Best coin so far!

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting a city park yesterday morning and this popped out of the ground---a 1945 walking liberty half dollar. Needless to say I was shocked and very pleasantly surprised. :occasion14::o HH. IMG_2938.JPGIMG_2939.JPG

Upvote 29
I would have thought those would be long gone by now from the city parks - you must have found a hidden patch of dirt that
nobody thought about for a while , very nice !

Well done. So far, I haven't found a totally "hunted out" spot. There are so many variable: speed of hunters, directions, type of machine, experience of hunter, moisture, people thinking it's hunted out, etc. Keep hunting and digging.

Here's a cool tip, a "hunted out park" will always have large trees, people in the past had picnics and leaned against these trees when they were small. Now that the tree is big all the coins that the people dropped in the past under the tree are now literally UNDER the tree. So if the park has recently knocked over or cut down an old tree and the stump has disintegrated you WILL find artifacts in the area the stump used to be. After Hurricane Sandy I found many coins and relics under the root systems of fallen trees in the city parks - some dating back as far as the late 19th century. So - moral of the story - an old park will always have treasure buried somewhere in it regardless if it was hunted to the hilt! :D

Here's a cool tip, a "hunted out park" will always have large trees, people in the past had picnics and leaned against these trees when they were small. Now that the tree is big all the coins that the people dropped in the past under the tree are now literally UNDER the tree. So if the park has recently knocked over or cut down an old tree and the stump has disintegrated you WILL find artifacts in the area the stump used to be. After Hurricane Sandy I found many coins and relics under the root systems of fallen trees in the city parks - some dating back as far as the late 19th century. So - moral of the story - an old park will always have treasure buried somewhere in it regardless if it was hunted to the hilt! :D

That's good advice. . . I also love where trees have been years earlier. I was hunting an old park just after sunrise and I saw a shadowed circular depression where a tree once stood. That depression yielded a V-nickel, IH and a Barber dime.

I would have thought those would be long gone by now from the city parks - you must have found a hidden patch of dirt that
nobody thought about for a while , very nice !
I found it in a spot that was full of gravel, rocks, and hard dirt. My first instinct was to detect around it but then I thought, "other detectorists have probably thought the same thing, so I'm going to hunt this", and the first strong signal I got was the half dollar. I almost didn't dig it because the vdi was jumping a lot and I had to go back to the car and get a hammer and screwdriver to dig the hard dirt and rock. I also didn't think the park was very old. So that added to the surprise. HH.

Nice, it's awesome to find a half or even a quarter in a hunted out park.

Nice one! Gz!

I would be on cloud nine! congrats

Very nice silver find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back