Best Metal Detector For Around $250.00?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Well, D-Day is almost here. After haunting treasurenet for a while I am finally going to take the plunge.

I was going to try and get a used "vintage" MD for around $100, but I just let go of some scrap gold I had been sitting on for a while and now I have a $250 budget to work with.

I am interested in digging for coins and jewelry and I already have a long list of nearby historic locations and old homesteads picked out. I don't need a unit that is built for beach or underwater use. I also have a pretty nice pair of Sony headphones and a 1/4"-1/2" plug adapter. I need a spade/digging tool too. I will eventually get one of those hand held pin pointers as well, but for the moment I am looking for the best model of metal detector for my $250 - NEW OR USED

If you are a vendor that posts here, time to state your case as to why I should deal with you. I just sold some gold so I can find some more gold and this unit needs to pay for itself as quickly as possible. All vendors can now begin fawning over me and pitching woo for my cash. (kidding, kidding)
:laughing9:

Advice ------ please give me some. Thanks fellas.

Upvote 0

Suwanee

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Suwanee, GA
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
Well, I am very much brand new to this hobby, this will be my first purchase. But after reading through the message boards, and this particular topic, I decided to jump on the delta 4000 as well. I ordered mine from kellyco last night. My wife told me that it would be a perfect fathers day gift.

One of my son's has a dad who goes out treasure hunting, he told me I can tag along for the ride on a few trips to get the hang of things. Plus, I am going to hit some of the wooded areas in and around our subdivision.

Now, how waterproof is this detector? I have a creek/pond running through all our backyards and I was going to hit around that area. Will this work in those areas?

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Welcome to the board Suwanee! I am assuming your moniker is your place of residence? I live in Cornelia. There are some other Georgia folks on this board as well.

Go Dawgs...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
delta 4000 ---ok --the coil and lower shaft part are ok water wize --however DO NOT LET THE CONTROL UNIT AREA GET WET * IT WILL RUIN THE MACHINE.

tips for new users

if you area has red clay --it most likely has a bit of high iron content soil (the red color of the clay is due to "oxided" iron content (rust color = red) -- high iron content due to the highly sensitive nature of metal detectors can read as a "metal item"--if your machine "falses" a lot it might be due to high mineral content being read as metal -- if so just lower the sensitivity level a bit and it should smooth out -- high power lines (over head and buried) can also cause falsing due to electrical static that bleeds off them which can mess with the detectors electric feild it uses to find metals with --again lowering the sensitivity level should solve the issue .

Suwanee

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Suwanee, GA
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000
ivan salis said:
delta 4000 ---ok --the coil and lower shaft part are ok water wize --however DO NOT LET THE CONTROL UNIT AREA GET WET * IT WILL RUIN THE MACHINE.

tips for new users

if you area has red clay --it most likely has a bit of high iron content soil (the red color of the clay is due to "oxided" iron content (rust color = red) -- high iron content due to the highly sensitive nature of metal detectors can read as a "metal item"--if your machine "falses" a lot it might be due to high mineral content being read as metal -- if so just lower the sensitivity level a bit and it should smooth out -- high power lines (over head and buried) can also cause falsing due to electrical static that bleeds off them which can mess with the detectors electric feild it uses to find metals with --again lowering the sensitivity level should solve the issue .

Thanks for the info. yeah, it is mostly just 1 foot deep creekwater. The "pond" is from beavers dam'ing up the creek. I will just be hitting around the edges. So I will definitely keep the control unit dry. But my kids head back there all the time, and i figured i might as well get back there with them and see if I can find anything.

And hombre_de_plata_flaco, yeah, we are in Suwanee, about an hour south of Cornelia. We sometimes go up to Helen, somewhat near there.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
This is good to know about the underwater capability of the Delta coil, as there are a few swimming holes I would like to search (but only a few inches deep, of course).

Thanks again Ivan. You are a real "treasure trove" of information and a newb metal detector's best friend!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I try to help -- I too was a newbie --but a long long time ago. ;D

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
This is good to know about the underwater capability of the Delta coil, as there are a few swimming holes I would like to search (but only a few inches deep, of course).

Thanks again Ivan. You are a real "treasure trove" of information and a newb metal detector's best friend!
I think most coils are waterproof. As far as I know the Ace coil can also be immersed in fresh water but not the control box. There was however a cool post on how some someone encased the control box in a plastic container. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,100210.0.html I just slip a baggy over mine to detect in the rain.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ok2raise said:
I am a dealer here in North Ga. If you need any help let me know. some detectors don't work well in north Ga. because of hotrocks Depends on location you hunt

Well that sucks to hear. I can't just dial down the sensitivity like Ivan said? Hope I didn't just waste $280.00

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
hot rocks are high mineral content stones -- dailing back the sensitivity helps normally --unless its a INSANELY high mineral area --

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I am unfamiliar with the "hotrock" phenomenon. When I was young, my dad showed me a few pieces of what I think may have been iron ore, but I don't remember if they were found locally or not. I know I don't see a lot of folks metal detecting in my area...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
clinker around rr areas -- high iron content rock -- any rocks that cause your detectors to "false read" are often refered to as "hot rocks" in general they are rocks that are high mineral content that trigger your detector like metal objects will * they are a pain in the azz -- lowering your sensitivty level often can help --unless the place is totally ate up ( in that case NO PRESET GROUND BALANCE TYPE MACHINE WILL WORK WELL) -- if thats the case the the only cure is a --manually adjustible machine that allows you to set the ground balance level for the area your huntimg in --normally they are a higher dollar type machine

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes ,its not normal but several counties in north ga are gold bearing counties like , Whites, Lumpkin , Gilmer a few more. Some places around Gainesville is that way. Gold bearing places like these have a very high concetrates of hot rocks. Some machine you cant lower the sensetivity enough to get it tune out. Im on a gold club their.
i go over their at least once a month and use differant machines

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ok2raise said:
yes ,its not normal but several counties in north ga are gold bearing counties like , Whites, Lumpkin , Gilmer a few more. Some places around Gainesville is that way. Gold bearing places like these have a very high concetrates of hot rocks. Some machine you cant lower the sensetivity enough to get it tune out. Im on a gold club their.
i go over their at least once a month and use differant machines

Well then I guess I really am screwed because I live in Habersham County (see red arrow on map).

GAPlacerGoldMap2.jpg

Georgia-Mines2.jpg

GAmap2.jpg

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in the Gold belt. In the discrimation mode im sure you will be ok but in the all metal mode might be a differant story. Dont be sad but make the most from it. If you have problims with the hotrock call the manufactor maybe they can tell you how you can tune your machine to eliminate some of them without loosing depth
I have a piece of what looks like granite & pyrite about the size of a marble its will sound off on every metal detector i have . I found it in Elijay or gilmer county.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
use disc setting for your area -- adjust according --should be ok

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II DP; Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Hombre'
Please excuse my Noobness, but, where can a man find a map of Google Earth with all of those nice mine sites mapped out such as the one you posted a screen shot of above? That's awesome!

alfonzo

Greenie
Mar 22, 2010
Meadview, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ST, Gold Bug Pro, Garrett CSI 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hombre, if your still looking at this posting, be glad your in a gold bearing zone, take your detector but also a gold pan and shovel and pan some of that gold out of a stream, its as much fun as metal detecting. If you see bedrock exposed use the detector for the nuggets. I'm currently in the Philippines and cant wait to get back to the states for some treasure hunting.

alan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
pyrite * aka (fools gold) aka as IRON PYRITE * -- BEING IT HAS IRON IN IT --- NO WONDER THE METAL DETECTORS "HIT" ON IT . :wink: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
BornOnFire said:
Hombre'
Please excuse my Noobness, but, where can a man find a map of Google Earth with all of those nice mine sites mapped out such as the one you posted a screen shot of above? That's awesome!

I found all those screenshots in an old post here in the Georgia section @ T-Net. If I can find the thread again, I would ask that particular poster how he got them. I just lucked up that the placer mine and gold belt maps were GA.

alfonzo said:
Hombre, if your still looking at this posting, be glad your in a gold bearing zone, take your detector but also a gold pan and shovel and pan some of that gold out of a stream, its as much fun as metal detecting. If you see bedrock exposed use the detector for the nuggets. I'm currently in the Philippines and cant wait to get back to the states for some treasure hunting.

alan

My brother and I are considering doing a little panning. We have a creek that runs through my back yard. Probably will hit that one first. Duke's Creek - the location they found the first HUGE nugget that sparked the GA Gold Rush - is about 15 min. from here. Dalonega and Templeton Reid mints are also located within 20 minutes drive.

Growing up in this area, all the "Old Timers" told me this area was "mined out" - no more gold in the ground. After hanging out on this forum for a while that statement appears to be false.

I hope you are enjoying your time in the Philippines. I had considered retiring there. Be on the lookout for old "Philippines under US Sovereignty" paper currency during your stay. That stuff can be worth some $$$. I'll take some if you can find any in circulation or curiosity shops down there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread