Best gear for metal detecting?

coin pirate

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone actually recover clubs with a screw driver karlvonm claims it's better than using a trowel. I don't think it would be easy to do, but i haven't tried it. I know digging in my own backyard my metal detector never got coins exactly so not sure how this would work with a screwdriver as I've sometimes had to dig all around the signal to find anything has anyone made a video on this?

It's a pain in the A**, like washing a car with a sink sponge, why, if only a couple inches deep, a small slice with a digger, lift, remove, replace, clean and simple. I've done it successfully with a probe or screwdriver, even customized one...then woke up said WHY? Not worth the effort, I'm quicker with a knife or digger, and just as clean. Using a coin probe is like holding your pinky out while drinking tea:BangHead:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only said it was good for those parks that allow detecting but not digging. If you pull out a trowel or digger in those parks you will be tossed out quickly. Sorry that you have such a low opinion of old methods that still work well in certain situations, the pinky/tea business is sort of insulting.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
First rule is to only hunt where you have permission or on public land where MDing isn’t prohibited.

I usually wear gloves except when MDing at the beach. In places with modern trash there’s often ragged can slaw or broken glass and in the woods there can be poison ivy (which I can get by looking at a picture of it) or biting insects.

I know, I’m a wuss, I’ve heard it before.
HH
dts

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question about gold panning why not use a detector to find the gold? First of all i know nothing about panning but haven't seen anyone who does it carry a metal detector? I'm sure some do but i haven't seen them yet. Does it help?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question about gold panning why not use a detector to find the gold? First of all i know nothing about panning but haven't seen anyone who does it carry a metal detector? I'm sure some do but i haven't seen them yet. Does it help?

Most gold is to small for a detector...

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess now I'm in my 40th year of metal detecting, began in 1982.

I've a nice pouch for water hunting:

Water Pouch.jpg

And for dirt digging:

Pouch.jpg

They both work perfectly for my needs.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
For dirt digging, although I have others (I currently own all on my list), the Tesoro Tejon is my go to machine for dirt digging. Even though I have the CTX and the EQ800. Like them both but that Tejon is a special machine.

Kellyco got a very bad rap several years ago due to Minelab's essential disappearance on repairs, I still sent my Minelab Xcal 2 in for mods from Kellyco, got it back faster than I expected, so now I search the water with pin point mods, and OH what a difference that made for me in swinging in the water!

Thoadin

Greenie
Sep 1, 2018
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're out in the middle of nowhere, you'll want to bring water!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're out in the middle of nowhere, you'll want to bring water!

Well, I am....

Kinda like this peace I have well away from other humans. Well, by now many should know that other humans always bring some kinda trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread