Best Settings for Garrett Ace 250??

F

freemoney

Ok, I will be getting a ace 250 soon and Im new to metal detecting BUT I dont except to find anything wroth lots of $$, my only goal is to find any coin thats older then 1950, anyways I will be starting on my yard and expanding to a local park, what are the best settings for it on land that is green grass thats cut and sometimes wet grass, basic dirt ground, washington state..anyways please post back here..thankyou!! ;D

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
if an area is not too trashy ill just run mine in all metal with the sensativity as high as i can set it while still being stable. that way you get the most depth possible. in moderatly trashy areas i usually use the jewelry setting and in high trashy areas i use the coin setting. i always set the sensativity as high as i can get away with. good luck and dont forget to post your finds!

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi free, I mostly use coin mode with sensitivity as high as possible. All metal I think is deeper but I hunt some very trashy sites and the audio will drive you nuts!!!!!
Good luck with your new machine!!!!!
HH
Greg

OP
OP
F

freemoney

What do you mean trashy sites? my yard has no trash on it but do you mean trash underground???

epi-hunter

Nov 1, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
'Trashy' means a lot of metal trash. Pulltabs, foil, canslaw, crushed cans, old metal whatsits, etc. Some old homestead sites you might not expect to be 'trashy', but they turn out to be that way because it's not all that uncommon for people to have just pitched their junk out the nearest window to dispose of it. Or, if the house was torn down, there could be tons of iron (nails, scraps, etc) in the ground. Or, the old homestead might have been a meeting place for teenagers for years on end (for example) and be filled with beer cans.

In parks, it's often trashy, and especially in areas near a concession stand for example, there is so much foil and junk metal in the ground that it's almost impossible to identify and pinpoint the coin signals between it. You know the coins are there, but they're hard to find. In that case a smaller coil is great.

I live in a newer house with a pristine 5 acre yard that no one would expect to be 'trashy' but it is, because apparently the guy who lived here before me threw all his cans and old junk into the yard just before the sod was put on. You never know what to expect.

OP
OP
F

freemoney

I dont think they are trashy site, my yard is a 2.5 acre land near a small forest (which I will also try my luck) and then there is a park near by house and its kinda new, only a like 4 months old.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Hi Free, epi explained it perfectly. My house was built in 1863 and I think they threw everything away in the backyard!!!! I think I have found about 10 lbs. of wadded up foil and other specks of crap :'( I know the oldies are there somewhere!!!
HH
Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions