Best Metal Detector For Around $250.00?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Well, D-Day is almost here. After haunting treasurenet for a while I am finally going to take the plunge.

I was going to try and get a used "vintage" MD for around $100, but I just let go of some scrap gold I had been sitting on for a while and now I have a $250 budget to work with.

I am interested in digging for coins and jewelry and I already have a long list of nearby historic locations and old homesteads picked out. I don't need a unit that is built for beach or underwater use. I also have a pretty nice pair of Sony headphones and a 1/4"-1/2" plug adapter. I need a spade/digging tool too. I will eventually get one of those hand held pin pointers as well, but for the moment I am looking for the best model of metal detector for my $250 - NEW OR USED

If you are a vendor that posts here, time to state your case as to why I should deal with you. I just sold some gold so I can find some more gold and this unit needs to pay for itself as quickly as possible. All vendors can now begin fawning over me and pitching woo for my cash. (kidding, kidding)
:laughing9:

Advice ------ please give me some. Thanks fellas.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• Planting-Tool_fiskars.jpg
    Planting-Tool_fiskars.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 1,036
OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ivan salis said:
hombre be sure to tell kellyco you want the METAL SAW TOOTH DIGGING TOOL * ALONG WITH THE PIN POINTER IN PACKAGE #1 -- TELL THEM YOU DO NOT WANT THE PLASTIC TROWEL -- IVAN

Gotcha. I don't have to use paypal @ Kellco do I? I have to use them for eBay stuff, but I would prefer not to. They really tick me off with their "3-5 business days" it takes to do a wire transfer...

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I think I am leaning toward the Delta now. I already have some headphones so I am going to go w/the package that has the digger and pinpointer. The check from the refinery should be here sometime next week and I will be making the purchase as soon as it arrives.

DevilDog - I am assuming you are a Marine. Thank you for your service as well as your MD advice. My stepfather was a Devil Dog as well. Served in Vietnam and later in the Rhodesian Bush War in the Rhodesian Light Infantry. Oorah!

thanks! i am not a Marine myself, a close friend is and he inspired me when he joined. i wanted to enlist in the USAF, but cant due to a medical condition.

back on the metal detector, i would suggest getting the second package in my link because it has a carry case.
also DONT buy the gator tool if you get the delta 4000. they changed it since ive ordered mine and changed the plastic one to the gator already- so it is free for you :)

also @bigcypresshunter
try contacting kellyco, im sure they will help you out and probably even send you a new one for free

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
kellyco --you can do credit cards no sweat --ps they are a spondser of the website --- just click on the ad on the "home page'

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
DevilDog812 said:
also @bigcypresshunter
try contacting kellyco, im sure they will help you out and probably even send you a new one for free
No worry. I kept the sheath. I threw away the garden trowel digger it was complete trash but I got a great deal. About $212 plus a free pinpointer, headphones and rain cover. (a ziplock does better) I should have got the sniper coil. Im happy. Ace works fine but this Delta sound interesting..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the cheesy sand trowel * they often used as a give away was fit only for loose dry sand at the beach * due to it being non metal --other than that 100% useless. --the old el cheapo garden trowl was also a joke --even if free * -- the saw tooth gator 1500 METAL digger is much , much better . :icon_thumright:

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
just to clear it up for you, with the second option on the kellyco site, this is what you get for $280

Teknetics Delta 4000
Deluxe Electronic Pinpointer
Stereo Headphones
Carry Bag
Multi-Purpose Field Pouch
Sawtooth Gator Digger 1500 Series
15 Piece Tool Set
2 Pocket Coin Pouch w/ Apron w/ Thin Pocket for Probes
Finders Log
Trial Subscription to Treasure Magazine
Free Shipping!

thats why i bought mine ;D and ive been happy with it so far

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
upon farther review --option 2 looks good -- detector carry case --pin pointer --saw tooth gator 1500 digger (metal type) -- 2 pocket coin / trash apron --and 15 "multi" tool with sheath

I would ask to swap out the "feild pack" in option #2 for the "diggertool belt" holder in option 1 however

the head set earphones that come with it are crap but you got that covered already :icon_thumright:

Twisted Fork

Sep 2, 2007
UTAH
Detector(s) used
tf900 & a good old fashioned willow forked limb
Pawn Shop will get you more bang for your bucks.....Cash America is a good example. With warranty. :coffee2:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hombre,

Seriously, check out the Tesoro Compadre. If you're hesitant because it has no TID screen, please don't be. Those screens are notoriously inaccurate both in identifying targets as well as depth readings.

At $170, the Compadre will leave you enough left over of your $250 budget to cover most of the cost for a Garrett Propointer. They are a perfect combination.

If you really want the TID screen, however, I have heard lots of good things about the Ace 250 and the Tecknetics Delta, the only difference I've come across being that the Delta is apparently easier to pinpoint with, which might give it an edge over the 250.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
I have been looking at all the pawn shops in my area w/no luck.
Well all the years that i have checked pawn shops...........All i ever found in a pawn shop was one detector that was a deal....................... You could spend years looking in pawn shops and never find a detector...................... Don't waste your time at the pawn shops..........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on your location, there are detectors in Pawn Shops in Florida from time to time, I have seem more than a few....

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I'm always in the pawn shops around here, and the few that I have seen seem to be mostly the cheap Radio Shack models.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The only thing I dont really like about the Ace is the ding dong tones. It has 3 different tone beeps for the different metal types and they are all loud. There are no faint beeps that I like to hear and consequently no need for headphones.

Im curious, does the Delta have a similar ding dong feature?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
thank god --the delta does not have the ace 250 -- ice cream truck tones * -- annoying aren't they ? the 250 is a good little machine for the price BUT who ever set up the sound tones to use on it needs to be shot !!! --geez o petes those tones are frickin annoying !!! i think it draws kids in the park cuz they think the ice cream trucks around.

the delta tones are more of a "normal sound" -- they are differant tones and can be told apart from one another.

plus they are volume level adjustible -

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
ivan salis said:
thank god --the delta does not have the ace 250 -- ice cream truck tones * -- annoying aren't they ? the 250 is a good little machine for the price BUT who ever set up the sound tones to use on it needs to be shot !!! --geez o petes those tones are frickin annoying !!! i think it draws kids in the park cuz they think the ice cream trucks around.

the delta tones are more of a "normal sound" -- they are differant tones and can be told apart from one another.

plus they are volume level adjustible -
Ding dong lol Are the deep signals weaker?

fozzyb65

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2011
Tulsa, OK
For a first timer, I suggest you find the machine you want online and then go to a local dealer and buy it from him. You may pay a little more, but he can guide you to the right machine for you, and help you learn how to use it, and when you aren't finding anything at first assure you that he thing is working, and maybe help you start making those good finds. Tell him the same machine online is x dollars and comes with this and that but you want to support his business and negotiate your best price. You may still pay a little more, but, for a newby, you'll get the local support that is priceless. Plus you may just find a hunting buddy while you're hanging out in the store, and there's no substitute for that.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look into a Bounty Hunter Land Star. They are a discontinued model, but I absolutely LOVE mine. It has 3 tones, all metal mode, notch mode, auto notch mode and manual ground balance and sensitivity.

I find tiny things like ear rings backs and I am amazed at how deep I dig stuff. The best part is that I can go to the beach and hunt the dry OR wet sand.

I would suggest this machine to ANY new detectorist. It's simple machine that you can just turn on and go dig stuff with.

I paid $250 for mine still in the box on feebay in November.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread