Full size rifle case for detector any thoughts?

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the past, Whites and Garretts had hard shelled cases in their catalogs. I kinda wonder why they were dropped.
Now, for your question. Take a bunch of measurement of you detector. Measure its length when set to your normal hunting setup. Measure the size of the 3 dimensional area the control box fills. Take those measurements and visit the websites of case manufacturers and find the case with the INSIDE dimensions large enough to fill your need. Or you can take your machine to a good sporting goods store, such as Bass Pro Shops and check them out. They are going to be expensive, though. If you are handy, make your own. A 4 ft. by 8 ft sheet of 1/2 inch luan plywood only cost about $30. Then a bottle of waterproof glue, about $3. Add a couple of sheets of thick foam rubber or 2 cans of spray foam and some time and patience and you'll have exactly what you want at a huge savings of money.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Thanks for the ideas Shortstack... I would really like it to be hard plastic if possible... I might try a shop with the measurements as you said. I remember someone mentioning they got a case on clearance that fit without breaking down. I keep both my dfx and se together in the trunk... I just don't want them fighting! :D

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DFX-SE Gregg said:
Thanks for the ideas Shortstack... I would really like it to be hard plastic if possible... I might try a shop with the measurements as you said. I remember someone mentioning they got a case on clearance that fit without breaking down. I keep both my dfx and se together in the trunk... I just don't want them fighting! :D

Hey, I understand and can sympathize. I have 2 soft cases for 3 detectors. My Tesoro Bandido II shares a bag with a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver. I'm kinda hoping one of them will become "with child probe" to keep the DeLeon company in the OTHER bag. ;D

Here's another idea. Maybe you can make a wooden case as I described, and use it as a "master" for making fiberglas cases to sell. You could make them as they are ordered. There are most likely other MDers who would like hardshell cases.

I just got another idea for a case that I might do. Get a section of sonatube with a large enough inside diameter to slide your detector into. Give it a very heavy coat of paste wax on the outside surface (for mold release) and cover it completely with fiberglas, using cloth not matte and epoxy resin. Make it a thick coating so you can smooth the exterior surface.
You can use cardboard cutouts to fill the ends of the tube to form the ends. After the exterior surface is smooth, spray paint it with several coats of enamel paint. After you get it looking good, cut the whole thing in half, lengthwise and remove the remains of the sonatube and cardboard end pieces. Now you'll have a fiberglas case "kit". Hinge the 2 halves and pad the inside to suit your detector. Oh yeah---a sonatube is a cardboard tube used for forming concrete foundation piers. They can be found at a good builders' supply center. Maybe Home Depot. I don't know what measurements they come in, but something like 18 inch diameter whould work great. A 1 foot diameter would work for a detector with a mini-box like my DeLeon. There would still be enough roon to pad the inside. Rethinking this, I will probably go to Wally World and get several yards of jersey material instead of fiberglas cloth. Jersey material is used by custom speaker builders instead of fiberglas. It is a LOT lower in costs and produces a strong finished product. The epoxy resin will have a high enough cost. Using jersey material will give a really big cost saving overall.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gregg, I recall a story a while back about a guy using a hard case from a company called "Pelican Cases". No hard case will be cheap, unless you find it used.

Ed D.

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Born2Dtect said:
Gregg, I recall a story a while back about a guy using a hard case from a company called "Pelican Cases". No hard case will be cheap, unless you find it used.

Ed D.

Thanks Ed I believe that is the same story I am thinking about...will do a search on Pelican cases...thanks... :)

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
TreasureTales said:
My detector rarely sees the inside of a bag or box, but I do have a rifle case that I've used successfully for travel. It has a hard plastic exterior with foam rubber padding in the inside. I had to cut a hole in the bottom and top pieces of foam to accommodate the brain box on the Tesoro LST. The rifle case is made to hold two rifles, but it holds the one detector very nicely. I don't know the name or model number offhand, but I'm sure Cabela's has several that will serve as examples. Mine has two locking latches and key with spare. When I bought it, several years ago, it cost @ $70.00 I like it. But I suggest you don't store your detector in it for too long, condensation might be a problem.

One example from the Cabela's catalog.

Thanks will take a look at this one too... We just started getting Cabelas around here...but Dicks Sporting Goods always sends discount coupons they might carry cases like the one you have.

jsu

Nov 29, 2007
NE Georgia
Detector(s) used
EAGLE II, TIGERSHARK, COMPADRE , MXT
Its going to be hard to find a rifle case that is thick enough.I am on the lookout for a used bow case.I found one for $15 but it was not thick enough for my mxt.jeff

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
jsu said:
Its going to be hard to find a rifle case that is thick enough.I am on the lookout for a used bow case.I found one for $15 but it was not thick enough for my mxt.jeff

Jeff you are right...depth/height maybe a big problem...looks like the rifle cases are only 4 1/2 inches deep.... I have not measured for depth but would think maybe 7-8 inches in depth...with foam would be needed...... ???

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gregg I would look at SKB cases. They make great cases for musical stuff [ guitars , keyboards ] and also for guns. You might try pellican products,for smaller gear I have 4 of their cases ,water proof ,and lifetime backed.

Extractor

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
extractor said:
Gregg I would look at SKB cases. They make great cases for musical stuff [ guitars , keyboards ] and also for guns. You might try pellican products,for smaller gear I have 4 of their cases ,water proof ,and lifetime backed.

Extractor

Thanks been looking on Ebay....will take a look at SKB cases also.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Born2Dtect said:

Ed D.

I have these for my rifles and can say that the airline gorillas can't even damage the property. Cheap no by a longshot, but well worth every $. I picked all of mine up from botac.com. Their service is sometimes crappy but they have a meet or beat price policy. :wink:

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
eagle77 said:
Born2Dtect said:

Ed D.

I have these for my rifles and can say that the airline gorillas can't even damage the property. Cheap no by a longshot, but well worth every $. I picked all of mine up from botac.com. Their service is sometimes crappy but they have a meet or beat price policy. :wink:

Thanks I am going to shop around but will take a look at botac.com

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using rifle cases for awhile now. Whites gold machine fits in a small one found at a yardsale. Minelab soverign will fit a regular rifle case plus a bunch of extra coils spare battery charger. You can find some good cases at Big 5 Sporting goods for $20 when they have sales (quite frequently), YUP $20!!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
BUMP!

I guess this is an older thread, now...

Gregg, you didn't mention WHY you wanted to case your sword!

For an airline flite? Shipping? or just storage in the trunk of the car?

My 1280x Fisher did well in it's hardcase. Just slip off the lower leg+coil
and there was room inside the case for all including the attached headphones.

Myself?
I prefer camouflage.
NOT the best idea to have a rifle case that can be seen, anywhere!
I'd prefer a well padded soft case that you could toss a couple clothing items at just to make it appear as a messy pile of stuff.

Best
rmptr

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
rmptr said:
BUMP!

I guess this is an older thread, now...

Gregg, you didn't mention WHY you wanted to case your sword!

For an airline flite? Shipping? or just storage in the trunk of the car?

My 1280x Fisher did well in it's hardcase. Just slip off the lower leg+coil
and there was room inside the case for all including the attached headphones.

Myself?
I prefer camouflage.
NOT the best idea to have a rifle case that can be seen, anywhere!
I'd prefer a well padded soft case that you could toss a couple clothing items at just to make it appear as a messy pile of stuff.

Best
rmptr

Just wanted to protect it. I have soft bags for the dfx and se. Used the dfx bag for a while till the cheap zipper broke! My se bag is still new in plastic!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Plano molding outlet sell overruns and slight defect hard cases, boxes etc
its worth a drive, pennies on the dollar

Ph: 1-800-226-9868
Plano Molding Co.
431 E. South St.