Beginners Luck- first CW button?

TampaNative

Oct 12, 2010
Beginner's Luck- first CW button?

Well, I've been looking forward to getting out today with my new White's Coinmaster Pro (my first detector) since so far I've only hit a sand volleyball court in the neighborhood. I've been doing some research on my area to determine good, old sites to detect. First, I hit an old schoolhouse nearby but wasn't there long before a lot of people showed up for some event. So I moved on- I had found that my stepfather's house is located in an area where there was an old town that was home to a pine mill. I haven't been able to nail down the location of anything specific there, but his home and property are right in the vicinity of the historical area so I decided to head over there. I also figured that being private property, I would be able to avoid prying eyes (being a newbie I don't need an audience!).

Well, I spent about 4 hours out there and was able to thoroughly cover the back end of the 3.5 acres. I found my first pull tab :wink: , several aluminum cans, a few modern rifle shell casings, some various pieces of trash, etc. I also found TWO wheat cents (my first!) which was very cool- I am correct in assuming that this shows that this property was inhabitated in the old days? We don't know anything about what this property looked like in the early 1900's, and I'm curious to know if there is any rhyme or reason to figuring this out or does everyone just go out and start swinging the coil in the vicinity of history. The one on the left is 1917 I THINK- one on the right is unreadable. How do you all clean these?

DSC_0599.jpg

DSC_0600.jpg

WAIT- it gets better! I THINK I also found a Civil War button!!! Says "D.Evans Co." and "NA" on the reverse. A quick internet check shows this company made Civil War buttons, but I can't find one that looks like this one. What do I have here?

DSC_0601.jpg

DSC_0603.jpg

I also found this aluminum token. One one side it says "Good for 1 Quart". On the reverse it is barely legible but says the name of a dairy and also "Dunedin, FL" which is across Tampa Bay from this area, but is also a settlement that goes back quite far. This needs cleaning and I think is aluminum- what should I do, if anything?

DSC_0597.jpg

DSC_0596.jpg

A picture taken out in the field:

FindsFromBrads102310.jpg

This was a great day, and hopefully a sign of things to come. I still need to finish detecting this property and hopefully there is more out there. I still need to learn my machine and make sure I am not overlooking good targets. I was digging up a lot of aluminum cans at first!

Upvote 0

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Beginner's Luck- first CW button?

Your button is a great seal..post CW. Still good digs man..keep at it!

caveman2

Jun 12, 2010
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250

i found 1 just like that a while ago. its a general service button frm ww2 i think

Attachments

• 76.JPG
    76.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 258

caveman2

Jun 12, 2010
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250

still cool find man, nice way to begin :headbang:

OP
OP
T

TampaNative

Oct 12, 2010

caveman2 said:
i found 1 just like that a while ago. its a general service button frm ww2 i think

Any info on my "D.Evans Co N.A." marked version? So far, all I've seen online is D.Evans buttons with a Mass location stamp???

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone!

OP
OP
T

TampaNative

Oct 12, 2010

Also, how do we safely clean the coins we find? These two pennies could use some love, but I don't want to do anything that would be undesirable. I'm sure these aren't worth much, but I would like to know for future reference. Do we just keep them in their "as-dug" state or is there an acceptable process to clean them up and make them more recognizable?

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasurenet has a forum for cleaning and preservation...lots of good info in there to get ya started.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread