My best find ever

pbmudflats

Feb 20, 2007
:) Just a short item to any of the frustrated searchers out there who can't seem to find anything of any value. Perhaps this will get your enthusiasm back.

While I was living up in the NW about 15 years ago I found two 100 ounce silver bars buried about a foot deep in a city park in Seattle. Each one was marked ".999+" and "100 oz+", had a bullion company logo molded on them, and a unique symbol on them. There weren't any serial numbers molded into them, so I figured that they had to be pretty old. Also, the soil that I dug through hadn't been disturbed in a long time.

As a sidebar to this story, I was getting ready to join a TH club up there on the Peninsula that my digging buddy belonged to, so I took one of the bars to the next club meeting. All of the clubmembers were fascinated with the find, but as I wasn't really a member the previous month, I didn't even qualify for "find of the month". Kind of ironic.

I ended selling the bars for $500 each to a local coin dealer as the word was spreading quickly about the find, and I figured that they had probably been stolen many years earlier from one of the old mansions up there near the park. (spot silver was about $5.50 an ounce at the time)

So all of you out there thinking that sites are "worked out" and that there's nothing much out there, keep diggin! That park had been searched for years and even had been used for many club hunts, but the treasure remained. (found using an old Tesoro Golden Sabre) Have fun!!

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First question, I assume you took photo's?

OP
OP
P

pbmudflats

Feb 20, 2007
To the first question, Volunteer Park, up on Capitol Hill..

To the 2nd, remarkably, I didn't take any photos, but my digging buddy that day did. He saw them and the hole that I'd dug less than 5 minutes after I found them. I'll send him an email to see if he still has the pics. If so, either he or I can post them. I think at the time he gave me some copies, but after 15 years or so, I have no idea where they'd be. I've moved twice since then, but he's still in the same place, in the Seattle area, and much more organized than me. I'm on the East Coast now.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I think after photos are up, this has gotta go banner. Great find!

Don't you wish you had 'em now, though?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread