Best NOX Saltwater Beach Settings

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question... Why would you use Park2 instead of one of the Beach settings built in, specifically for functioning in saltwater environment?

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a question... Why would you use Park2 instead of one of the Beach settings built in, specifically for functioning in saltwater environment?

I have found Park 2 settings to be most useful in general.

Your question begs another question for me.

Does anyone know if there is something programmed into each preset program that cannot be manually adjusted to be exactly like another preset? Or can you start in any preset program (like Park 2) and manually adjust it to be another preset (like Beach 2)?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found Park 2 settings to be most useful in general.

Your question begs another question for me.

Does anyone know if there is something programmed into each preset program that cannot be manually adjusted to be exactly like another preset? Or can you start in any preset program (like Park 2) and manually adjust it to be another preset (like Beach 2)?

I do not quite understand, start in Park 2, and adjust it to become Beach 2, when Beach 2 is already there???? I'm just saying.......

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can locally set parameters in any preset to whatever you like, and they will hold until reset. See page 12 of the manual. Just copy the settings of Park2 to your Beach2, one setting at a time, and you've essentially duplicated it to Beach2. The only global setting that will change all at the same time is Sensitivity.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not quite understand, start in Park 2, and adjust it to become Beach 2, when Beach 2 is already there???? I'm just saying.......

On the XP Deus I can start in any preset program and manually adjust to any other preset. There is nothing inherently different about any preset program except that the adjustable settings are different. Is this the same with the Equinox? Or is there something programmed differently in each preset program that is unique to that preset and not adjustable?

I like Park 2 and usually hunt land. I occasionally hunt the Beach but don’t want to spend time making adjustments to Beach 2 to make it like Park 2. This is why I ask.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like you are making it harder than it has to be........to much micro-managing IMHO just hunt and enjoy! To each their own, but all of your post are on changing settings

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the XP Deus I can start in any preset program and manually adjust to any other preset. There is nothing inherently different about any preset program except that the adjustable settings are different. Is this the same with the Equinox? Or is there something programmed differently in each preset program that is unique to that preset and not adjustable?

I like Park 2 and usually hunt land. I occasionally hunt the Beach but don’t want to spend time making adjustments to Beach 2 to make it like Park 2. This is why I ask.[/QUO

Yes, there is something different within each mode, this is from Minelab

"Let’s assess Multi-IQ for the different Detect Mode search profiles:

Park 1 and Field 1 process a lower weighted frequency combination, as well as using algorithms that maximise ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio. Hence being most suited for general detecting, coin hunting, etc.
Park 2 and Field 2 process a higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. Therefore they will be more sensitive to higher frequency (low conductive) targets, but potentially more susceptible to ground noise.
Beach 1 also processes a lower weighted combination, BUT uses different algorithms to maximise ground balancing for salt. Hence being most suited for both dry and wet sand conditions.
Beach 2 processes a very low weighted frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximise ground balancing for salt. This search profile is designed for use in the surf and underwater.
Gold 1 and Gold 2 process the higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. However, they use different setting parameters better suited for gold nugget hunting."

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
I'm heading to Nags Head Friday with my son. I'm going to use my EQ600 for the first time at the beach. My son will be using his Go Find 44. Should I choose one beach setting over the other? I've never been a beach hunter. We'll just be hunting the wet and dry sound. Not getting in the water. Thanks!

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like Park 2 and usually hunt land. I occasionally hunt the Beach but don’t want to spend time making adjustments to Beach 2 to make it like Park 2. This is why I ask.[/QUO

Yes, there is something different within each mode, this is from Minelab

"Let’s assess Multi-IQ for the different Detect Mode search profiles:

Park 1 and Field 1 process a lower weighted frequency combination, as well as using algorithms that maximise ground balancing for soil, to achieve the best signal to noise ratio. Hence being most suited for general detecting, coin hunting, etc.
Park 2 and Field 2 process a higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. Therefore they will be more sensitive to higher frequency (low conductive) targets, but potentially more susceptible to ground noise.
Beach 1 also processes a lower weighted combination, BUT uses different algorithms to maximise ground balancing for salt. Hence being most suited for both dry and wet sand conditions.
Beach 2 processes a very low weighted frequency combination, using the same algorithms as Beach 1 to maximise ground balancing for salt. This search profile is designed for use in the surf and underwater.
Gold 1 and Gold 2 process the higher weighted combination of the Multi-IQ band while still ground balancing for soil. However, they use different setting parameters better suited for gold nugget hunting."

Ok, thank you. This answers that question.

OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like you are making it harder than it has to be........to much micro-managing IMHO just hunt and enjoy! To each their own, but all of your post are on changing settings

I am trying to learn the NOX like I know the Deus, which I’m gathering as much information as possible at the same time possibly helping others learn as well.

I love metal detecting in general but I love finding cool stuff even more and the settings are “where the rubber meets the road”.

Once I get the settings down I will start posting finds.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salt water is tough to ground balance out without losing sensitivity - multifrequency detectors can do it, but only when set up for those conditions - settings which are otherwise not useful.

The Nox has all that neatly packaged in the Beach 1 and Beach 2 modes. The latter is effective even in running salt water or submerged in it. I doubt that the use of any other mode, plus the adjustment of the limited variables available in thet mode would equal them in salt.

The Nox is not like the Deus. Software algorithms are “embedded” in each of the modes - these are not user accessable variables. On the Deus, the modes are simply a “collection” of presets of the user accessable variables.

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading to Nags Head Friday with my son. I'm going to use my EQ600 for the first time at the beach. My son will be using his Go Find 44. Should I choose one beach setting over the other? I've never been a beach hunter. We'll just be hunting the wet and dry sound. Not getting in the water. Thanks!

Philvis... I use BEACH 1 when hunting the dry sand and edge of the high tide line. But anything in the wet sand or underwater, i'm on BEACH 2. I'm adjusting sensitivity as needed, Groundbalancing if necessary, and adjusting my recovery speed if desired, but other than that - i would stick to 5 or 50 tones and go for BEACH 1 in the DRY and BEACH2 in the WET sand. Good hunting!

Echoplex

Feb 28, 2015
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, MXT All Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have pointed out, each mode has non-adjustable, specialized parameters and algorithms. ML is vague about each mode's algorithms for ground noise and exactly how "frequency-weighting" works, but I am definitely finding the Beach modes work MUCH better on my beaches, which are loaded with black sand. The other modes can't handle the beach here without neutering the sensitivity, so there is definitely some ML magic going on to process the salt and minerals in those modes - Their secret sauce. It's such a brilliant design, IMO. Can you imagine what kind of machines we will have, say 5 to 10 years from now, when Multi-IQ has evolved? It's a great time to be a detectorist.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is good info.. I was wondering this myself and was just about to ask.

I've been running my machine exclusively in a customized Beach 2 even in the dry sand .. only because I tend work the bank and the dry sand together now and then, and well, the dry sand hasn't been all that dry due to rain.

Going to need to try Beach 1 now and compare.

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Salt water is tough to ground balance out without losing sensitivity - multifrequency detectors can do it, but only when set up for those conditions - settings which are otherwise not useful.

The Nox has all that neatly packaged in the Beach 1 and Beach 2 modes. The latter is effective even in running salt water or submerged in it. I doubt that the use of any other mode, plus the adjustment of the limited variables available in thet mode would equal them in salt.

The Nox is not like the Deus. Software algorithms are “embedded” in each of the modes - these are not user accessable variables. On the Deus, the modes are simply a “collection” of presets of the user accessable variables.

Thanks for the insight! Fingers crossed I run across some good stuff!

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before we get too carried away with Nox secret sauce, it’s worth remembering that the Fisher CZ series from almost 20 years ago had exactly the same sort of algorithm adjustment when switched to the “salt” mode.

I agree that the Nox is more advanced in many Respects, but using multifrequency transmission and seperately processing the returned 2 or 3 signals is not new. Minelab and Fisher started doing that about the same time.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious how many Nox owners who hunt predominantly in salt water or wet sand "tweak" settings for maximum jewelry or coin results without digging to many junk targets by using Park settings, lowering swing rate for added depth, etc?
Then what about ideal Nox settings for fresh water lakes, streams or rivers?

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Curious how many Nox owners who hunt predominantly in salt water or wet sand "tweak" settings for maximum jewelry or coin results without digging to many junk targets by using Park settings, lowering swing rate for added depth, etc?

Fresh water I would use Park1, tweak sensitivity.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I always "tweak" my settings based on the conditions of the particular saltwater beach I'm hunting. Through years of hunting multiple saltwater beaches, I've found that I can walk a mere few hundred yards and the conditions may very well change significantly enough that "tweaking" is beneficial. If I change sensitivity or modes, I always noise cancel after the change.

I start with Beach 1 on the dry and damp sand and switch to Beach 2 for the wet sand and surf. I always noise cancel, ground balance and adjust sensitivity and recovery speed to meet the specific conditions. One way I test the specific conditions of a beach after noise cancelling and ground balancing is to bury a gold ring on the beach at 9 inches when I first get there. I then "tweak" the settings to find the best hit on that ring.

I've tried Park and Field modes on the beach but for me, the Beach modes work best in my area.

Just FYI, I differentiate damp from wet sand in that the damp sand is the area where the tide has receded to the point that the waves no longer come up and cover that area but the sand is still damp. The wet sand is where the waves still come up and cover the sand keeping it totally soaked.

All this is just me...your view and method may vary based on what you've found works best in your area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread