Best VLF Gold Detector for Mineralized Soil ?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My buddy wants to start going out to the desert with me more often and needs a machine BUT, does not want to invest in a PI machine just yet. I explained to him that a good VLF will still cost around $800.00 and have some limitations in the hot soil that I often swing through and he's OK with that. What I think he enjoys most is exploring and the quiet of the desert. I sure would appreciate some suggestions, thanks....Rob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really like my GB Pro so I suggested he buy either the GB or the Pro. As for myself, I think it may be time to add another machine to my detector arsenal and I think a Whites GMT may be it. My wife asked me the other day, "Just how many metal detectors do you need?" And I said;"I don't know, how many golf clubs does your father play with?"

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just what I try to get across to my wife, but I also buy radio gear for my shack so I may be pushing it.

I really like my GB Pro so I suggested he buy either the GB or the Pro. As for myself, I think it may be time to add another machine to my detector arsenal and I think a Whites GMT may be it. My wife asked me the other day, "Just how many metal detectors do you need?" And I said;"I don't know, how many golf clubs does your father play with?"

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'day, well that's a good lot of fine machines; I have to include my Whites GM# and the V SAT.
I can not find any fault with them. Tried GB2 and V sat licked it in testing in warm ground [ Nor Cal] in a test bed.
The MXT will not beat them either.... Now, money wise, $350 for a good used GM3 or Vsat if you can find them
The headset I use came from Razorback coils, now owned by Minerjohn [ Paradise ca]
Have a great week......... B

I like my eureka gold by Minelab. I've used it in the Appalachians for gold hunting. But if I didn't have a budget I would get the Minelab GPX 5000.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For someone buying their first gold detector, the Eureka Gold has some problems. The switchable freq isn't that useful, all you need is the 20Khz. The 5Khz is useless for small nuggets, and people have said on that detector the 60Khz isn't that effective. The other problem is the price, for $1000 or so you get the Eureka Gold and the one coil. For that price you can get a GMT with all three coils, or you can get a GB Pro with the big and little coil plus a good pinpointer like the Garrett, the Minelab, or a Vibraprobe then have enough left to go to lunch.

I like my eureka gold by Minelab. I've used it in the Appalachians for gold hunting. But if I didn't have a budget I would get the Minelab GPX 5000.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
on the eureka the 60khz is pretty unstable, but I do find the 6.4khz useful for switching to relic hunting. I purchased mine for $480 so for me it was worth it.
I would not spend $1000 on it.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a good price so it's not a bad choice in that respect. Sorry I got the low freq wrong, off the top of my head I knew it was somewhere around there.

on the eureka the 60khz is pretty unstable, but I do find the 6.4khz useful for switching to relic hunting. I purchased mine for $480 so for me it was worth it.
I would not spend $1000 on it.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
ya boy, I was livid when you quoted the wrong freq. Just kidding. But really, if I hadnt run across such a deal ( yard sale ) I would have purchased something else.
One more thing I like about the eureka is that you can lock in the ground balance, instead of constant gb. I have a original gold bug that performs just as well as the minelab
the only way it falls short is no irondisc. and no auto. gb. but when I am looking for gold I don't use disc. I'm in the northwest right now, and am burning to get back down to az for some real nugget shooting, nothing feels as free as the desert. Ok I'm done rambling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread