anymore you can get decent money for it on ebay.

My guess is that you might be using it as much as him if not more!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions