Best value beach detector.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we don't know if you want to use it for fresh water or salt water. If you want to use it on the dry sand or hunt the wet or even if your planning on taking it in the water. For dry sand any detector should work well. Just depends on if you need a display to lie to you. Wet sand requires a CZ-21, Excal II, BHID, all $$$ as these operate on more than one frequency. Then there are the Pulse Induction detectors which are very deep but you'll dig deep holes for tiny pieces of iron, tacks, nails, all junk ever made. Water proof fresh water-Tesoro Tiger Shark with large coil for covering more area fast.

068.gif

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my AT Pro for fresh and salt water. It's water proof up to 10 ft and has ground balance. It's an all around good machine so if you expand to parks and other areas it'll still be effective. I've been very pleased these last two years with it.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO......... spending the big $$$$ for the right machine is a better choice than spending money twice. If you beach hunt with any consistency the high dollar machines pay for themselves pretty quick and most are dive capable. Thou some single freq machines may work.... they just arent as affect as those multi freq designed for salt water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for some advice on a good beach detector without having to spend $$$$.

What kind of water fresh or salt, in the water, wet sand or just dry sand.

What do you call $$$$, you get what you pay for. ATPro works good on some beaches and on other beaches not so good, depends on the beaches, it is noisy or chatters on some beaches...

Reelsnrods

Feb 13, 2013
Nantucket
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my AT Pro in dry sand, but as soon as I get into the moist stuff it's a mess on my beaches. Listen to the pro's above, and you'll be on the right track no matter which detector you chose. I learned quick that you can use a water detector on land (Unfortunately they're normally heavy), but most land detectors suck in the saltwater.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GD,

I tried the inexpensive to moderate priced MD's to hunt Ocean beaches over the last 2 years. After trying to go with less, I bought a 2016 version CTX 3030 and won't look back...Call Tony S @ Fort Bedford MD (he's a TNet Vendor) and tell him I sent you...GL and HH

Looking for some advice on a good beach detector without having to spend $$$$.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saltwater beach setup:

In the water and on the WET sand - Tesoro Sand Shark 8" coil pulse induction machine $580.00

On the DRY sand - Tesoro Compadre 8" coil VLF machine $160.00

Total Cost for beach setup - $740.00

With these two machines you have better capability than with one machine that costs twice as much. :skullflag:

OP
OP
G

Gone Detectin

Nov 2, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Bandido II Umax,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well we don't know if you want to use it for fresh water or salt water. If you want to use it on the dry sand or hunt the wet or even if your planning on taking it in the water. For dry sand any detector should work well. Just depends on if you need a display to lie to you. Wet sand requires a CZ-21, Excal II, BHID, all $$$ as these operate on more than one frequency. Then there are the Pulse Induction detectors which are very deep but you'll dig deep holes for tiny pieces of iron, tacks, nails, all junk ever made. Water proof fresh water-Tesoro Tiger Shark with large coil for covering more area fast.

View attachment 1286784

Sorry was thinking just beach hunting in general. Wet sand and dry, not much for wading but I guess I could put most detectors in a waterproof box.

Been eyeballing a sovereign gt but not sure about how good it would do in trash.

Thanks for the help.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my DetectorPro Headhunter Underwater, both in the water and the dry beach. ~ $680. All electronics are in the waterproof headphones, which makes the shaft light and easy to swing. 8" coil only.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sovereign would be great if your not going in the water. Just make sure not to get the box wet.
The Excal is a waterproof Sovereign and if you plan on taking a swim that's the one you should get.
Good luck

Sorry was thinking just beach hunting in general. Wet sand and dry, not much for wading but I guess I could put most detectors in a waterproof box.

Been eyeballing a sovereign gt but not sure about how good it would do in trash.

Thanks for the help.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For going in the salt or fresh water, snorkel to shallow scuba deep (10-20Ft), and/or wading, shoreline use, dry and wet beach sand, and also for parks, farms, residential areas, fields, schools and tot-lots, or just about anywhere, a CTX-3030 would work; if trying to save costs buy used.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Saltwater beach setup:

In the water and on the WET sand - Tesoro Sand Shark 8" coil pulse induction machine $580.00

On the DRY sand - Tesoro Compadre 8" coil VLF machine $160.00

Total Cost for beach setup - $740.00

With these two machines you have better capability than with one machine that costs twice as much. :skullflag:

I would NEVER recommend a PI to a person wanting to beach hunt the first time. I also don't know why you recommend an 8" coil. As stated a PI will pick up every piece of rusty iron. I think a PI is only good for professionals who don't mind picking up everything.

I would recommend a machine good for the water and the sand. A Minelab Excal, Fisher CZ-20/21, or a Whites BHID. All three will work great in fresh water, salt water and wet and dry sand.

I only use my 8" coil in weeds where it gets tiring trying to knock them down in the water with a 10.5 inch. Open sandy areas I love the larger coil.

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sovereign GT is an awesome detector. It does very well in trash due to its iron mask feature; as with any detector, a small coil is better for trashy areas. A big coil is best for open beach/ sanded in conditions. With the Sovereign, you can customize by changing your coil to suit conditions. There are many coils available for the Sovereign, too.

Happy Hunting!

Charles

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would NEVER recommend a PI to a person wanting to beach hunt the first time. I also don't know why you recommend an 8" coil. As stated a PI will pick up every piece of rusty iron. I think a PI is only good for professionals who don't mind picking up everything.

I would recommend a machine good for the water and the sand. A Minelab Excal, Fisher CZ-20/21, or a Whites BHID. All three will work great in fresh water, salt water and wet and dry sand.

I only use my 8" coil in weeds where it gets tiring trying to knock them down in the water with a 10.5 inch. Open sandy areas I love the larger coil.

Gosh, I am SHOCKED that you would disagree with me.. Not! :laughing7:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Well Terry, my finds and my success speak for themselves. I find between 3600.00 and 27 thousand dollars in gold a season here. THIS isn't personal at all. I have absolutely no reason to fight with anyone over a stupid computer screen. Last I knew, you were a Tesoro dealer. If you still are you have an agenda. I don't. I am honest and I am here to help others PERIOD.

My advice on a PI machine for ANY beaches that are trashy stands. ANY piece of iron will be picked up and they will be scooping more trash than good targets. I am POSITIVE, most on here will agree with me. I have NO idea where the OP is and neither do you. I give FACTS only. I have a Tesoro Tiger Shark with both 8" and 10" coils. A great machine and it gets used along with my CZ-21.

The fact that you are completely judgmental with people you have never met speaks for itself also. As I said before peace. I have absolutely no beef or agenda here. You want to make everything personal that is absolutely your choice. Life is way too short for that. If you notice, I don't cram any of the machines I use down anyone's throat. I have been around enough to know what works and what works best for me in my environment.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One more time..

Beach detecting is the easiest form of metal detecting there is. That is why you see so many old guys swinging on the beach. Coming to beach detecting as a life long nuggetshooter, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! If you want to get into beach detecting for as little money as possible the 8" Tesoro Sand Shark is the way to go. Plenty of depth, and no real loss of coverage over the 10.5" coil. I like the 8" because it is light and easy to control in the surf here on the Atlantic (which is a lot different than hunting a lake).

My results also speak for themselves, as my Sand Shark has paid for itself over a dozen times since 2011, and I am not a "professional." I'm sorry you feel the way you do. Peace brother! :occasion14:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Sovereign GT is a great detector but has little or no support from Minelab on this discontinued detector. You may never need it. The Sovereign GT clearly defines it's targets and absolutely discriminates iron targets with silence.
It was one of my favorites and wish I still had it.
Best of luck out there!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sovereign GT is a great detector but has little or no support from Minelab on this discontinued detector. You may never need it. The Sovereign GT clearly defines it's targets and absolutely discriminates iron targets with silence.
It was one of my favorites and wish I still had it.
Best of luck out there!

Minelab is supporting the Sov GT for another 4 years or longer, they came with 3 year warranty and some had extended warranties...

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my AT Pro in dry sand, but as soon as I get into the moist stuff it's a mess on my beaches. Listen to the pro's above, and you'll be on the right track no matter which detector you chose. I learned quick that you can use a water detector on land (Unfortunately they're normally heavy), but most land detectors suck in the saltwater.

When you use your AT PRO in wet sand you have to turn the sensitivity down to about half and that chatter really clears up. I still find items 6 inches down with it set that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread