flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Central NJ, mid Atlantic region. I've found a lot of great things here in this state of landfill. Im wandering What state , county , region do you think has the greatest finds for the average MD er ??? I think most md people would flip if they saw the things me and my friends pull out of here. I'm the only one on TNET out of 3 others

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the idea of earliest settled areas,population a consideration. Traffic areas before and after too.(coasts rivers paths), Europe with its history of so many centuries ,wow. I guess settlement age for older items, population for most and recent items. I could help take the burden off you if you can cover transportation!:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
releventchair said:
I like the idea of earliest settled areas,population a consideration. Traffic areas before and after too.(coasts rivers paths), Europe with its history of so many centuries ,wow. I guess settlement age for older items, population for most and recent items. I could help take the burden off you if you can cover transportation!:laughing7:

Exactly, I think the Dutch settled first followed by the Spanish and English way back when.
16 century NJ. I prefer early American though.

I've been to Michigan before. Pick you up at 0700 ? ;)

Last edited:

Calvin.Coin

Sep 27, 2012
Southwestern America
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread...I live in the barren southwest and after doing some research was surprised to find how rich of a history every part of our country has. For example, everybody has heard of Francisco Coronado...but there were others as well, both before and after.

A lot of effort goes into finding the fabled places those explorers were looking for. But some of those expeditions were comprised of large groups of men sent out to enlarge and enforce the King of Spain's royal fifth. Much had to be pilfered along the way and there really are only so many logical ways to move groups of people and horses across the southwestern states. They had to camp, somewhere. They had to be wary of unexpected death (Indian attack) and so it seems likely that things got misplaced along the way. Treasure hunting is addicting...

peace,
CC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I live in Central NJ, mid Atlantic region. I've found a lot of great things here in this state of landfill. Im wandering What state , county , region do you think has the greatest finds for the average MD er ??? I think most md people would flip if they saw the things me and my friends pull out of here. I'm the only one on TNET out of 3 others

The answer to your question is: It depends on what you're looking for. Because, sure, it's true that you east coast guys get the lions share of older coins (go figure, populations and towns started there, before ever moving west). So sure, you'll get large cents, IH's, colonial coppers, busts, etc... more than a west coast guy will ever get. However, you guys don't get the rarer mint marks as often as us west coast guys do. You will mostly find the philly mints. A simple look at the red book shows that S mints (and CC's) tend to be the rarer ones. When we're pulling up teens wheaties, barbers, and seateds, here where I'm at, they're mostly S's. So .... it's a toss up as to "which is a better state", when you start factoring things like that in.

Or if you meant as in jewelry, well I suppose your beach front tourist locations would be better than mid-west or in-land type land hunt area (unless you've found a swimming hole or prolific fresh water lake beach). However, those guys who hunt beaches all the time, and find better jewelry ratios than the relic/land hunter, will scarcely EVER find an old coin (at least not that hasn't been toasted by the salt beach).

So the answer to your question is, it just depends.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
flyadive said:

Your the only what of three others on T-Net?

OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ticm said:
Your the only what of three others on T-Net?

I MD with 3 other people and I'm the only one of my friends on this form. They don't or won't take the time to join. I do not post for them either.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I MD with 3 other people and I'm the only one of my friends on this form. They don't or won't take the time to join. I do not post for them either.

So .... just curious: In a location like where you are, of the 3 of you: Who has the most large cents by now? Out here where I'm at, it's rare for a person to get more than a few of them (I've only found one in 35+ yrs. out here). We will find more spanish and mexican reales, before we EVER find a large cent (since CA was a territory of Spain, then Mexico). And for some reason we find more gold coins than large cents.

Another oddity: when we're in a location giving up coins from pre 1900 (like say, old stage stops, old-town urban demolition, etc...) we will find more silver coins (barbers, seateds), than we do IH's. I recall one stage stop that gave up about 15 seateds (and even a gold coin), yet only a single IH came from that place. Because SF didn't start minting pennies till 1908. Yet over on the east coast, IH's are much more abundant when in areas porking out coins from the late 1800s, right?

OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Over here we do find a lot of large cents

Last edited:
OP
OP
flyadive

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
One of you guys has found 123 large cents ? aagghh that's sickening !! ok next question : who'sfound the most gold coins between you three guys?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread