Best Find this Year !!!

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made a short 3 day trip to Atlantic City. Met up with a couple TNetters Aaron (arsurfco) and Brian (Surfdigger). As usual Brian showed us both up within an hour of hunting. But more importantly he was invaluable in helping us learn the beaches of Atlantic City. Enjoyed the time with them. Weather was great !!! Much better than Texas !!!! As usual the end of the day was the best for finds. Aaron got his first ring and I got mine .... but it wasn't a keeper as the owner was right over me the whole time. Hope we can do this again guys sometime.

Thanks for the memories !!!

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 763
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 765
Upvote 0
Congratulations on returning the ring! You're helping give Tnetters everywhere a better name.

I can't help thinking there's more to this story, though. More details, please! Why was the owner "all over you"? Was she pretty? Were you complaining? Did you get pics of the owner too? How recently was the ring lost? How fortunate was it that you were there? That ring, based on the size of your finger, looks to be over 2 carats. Was it?

Tuberale said:
Congratulations on returning the ring! You're helping give Tnetters everywhere a better name.

I can't help thinking there's more to this story, though. More details, please! Why was the owner "all over you"? Was she pretty? Were you complaining? Did you get pics of the owner too? How recently was the ring lost? How fortunate was it that you were there? That ring, based on the size of your finger, looks to be over 2 carats. Was it?

Actually what happened was this........I was working the wet sand when my partner approached me and mentioned that he was helping some lady who said she had lost her wedding ring the day prior. The area he was working was far from the actual area. So I offered to come help. She pointed me to the area where her towel was the day prior. So off I went. Three sweeps later...bingo the ring was in my scoop. She stayed with me the whole time looking over my shoulder and as soon as I scooped some sand she was right over my shoulder ...did you find it ? To answer your question yeah it looked to be in the neighborhood of 1.5 - 2 carats. I would like to think and hope that she wasn't just some other person who happened to be at the right place when it was lost and was out for herself trying to find it for herself. I would hope that she was being honest as I was with her in returning the ring. Anyway, I pull up this thread on occasion just to remind myself how well I did on my vacation trip even though the ring didn't come home with me. I know at some point I will find my bling.

Rockyredbaron

I hope she put the ring back on her finger to show you it fit ? regardless its back now Dd60

Good on you Rocky!

That did fill in some of the gaps. 'Preciate it.

In the end, it's what we do and how we treat others that is remembered. You may never meet again. But somewhere in the back of her mind, that nearly miraculous recovery will be remembered.

Don't dwell on whether it was hers or not: likely it was. Instead, remember how it felt to find it, and how good you felt returning it. And, if you like, on how you would feel if a Good Samaritan did something like that for you.

That said, next time your offer your expertise and time, you might want to consider getting a finder's fee in advance. Most insurance companies consider 15-20% of the value to be appropriate. The same thing applies to recovery of lost money should a bank make claim to it. In other words, if an armored truck spills coins over a 200 yard area and you offer to help the recovery process, you are entitled legally to the same 15-20% in most states. Maybe not as good as the whole shebang, but worth it just for your time, travel, expertise, and recovery. Something to keep in mind when researching those truck spills. Now, all you need to do is find out about a truck spill before 1964 (silver) and before most people had even heard of metal detectors, to make a really BIG FIND.

rockyredbaron said:
Tuberale said:

Actually what happened was this........I was working the wet sand when my partner approached me and mentioned that he was helping some lady who said she had lost her wedding ring the day prior. The area he was working was far from the actual area. So I offered to come help. She pointed me to the area where her towel was the day prior. So off I went. Three sweeps later...bingo the ring was in my scoop. She stayed with me the whole time looking over my shoulder and as soon as I scooped some sand she was right over my shoulder ...did you find it ? To answer your question yeah it looked to be in the neighborhood of 1.5 - 2 carats. I would like to think and hope that she wasn't just some other person who happened to be at the right place when it was lost and was out for herself trying to find it for herself. I would hope that she was being honest as I was with her in returning the ring. Anyway, I pull up this thread on occasion just to remind myself how well I did on my vacation trip even though the ring didn't come home with me. I know at some point I will find my bling.

Rockyredbaron

It may have been a good idea to get a description before searching. AC has all types of unscrupulous characters. I still operate under the assumption that 99.9% of all people are honest.

Being close to AC does have its advantages. I was able to pick up a 2 week old V3 from someone who needed cash fast for less than half retail. (I did not ask too many questions, but of course a quick phone call to Whites with the serial number was in order to make sure I wasn't buying a hot item!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back