which pans are your favorite ?

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
ive always wanted to try the Garrett myself but never bought one! It seems that ive bought about every other pan to try and then sold them. I still like the pan I started with and that's the green gpaa pan and ive got atleast 6 of them if not more!

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
!B)7dwr!EGk~$(KGrHqZ_!iYEw5!N1d5NBMPjRdYRSg~~_1.JPG.jpeg I'm likely a rarity here, I use the Roaring Camp Mining Co. "Gold Saver" in a burgundy color.
when I first started over 6 years ago, it happened to be the one brand of pan that a local hardware store had, so I lucked out on a good one.
snagged a web pic of it to show
also use a Garrett piggyback gravity trap.

one thing I've noticed about the color of my pan: I not only see gold contrasted clearly, I get a better view of amalgam and "junk" like lead than I do in green. could be just the way may eyes are or because I'm used to it though.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
attachment-1 (1).jpeg Cheapo black dummy pan

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Round pan, proline blue. Love the la trap also.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A green Proline "Professional" is my preferred shape but my aging eyes see the fine gold much better against black, I've started using a generic black pan more. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451138603.670721.jpg (yup, that's gold sitting with the black sand in my sluice concentrates)

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cheapo, generic black pan from Sportsmans Warehouse is the only one I haved used. The Garrett one looks pretty aggressive and was considering getting one.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like the Garrett Super Sluice. It chews through large amounts of material very quickly but is also great for cleanup. My Pyramid Pro pan never gets used anymore.

The Prolines look very functional and I'm hoping to pick one up at the next gold show.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh I like the Garrett Super Sluice too! It works surprisingly well with -100 gold!

I don't like the Garrett Gravity Trap- the bottom is too small. (Just gave mine away at a club meeting in fact)

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always stuck with the Garrett pans. I have at least a couple of sets of Garrett pans that I keep packed up and ready to go.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have always stuck with the Garrett pans. I have at least a couple of sets of Garrett pans that I keep packed up and ready to go.

Cool. One key point from "the great pan debates" of the past: colors and shapes that work well for one person may not work well for another...we can all be right at the same time, for different reasons of course :-)

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I like the Garrett Super Sluice too! It works surprisingly well with -100 gold!

I don't like the Garrett Gravity Trap- the bottom is too small. (Just gave mine away at a club meeting in fact)

That's good to hear, because in my pic above^^......that's what's in it!!:icon_thumright:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got several types of pans, all of which get used depending on what I'm doing at the time. To me a pan is like any other tool in that you need to use the right tool for the job at hand. You're not going to use a tack hammer to drive 16d nails or a framing hammer to set brads.

Garrett "Gravity Trap" is my go to pan when I know I'll be panning a lot of material. It fits my hand well and I like how the angle on the sides feels. The GPAA ones have steeper sides and I can't use them for as long as I can my Garretts without my wrist starting to hurt. I've also got some smaller dark blue plastic ones I was given. These have no markings so I don't know what brand they are but they work well on small batches. Dual riffles. Large riffles on one side and small ones on the other.

Falcon blue pan works great for doing final cleanups on cons but it feels flimsy to me. I like a pan with a solid feel to it. If it was thicker I'd use it more.

Steel pans in various sizes I use for doing "Shake & Bake" with. Heat the materials in the steel pans and then put them in the plastic pans after quenching/cooling. I still have one of my first steel pans with "Chinese Riffles" hanging around. Like most guys I hate throwing tools of any sort out.

Years ago when I was a young tenderfoot, (yeah... Even I was one of those at one time) I had a couple of pans that I really liked. They were black ABS plastic with molded in arrow shaped traps in the bottom. I haven't been able to find them any more though.

I haven't tried any of the newer designs like the "Turbo Pan", "Pyramid Pan" or others like them because I feel they're just reinventing the wheel here. On pans, how well they catch gold is a matter on knowing your pan and at which angle it does the best job. Fancy isn't needed at all. How many times have we heard stories of guys using a hubcap to pan with and still finding gold?

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
goldenIrishman: the black ABS pan you described is made by Jobe, I have one...really lightweight, but I'll only use it to get the blondes panned off ater a clean-up.
steel pans (smile)...when I first started mining, I met up with two characters who used them exclusively.
one said : "plastic pans have no soul"...I asked him if his pan went to heaven when it died :)
another said: "the only use I got for a plastic pan is a dog dish"...fool, dog dishes are cheaper than plastic pans :)
the first guy was using an antique 1890's steel pan, with some tiny ridges for riffles, the other talked about how he could cook in his...
btw, I live in an area where a lot of "green gold" is found and consumed...maybe that's why I got those comments from them two huckleberries.

coolfinie

Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like big pans myself, and find they make it easier to proceed through concentrate fast without dumping the nice yellow stuff back into the river.
So my preference is currently for the Proline 17" in blue and the Estwing 16" in black.
Dark colours rule for me.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Garrett 14". Their 10" pan has too small a bottom. I do like the angles of those pans.

SoCalDesertFox

Nov 27, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
First Texas Search Master DX-3500 (1981)
Primary Interest:
Other
I use my busted 20" electric wok for initial dry panning on-site, I rip through 5 gallon bucket of concentrate in about 15 minutes, then finish those reduced concentrates off in a typical black pan in water at home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread