Best place to buy Tesoro? Accepting random MD advice as well!

Goat_of_Reason

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
Hi all! We're new. Nice to meet you! :)

Since most of the dealers online are selling Tesoros at the same price with free shipping, the competition must have moved to free or discounted accessories with purchase of the detector... Right? If so, do any of you know of the best place to get a deal on accessories with the purchase of a new Tesoro? You know, like headphones, or diggers, etc...

As a side point, we are buying our first MD and think we have settled on the Vaquero. We have no interest in historic relics. What we want is shiny treasure. Mostly coins and jewelry and occasionally some streambed/mountain nugget searching. Red clay/dirt, mountains, and sandy beaches are the terrain. Vaquero good, bad? Should we get the Silver and save some dough? Any random advice is good advice, because we are incredibly brand new to this.

Thanks!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Welcome to Tnet.
4-H on Tnet sells Tesoros and is a good guy. He would probably be the best to ask about which machine. I've never used a Vaquero but did have a silver sabre uMax and now have a Cibola. The Cibola will go deeper but the main problem with both machines is they are not that great in highly minerlized soil of which there is a lot where I live. I think for mountains I would not get a silver. I would ask the dealer you chose as they would best know the limits of the machines.
I hope to see you posting some good finds soon.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
4-H

got mine from 4-h. service was "above and beyone the call of duty". didn't ask about accessories....most of the time they're pretty cheaply made (cheap headphones at $25 with an ace 250 and cheap ass digger....all from kellyco) unless you're getting extra coils. so i buy everything separate and get quality on every item. don't mind paying.

OP
OP
G

Goat_of_Reason

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
Thanks for the help! We will see what we can do to contact 4-H.

We don't mind paying either, it's just that with everyone selling them at the exact same price+shipping one would think that some of the dealers would try to do some product differentiation. Like "Buy your Tesoro here and you get *% off coils, or headphones!" or whatnot. Otherwise, for newcomers without established relationships, there is little reason to choose one dealer over another. Getting a good deal is almost like finding treasure! We like treasure, YES we do!

Yeah, vayank54, the Silver is tempting because of the reviews and price, but without a GB knob we think it would suffer here in the southeast with all of the different types of soil. So, we choose the Vaquero... Cry once, right? :wink:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
4-H will guide you straight on a machine. All I can tell you is I've had 3 different Tesoros and all of them have been good machines. Even in some bad soil they do ok. Sandtrout is right about the extras too. a lot of that stuff is junk and not worth fooling with. Good luck.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason metal detectors are all sold at a set price is that is the price the manufacturer sets. This is the same for all brands no matter where you buy it. It is up to the dealer if he wants to add any extra stuff, but that $$ comes out the money he has to buy food for the kids.

Contact 4-H and see what he says about the detector you need. Being able to ask a dealer questions is worth the extra pennies spent.

OP
OP
G

Goat_of_Reason

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
Sandman said:
but that $$ comes out the money he has to buy food for the kids.

While this may be off-the-cuff "economics" for the average person not trained in economics or finance, it is indeed a fallacy. The purpose of product differentiation it to increase total sales, thereby increasing profit. If the marketing strategy is successful, the profit PER UNIT may be less, but the increased number of units sold causes total profits to rise.

The interaction of sellers trying to get the most profit and consumers trying to pay the least cost (cost does not always equal "price") is one of the fundamental engines of the economy.

Following the "starving children" logic, why stop at MD dealers? Why not live in a cave and send all of our paychecks to feed the starving children of Africa?

We don't buy this line of thinking. If it were correct, we should feel a sense of indignation that the dealer, by not providing a discount, is stealing food from OUR children's mouths, but we don't. It is simply their job to get the most and ours to spend the least. The relationship is balanced and as long as there is no outside influence, most transactions are win-win.

In our case, we feel that since there are no significant quantifiable differences between different dealers and their prices, it makes sense to broaden our search into the used market. By purchasing a used machine we spend NO money with ANY dealer. This is the worst case scenario for the grumbling bellies of the dealer's starving children. One must assume that we have children as well, so they balance each other out and the argument concerning starving children is moot.

But, we digress, as the topic is "where is the best place to get a deal with a Tesoro", not Econ 101.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Goat_of_Reason said:
Sandman said:
but that $$ comes out the money he has to buy food for the kids.

While this may be off-the-cuff "economics" for the average person not trained in economics or finance, it is indeed a fallacy. The purpose of product differentiation it to increase total sales, thereby increasing profit. If the marketing strategy is successful, the profit PER UNIT may be less, but the increased number of units sold causes total profits to rise.

The interaction of sellers trying to get the most profit and consumers trying to pay the least cost (cost does not always equal "price") is one of the fundamental engines of the economy.

Following the "starving children" logic, why stop at MD dealers? Why not live in a cave and send all of our paychecks to feed the starving children of Africa?

We don't buy this line of thinking. If it were correct, we should feel a sense of indignation that the dealer, by not providing a discount, is stealing food from OUR children's mouths, but we don't. It is simply their job to get the most and ours to spend the least. The relationship is balanced and as long as there is no outside influence, most transactions are win-win.

In our case, we feel that since there are no significant quantifiable differences between different dealers and their prices, it makes sense to broaden our search into the used market. By purchasing a used machine we spend NO money with ANY dealer. This is the worst case scenario for the grumbling bellies of the dealer's starving children. One must assume that we have children as well, so they balance each other out and the argument concerning starving children is moot.

But, we digress, as the topic is "where is the best place to get a deal with a Tesoro", not Econ 101.
We became dealers here mainly because we teach kids at the 4-H center Metal detecting.
It's not my day job....Thank goodness!
The difference between dealers is customer service.
Something we take very seriously here.
I will go out of my way to make sure my clients get the attention they deserve.
We do as we promise and hope to make a few friends a long the way.
I have even offered my clients to take them along with me to educate them on their new machines.
Thanks for the nice words guys and referral.

Samantha Michelle :binkybaby: ...and her Dad :)

OP
OP
G

Goat_of_Reason

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
Thanks for the reply 4-H!

I will keep you in mind when the time comes to pull the trigger on a machine. :icon_thumleft:

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
howdy 4-h...you said, "I will go out of my way to make sure my clients get the attention they deserve." ha-ha! are you kidding me? your service to me was way over the top! kellyco, while not bad, would have laughed in my face at my requests. never even talked to you on the phone....only by email....and you came through with flying colors! you think i'd ever forget that? not likely! the advice on this board to use you was well founded! don't retire anytime soon...we need you here! dan in so cal

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sandtrout said:
howdy 4-h...you said, "I will go out of my way to make sure my clients get the attention they deserve." ha-ha! are you kidding me? your service to me was way over the top! kellyco, while not bad, would have laughed in my face at my requests. never even talked to you on the phone....only by email....and you came through with flying colors! you think i'd ever forget that? not likely! the advice on this board to use you was well founded! don't retire anytime soon...we need you here! dan in so cal
Thank you Dan!
That makes us happy!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Goat_of_Reason said:

Since most of the dealers online are selling Tesoros at the same price with free shipping, the competition must have moved to free or discounted accessories with purchase of the detector... Right? If so, do any of you know of the best place to get a deal on accessories with the purchase of a new Tesoro? You know, like headphones, or diggers, etc...

As a side point, we are buying our first MD and think we have settled on the Vaquero. We have no interest in historic relics. What we want is shiny treasure. Mostly coins and jewelry and occasionally some streambed/mountain nugget searching. Red clay/dirt, mountains, and sandy beaches are the terrain. Vaquero good, bad? Should we get the Silver and save some dough? Any random advice is good advice, because we are incredibly brand new to this.

Thanks!
All new Tesoro's i have seen no matter were you got it were the same price. And i have never seen any accessories offered with a Tesoro by any dealer. What you want is a dealer that gives you good service and no BS . So i will put my vote in for .. 4H .. i will use him again........

Attachments

• 1269373409.gif
    1269373409.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 441
  • 1269373409.gif
    1269373409.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 437
  • 100_2050.jpg
    100_2050.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 492

oroh2o

Mar 10, 2006
Since you are new, I suggest the Cibola or the Lobo Super Trac. The Lobo is a good nugget machine with the disc. features you need for coins. The Vaquero is an excellent choice, but the G/B can be frustrating to some. The adjustments are very sensitive. I use my Vaq. for both coins and relics. Good luck.......

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oroh2o said:
Since you are new, I suggest the Cibola or the Lobo Super Trac. The Lobo is a good nugget machine with the disc. features you need for coins. The Vaquero is an excellent choice, but the G/B can be frustrating to some. The adjustments are very sensitive. I use my Vaq. for both coins and relics. Good luck.......
Agreed

ameangreenbean

Greenie
Jun 6, 2010
Goat_of_Reason said:

Should we get the Silver and save some dough? Any random advice is good advice, because we are incredibly brand new to this.

Thanks!

I just bought a Silver uMax from 4-H on the forum. Came in two days. Price was inline with everyone else. Happy to support him as customer service is top notch and he supports kids learning the hobby. I'm very pleased with my experience with him.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
The best place to buy any Tesoro is from a Tesoro dealer...Avoid the big box stores when buying a Tesoro...Dealers are the best choice because they give great service before, during, and after the sale..My only experience with Tesoro is with the Compadre and Tiger Shark...Both are great detectors and I would not want another brand of detector....Several times I have called the Tesoro office and have spoken with the owner or chief technician, try doing that with other detector companies....4H is a great guy to work with, you will not be disappointed.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RON (PA) said:
The best place to buy any Tesoro is from a Tesoro dealer...Avoid the big box stores when buying a Tesoro...Dealers are the best choice because they give great service before, during, and after the sale..My only experience with Tesoro is with the Compadre and Tiger Shark...Both are great detectors and I would not want another brand of detector....Several times I have called the Tesoro office and have spoken with the owner or chief technician, try doing that with other detector companies....4H is a great guy to work with, you will not be disappointed.
Thanks Ron!

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
4-H said:
We became dealers here mainly because we teach kids at the 4-H center Metal detecting.

I have seen nothing but good posts about 4-H and his business dealings.
This post is right in line with what I have read on the forums.
There are other dealers out there but 4-H has been getting a lot of good press lately.
Goat Of Reason ... you should call him and talk detectors a while ... IF you are really looking for someone to deal with.

Willee

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Willee said:
4-H said:

I have seen nothing but good posts about 4-H and his business dealings.
This post is right in line with what I have read on the forums.
There are other dealers out there but 4-H has been getting a lot of good press lately.
Goat Of Reason ... you should call him and talk detectors a while ... IF you are really looking for someone to deal with.

Willee
People love to told the truth!

M

miser

Bought mine from 4-H late Tuesday evening. Arrived that Friday afternoon. Now that's service!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread