Vabeachdigger

Greenie
May 1, 2017
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett A/T Pro, Orange Sniffer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last month my wife bought me an A/T Pro with the corresponding orange pinpointer, shovel and sifter. I've lived in Virginia Beach, Va my whole life and was raised to appreciate our states history. So needless to say, I've spent a majority of my life scanning the ground were ever I may be in hopes of finding some sort of relic or treasure to call my own. Wether it be an Arrowhead, shark tooth, bullets, or especially an OLD COIN!
Now, finally at 34 years old I have my first M/D, The A/Tpro. I felt that I finally had the chance of finding something special. Not only do I live in Virginia, but I also live next to were the first permanent English Colonists' stepped foot on American soil, April 28th 1607. I started obsessing over my areas local history in an attempt to maybe find an unknown path or site that someone hasn't detected yet. With such determination to find "Blackbeard's Treasure", or maybe a lost colonists' drinking hole, at one of the many swamps deep in the maritime forest of seashore St. park.... some piece of history to appreciate and call my own. After trekking miles through thick mossy dunes, and in and around many secluded swamps all I came up with was a couple of .36 black powder balls, a million 9mm and 22 shells and slugs, and a Western No 16 headstamp dating to the 30's.
Next I tried an area on the Pungo Ridge that was heavily populated by Native Americans just prior to the First Landing in 1607, now multi-million dollar homes and 2 acres of woods. There, I found remnants of archeological digs and in that proximity I got a several nice hits. They ended up being broken pieces of some sort of very old 3" round copper component, perforated in the center with 4 decorative clips. I have no idea what it is, I'd like to post a pic on here to get some thoughts....But that's not my topic of interest today.
Exactly one week ago, (April 28th) I got off work and only had a couple of hours to hunt before picking my son up from daycare. I get anxiety trying to determine which researched spot I want to detect that day. And on this day it was a toss up between an area where "The Pleasure House" once stood behind the dunes of the Chesapeake bay.....or a park (playground/meadow) in a very wealthy, mature neighborhood​. The park was closer to my son's daycare and with only a couple hours to dig I thought I'd try it! Well I started in the back of a quiet meadow shaded through giant oaks, and I quickly realize that this place has never been detected. I didn't have much time so I primarily searched for coins, and I sure found them! After an hour and a half of retrieving modern coins I got a good deep hit. So I started digging, this meadow has perfect lush soil and is infested with fat grubs and worms. After digging about 12" I spot it! My second silver, a '41 quarter (my first, the previous day - '52 dime) The quarter was in great shape. So I continued on with a slight smirk (thinking that was the best of the day) After a few more hits on some pocket change, I got a strong 79-81 hit 8" deep. After finding that quarter I started digging a little wider. I'm glad I did because right at the bottom of an 8" deep plug, I noticed an odd looking coin sticking out! Ear to ear I immediately dissected that plug, only to find a dream come true pop out. I had no idea what I might have, but I knew that it was about 1/64th larger than a quarter, and I could make out letters bordering the decrepit edge. I got home and soaked the coin in distilled water for 15 mins then proceeded to rinse the dirt away. After rinsing and blotting with a soft brush, the coin revealed to be a 1773 Virginia Half Penny! And of all the days to find it; April 28th 2017 - The 410th anniversary of the First Permanent English Colonists' landing in America, on what is now my local beach!

I know its not worth much, but obviously after only detecting for one month - you all must know this is a dream come true and worth more to me than it's corroded condition may portray. Hey it may even be a counterfeit, weighing 6.5 grams and just a hair under an inch. No matter what version it may be, this has made me feel complete in my search to find a relic to call my own. ( And in less than a month; on the anniversary of the colonist....that's pretty awesome in my book!) -AA
View attachment 1447657 View attachment 1447657

Attachments

• IMG_1.jpg
    IMG_1.jpg
    777.7 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2.jpg
    IMG_2.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3.jpg
    IMG_3.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4.jpg
    IMG_4.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Upvote 21

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very informative post. I think you will like your AT with your quest for past items.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and welcome to the addiction!!! You'll never forget that day but there are many more to come. Congratulations [emoji106]

HH, RN

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations, welcome to TNet.

And YES there will be more delights to come!

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice to hear a local guy do well. Congratulations.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep hunting. It only gets better. Congrats on the nice coins.

trapperart

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2015
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the Virginia half penny nice find. Thanks for the informative post

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9.gif I ve been detecting for over 40 yrs and don't have one of those yet - many others dont either - so even in ruff shape - its a good find

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

t_r.gif
t_o.gif
s.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE Virginia Half Penny FIND :..

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net. Great story on you and your area. I can only imagine your area history. Even tho they are words typed on a page we can hear and feel your excitement from your first old coin find. I would even go so far as to say that you Sir have been bitten by the bug. Congrats to you Mister.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the new machine and nice finds! :occasion14:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the madness which becomes an obsession!!! Your off to a great start!!!! Soon you'll have a closet full of different machines and think nothing about metal detecting all the time. I know we do!!!:laughing7:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a fun to read post, and an even better find! What a great piece of history...that you saved! Congratulations, and good luck with all of your future digs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread