Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have asked such an ambiguous question. What price do you have in mind? 100-300, 300-500, 500-700, 700-1000, or higher? What are you hunting for? What area do you live in? How are the soil conditions there? Do you want to just go off of sounds or do you want to see a display? Have you gone to any of the vendors sites and read up on any of the detectors and their specifications? Most companies that produce detectors offer detectors in different price ranges so they can cover the entire consumer base. I started with an El Cheapo detector, it paid for itself in 2 months, I then upgraded to a mid priced (name brand) detector and loved it. I now have the top of the line detector from the same manufacturer. Is this going to be a part time hobby? If so a mid rand detector would be where I put my money. 300-500 range. If not and you can afford a little more you might want one that is priced between 500-800 dollar range.

OP
OP
A

aimwell

Jul 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for getting back to me and I agree, my question is open ended...I'm in Mass. and the soil is full of rocks it seems and this would be a part time venture for me because I can not devote as much time to it as I would like, other duties keeps me busy. I would like to search the home and grounds here and if that proved fruitful maybe then other places as well, so maybe the 300-500 hundred range will do the job, btw what to use on walls inside the house and barn it was built before the civil war.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett ACE 350 would be a good entry level detector, especially since you have never use a MD before. Very simple, good machine.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett AT/Pro - your are in a great historic area with lots of Colonial History . I suggest this unit because its a great turn on and go unit that doesn't have a huge learning curve and is water proof. Good luck, I look forward to seeing your finds.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Aimwell,

Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! "Getty" has a point, as well as, Loco-Digger, if you can save a bit more the AT pro will probably be a better long lasting value in the long run. You can also (I do not recommend this method) operate the AT Pro in the ACE series mode with a more features. Do your research and determine what is best for your type of hunting. Also you will need a pin pointer, gloves and quality digging tools. I believe you said you are from Massachusetts, you are welcome to PM me if you have any questions.

Regards,

Doc

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go to the Kellyco site when I want to compare detectors. You can look at detectors in many price ranges one price range at a time, or one manufacturer at a time etc.. If you are interested in a couple, you can open up one of them and then hit the compare button and you then can select up 2 to more and review the specs side by side. Make sure you look at the detector's weight. I can swing a 2.9lb detector 10 hours a day, but increase the weight to 3.5 lbs and I am about finished in 6 hours. You can always get a heavier detector, but then you may want to buy a harness to reduce some of the weight. Also I advise you to buy a detector that has additional coils available by the manufacturer and possibly aftermarket brands. This way you can upgrade and stay in the same machine or just have a choice of coils to fit the needs for what you're hunting for and where you are detecting.. I like to use a Double d or "butterfly" over a concentric coil. But there are those who like concentric coils better. Do you want a detector with steep learning curve or an easy one to learn or a turn on and go detector? After you review and reduce your choices, you might want to watch some utube and instructional videos, This way you will know how they sound, and if they fit "you".

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the forum ... :thumbsup:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet aimwell! I see you already have plenty of good advice! I would sure get the best detector I could afford, especially since you are living on such a great site with OLD history! Heck, if I didn't live so darned far away I would ask permission to hunt! LOL just joking. I hope you find a great detector and you won't have to leave your own yard for some great hunting, I hope you make some great finds! GL & HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread