Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi diggers

I've gotten out a few times since my last post, but unfortunately my schedule has kept me to less than 2 hours at a stretch. Yesterday might have been the last. I've had a lot of nice new permissions open up so I'm scouting rather than scouring, hoping to be able to come back if we have a few more weeks of digging (watching snow accumulate as I write this) or at least have things prioritized come Spring. While my highest hopes for this year haven't been realized (Rev encampment mystery, early US silver) I have had a lot of fun and am grateful for what I've found, what I've learned, and the people I've connected with along the way.

The watch plate (not sure what it is called, a barrel bridge?) is my earliest date-able object: Thomas Tomlinson of London, circa 1647-. This book on watch history is a nice resource: https://ia802300.us.archive.org/27/items/oldclockswatches00brit/oldclockswatches00brit.pdf

So happy to have my first jaw harp, a nearly complete barrel tap, my sixth ox knob, and a nice lot of coppers (lcs are 1800, 181?, 1836, holed 1842). The reverse on the 1800 draped bust is much better in person. Interestingly, I tried the "just rub it with aluminum foil" trick on some of the blanks, and magically can now see a left facing bust on one and right facing on the other, both with Ms. Britannia on the back. Who woulda thunk?

Here's hoping the weather holds for the rest of you!

Good luck out there...

Attachments

• coins 1.JPG
    coins 1.JPG
    749.4 KB · Views: 121
  • coins 2.JPG
    coins 2.JPG
    663.4 KB · Views: 127
  • good stuff 1.JPG
    good stuff 1.JPG
    774.3 KB · Views: 123
  • reverses.JPG
    reverses.JPG
    754.1 KB · Views: 114
  • three weeks 2.JPG
    three weeks 2.JPG
    845.1 KB · Views: 125
  • three weeks.JPG
    three weeks.JPG
    757.3 KB · Views: 135
  • tomlinson watch.JPG
    tomlinson watch.JPG
    349.4 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Upvote 28
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow,, that was one sweet month of hunting.
You have to make time for more hunts. Especially with the locations that are giving up so many excellent targets.
Congratulations

Thanks, Doc. I'm actually stepping off a couple of committees at the end of this year to make more time for family and this hobby. Hoping to have 6-8 hours a week to devote to mding in 17. My best to you...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions