Best coin so far!

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting a city park yesterday morning and this popped out of the ground---a 1945 walking liberty half dollar. Needless to say I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised. :occasion14::o HH. IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2939.JPG

Upvote 29

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have thought those would be long gone by now from the city parks - you must have found a hidden patch of dirt that
nobody thought about for a while , very nice !

dustyspurs

Jun 20, 2012
Lafayette
Detector(s) used
Deus 3.2 , Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done. So far, I haven't found a totally "hunted out" spot. There are so many variable: speed of hunters, directions, type of machine, experience of hunter, moisture, people thinking it's hunted out, etc. Keep hunting and digging.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a cool tip, a "hunted out park" will always have large trees, people in the past had picnics and leaned against these trees when they were small. Now that the tree is big all the coins that the people dropped in the past under the tree are now literally UNDER the tree. So if the park has recently knocked over or cut down an old tree and the stump has disintegrated you WILL find artifacts in the area the stump used to be. After Hurricane Sandy I found many coins and relics under the root systems of fallen trees in the city parks - some dating back as far as the late 19th century. So - moral of the story - an old park will always have treasure buried somewhere in it regardless if it was hunted to the hilt! :D

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a cool tip, a "hunted out park" will always have large trees, people in the past had picnics and leaned against these trees when they were small. Now that the tree is big all the coins that the people dropped in the past under the tree are now literally UNDER the tree. So if the park has recently knocked over or cut down an old tree and the stump has disintegrated you WILL find artifacts in the area the stump used to be. After Hurricane Sandy I found many coins and relics under the root systems of fallen trees in the city parks - some dating back as far as the late 19th century. So - moral of the story - an old park will always have treasure buried somewhere in it regardless if it was hunted to the hilt! :D

That's good advice. . . I also love where trees have been years earlier. I was hunting an old park just after sunrise and I saw a shadowed circular depression where a tree once stood. That depression yielded a V-nickel, IH and a Barber dime.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have thought those would be long gone by now from the city parks - you must have found a hidden patch of dirt that
nobody thought about for a while , very nice !
I found it in a spot that was full of gravel, rocks, and hard dirt. My first instinct was to detect around it but then I thought, "other detectorists have probably thought the same thing, so I'm going to hunt this", and the first strong signal I got was the half dollar. I almost didn't dig it because the vdi was jumping a lot and I had to go back to the car and get a hammer and screwdriver to dig the hard dirt and rock. I also didn't think the park was very old. So that added to the surprise. HH.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, it's awesome to find a half or even a quarter in a hunted out park.

mihmar79

Dec 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one! Gz!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would be on cloud nine! congrats

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice silver find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread