Best unsearched roll of IHP and Wheats (E-Bay) your thoughts on possible scams?

Jimmy@romega

Dec 4, 2008
rome, ga
I've seen plenty of these on E-bay where the seller claims to come into large amounts of estate coins and sells them at random and claims they have no idea what's in the rolls. " I just don't have the time to go thru thousands of coins" so they claim and just sells them out right as rolls. Then you will see the feedback "WOW I found a 1955 DD penny in mine", " 1909 s vdb", "1916 d mercury dime". I usually don't pay any attention nor do I even attempt to buy anything that is random or chance. So whay are ya'lls thoughts about this kind of sells tactics on E-bay?

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
sometimes they are honestly selling unsearched rolls but usually it means the rolls
have not been searched by them. The way that they get that fantastic feedback is to make up some extra nice rolls and ship them out first. Those glowing reports will sell the others. some will admit that they tossed in key coins to sweeten the pot. If you wonder how they could afford to have five 1909-s-vdb coins mulitply the number of rolls by the starting price of each roll and see how high the markup and profit really is. That said I just bought ten rolls myself where they claimed there were some BU indians left in. I paid less than $6 per roll and the shipping was not a ripoff like the other problem auctions. They also threw in some key coins before they rolled them so maybe i'll get lucky. I also paid them with monopoly money from my paypal account so no big deal even if they are all culls. siegfried schlagrule

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought a few rolls like this and I was always happy with the results, no key IH cents were found but several "full liberty" were found that I swapped out coins that were already in my book. So I feel it was a good deal.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you trust people like this you deserve to be taken by the crooks. Would you sell the rolls unchecked? Feed back can be faked.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the rolls I got were crimped just like the rolls I buy from the bank.

and would I check the rolls first then sell them on ebay as unsearched? NO I am not a liar.

Nor would I sell a roll of wheats with mixed in IH cents with full liberty for the price I paid too. You make it sound like every ebay seller is a crook.

S

stefen

You all must admit there are a great number of scammers that use smoke and mirrors to describe their product.

I recently purchased a mixed IH + Linc roll which had 11 steel's and predominently 50's...what a waste.

B

BIG61AL

I have bought "unsearched" cents before...never found anything real good, no key dates, no errors, any old wheat was almost worn flat........if they say unsearched it means we have alot of common coin we are looking to overcharge you for.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make it sound like every ebay seller is a crook.

There are many sellers on ebay and elsewhere that are honest, but there are also others that it is just "Business." This means stretch the truth in advertising or represent the product.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
sometimes they are honestly selling unsearched rolls but usually it means the rolls
have not been searched by them. The way that they get that fantastic feedback is to make up some extra nice rolls and ship them out first. Those glowing reports will sell the others. some will admit that they tossed in key coins to sweeten the pot. If you wonder how they could afford to have five 1909-s-vdb coins mulitply the number of rolls by the starting price of each roll and see how high the markup and profit really is. That said I just bought ten rolls myself where they claimed there were some BU indians left in. I paid less than $6 per roll and the shipping was not a ripoff like the other problem auctions. They also threw in some key coins before they rolled them so maybe i'll get lucky. I also paid them with monopoly money from my paypal account so no big deal even if they are all culls. siegfried schlagrule

UPDATE - Coins arrrived. Guy tossed in an extra roll and a few singles. With the bonus there were seven coins in the teens and one steel cent high grade with spots. Rarest coins was a 1954. Very few "s" coins no 1955-s. Don't recommend buying. I've done much better buying bags at pawn shops and from major dealers. Whenever you search bulk wheats and find no steel cents you can tell they have been gone through heavily. If they will strip them for the extra penny the only good coins you get will have been added to keep you quiet. My curiousity is satisfied. siegfried schlagrule

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Re: Best unsearched roll of IHP and Wheats (E-Bay) your thoughts on possible sca

I would like to add that I have sold unsearched rolls of wheats on ebay. About 3 years ago, I began to roll the coins so that they stored easier. I've been hoarding them since I was 9. My grandfather left me his hoard. He literally had 5 gal. buckets with wheats just thrown in loose. I sold a bunch about 2 years ago just to get rid of some of the rolls while at the same time padding my paypal account to buy other coins. With my rolls of wheats that I sold, I picked up entire collection of silver eagles, a few morgans, and peace dollars. I was eventually persuaded to not sell anymore of the wheats. I have Rubbermaid totes full of rolled wheats. I could never go through them as I don't have the time. The hoard will eventually be given to my nephew while my nieces will get my silver.

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I usually check the feedback of the seller also before I bid. Thought I had found a good deal till I saw he had 70 feedbacks and 29 of those were no longer registered so will watch this guy a little longer before buying from him.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been looking at those lately and wondering the same thing. Some of the sellers have 100% ratings for years. They must be good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread