Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi diggers

I've gotten out a few times since my last post, but unfortunately my schedule has kept me to less than 2 hours at a stretch. Yesterday might have been the last. I've had a lot of nice new permissions open up so I'm scouting rather than scouring, hoping to be able to come back if we have a few more weeks of digging (watching snow accumulate as I write this) or at least have things prioritized come Spring. While my highest hopes for this year haven't been realized (Rev encampment mystery, early US silver) I have had a lot of fun and am grateful for what I've found, what I've learned, and the people I've connected with along the way.

The watch plate (not sure what it is called, a barrel bridge?) is my earliest date-able object: Thomas Tomlinson of London, circa 1647-. This book on watch history is a nice resource: https://ia802300.us.archive.org/27/items/oldclockswatches00brit/oldclockswatches00brit.pdf

So happy to have my first jaw harp, a nearly complete barrel tap, my sixth ox knob, and a nice lot of coppers (lcs are 1800, 181?, 1836, holed 1842). The reverse on the 1800 draped bust is much better in person. Interestingly, I tried the "just rub it with aluminum foil" trick on some of the blanks, and magically can now see a left facing bust on one and right facing on the other, both with Ms. Britannia on the back. Who woulda thunk?

Here's hoping the weather holds for the rest of you!

Good luck out there...

Attachments

• coins 1.JPG
    coins 1.JPG
    749.4 KB · Views: 121
  • coins 2.JPG
    coins 2.JPG
    663.4 KB · Views: 127
  • good stuff 1.JPG
    good stuff 1.JPG
    774.3 KB · Views: 123
  • reverses.JPG
    reverses.JPG
    754.1 KB · Views: 114
  • three weeks 2.JPG
    three weeks 2.JPG
    845.1 KB · Views: 125
  • three weeks.JPG
    three weeks.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 135
  • tomlinson watch.JPG
    tomlinson watch.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Upvote 28

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible early finds- you've got a lifetime's worth of LC's for some- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You my good man have been a very busy guy! You are getting into some nice early stuff. That watch plate is super cool....especially being dated. You've been hammering the nice early coins as well. If you ever get a big chunk of time you are going to have an incredible collection of early finds. You certainly make your time count which is what it's all about. Sometimes I believe having limited time makes us better all around treasure hunters. Your research better be on and you best be a proficient digger. Looks like you are mastering all of these. Super impressed buddy. Those jaw harps are hard as hell for me to find. I have one super old iron one and another nice complete brass one.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome finds! Congrats and HH

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the very productive Relic and Coin hunt! :occasion14:

The watch plate is very nice and all of those LC's...fantastic! :notworthy:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Great finds, congrats. Thanks for posting that link ! I dug a similar London watch plate that I've been trying to get info on.

By the way, I will never understand how your Halfpenny pocket spill never made the Banner :dontknow:

Last edited:

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Some folks only dream of those types of finds!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely had a solid month. The watch plate is a very cool relic. I think you are due for an early silver!

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible early finds- you've got a lifetime's worth of LC's for some- Congrats!!-- Jeff --

Thank you, Jeff. That's a nice perspective. Since I'll never find a tree coin up here, I'll be thankful for coppers. : )

You my good man have been a very busy guy! You are getting into some nice early stuff. That watch plate is super cool....especially being dated. You've been hammering the nice early coins as well. If you ever get a big chunk of time you are going to have an incredible collection of early finds. You certainly make your time count which is what it's all about. Sometimes I believe having limited time makes us better all around treasure hunters. Your research better be on and you best be a proficient digger. Looks like you are mastering all of these. Super impressed buddy. Those jaw harps are hard as hell for me to find. I have one super old iron one and another nice complete brass one.

I suppose it would be boring if we could get out and do this every day. Having to routinely pen up all the desire to hunt for a week or two and only getting bits of free time does bring some focus and urgency. And I gotta at least try to compete with you and a couple of the other home run hitters, right?! Thanks as always, Abe

Those are some awesome finds! Congrats and HH

Thanks as always, DD!

Congratualtions on the very productive Relic and Coin hunt! :occasion14:
The watch plate is very nice and all of those LC's...fantastic! :notworthy:

Preciate it, Prof! These came from 5-6 hunts across a few sites. If I found all of this in one day I'd need a change of undergarments!

Great finds, congrats. Thanks for posting that link ! I dug a similar London watch plate that I've been trying to get info on.
By the way, I will never understand how your Halfpenny pocket spill never made the Banner :dontknow:

Oooh, would love to see post yours or the link if you've posted it before. Very happy to share the link. There are a few sites that are great references for English watchmakers, but seem to require paid membership.

Very kind of you about the banner. I had lurked a bit but didn't join until the day after I found that coin purse, so I was automatically excluded. But I'm totally at peace with it : )

Ha ha, thanks man!

Congrats on an impressive assortment of finds

You're the best, Art

Great finds! Some folks only dream of those types of finds!

I'm fortunate to have picked up this hobby in a great location. Just wish I had more time! Thanks and HH to you

You definitely had a solid month. The watch plate is a very cool relic. I think you are due for an early silver!

Well, now if I find one I'll know who sent the good ju-ju into the universe! Thanks Steve, hope you are having some good outings yourself.

Last edited:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Z.K., I think mine says "J. Moore". Mine appears to have more jewel holes, so I am guessing it is later than yours.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice assortment of finds....good few hunts...

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Z.K., I think mine says "J. Moore". Mine appears to have more jewel holes, so I am guessing it is later than yours.

From what I can tell the use of jeweled bearings was patented in the early 1700s and successfully commercialized in the 1720s, and by the second half of the 18th century was in more common use. I think your watch plate comes from:
Moore. John, 118, Fleet St., 1769-75.
A wonderful little 1911 e-book about the subject:
https://archive.org/details/jeweledbearingsf00higg

Great finds! Congratulations!
Thanks Aureus!

Wow, nice assortment of finds....good few hunts...
Thanks very much, Patriot

That's some cool stuff!
I'm really happy to have found a lot of this, thanks Romeo-1

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like youn had a great month pulling quality find ZK. :headbang:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love your finds! The jaw harp is really nice, and just look at all those coins! Congrats. -Lisa & John

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great day.
Well done.

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like youn had a great month pulling quality find ZK. :headbang:
Thanks as always man. When did you pick up Pennsylvanian talk ("youn" is their answer to the absence of a third person plural in English, and I love it).

Love your finds! The jaw harp is really nice, and just look at all those coins! Congrats. -Lisa & John
thanks you two!

Looks like a great day.
Well done.
it was a great couple of them. Thanks AARC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions