Best Way to Unwrap Paper Penny Rolls?

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the best way to unwrap paper penny rolls from Garda or in the N.F. String & Son boxes? I have been using a small potato peeler to remove the crimped paper at one end and then a black Sharpie marker to push the pennies out the other side, but this takes hours when you have dozens of boxes to go through. The plastic rolls from Brinks are much easier to open, but I haven't been getting many of those.

The only coin unwrapping machine I've found from searching is Prema MRE 30, but it's from Switzerland and looks very expensive.

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roll hunter Problems.....

hire a child to unwrap them.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That machine does them in 2 seconds. And only requires a 40 amp circuit, and a battery backup unit, and 10 square feet of floor space, and a few thousand dollars...errr, sorry, I mde that all up. Except the 2 seconds.

It looks like a fabulous waste of money.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a box cutter and cut the crimped ring off of one end and push the coins through. Or with rolls of halves, I give them to my 2 year old and she opens them and hands the halves to me and runs to throw the wrapper into the garbage can - she loves it!

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
If the rolls are nice and tight a good sharp whack with a crescent wrench splits it open perfectly. You can also break them in half by hand.

OP
OP
T

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice everyone, it sounds like a razor or pocket knife is the way to go. I don't have any children to help and I don't want to just rip them open because sometimes paper fragments come out with the pennies and jam the Ryedale coin hopper or comparator.

I did try lighting a fire on top of a box of rolls once, but it only singed the ends of the rolls and made the end pennies sticky. I don't have a blow torch but I don't think that would work either...

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a box cutter when I open pennies. Just leave them in the box and slice lengthwise. I like leaving them in the box because it holds the rolls in place for you.

Or could buy an electric cement mixer from Home Depot and but some big rocks in the drum and just throw boxes in and it would probably tear them up good, you'd just have to deal with the trash before ryedaling which would be a major PITA!

HH,
Bigheed

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank God most of the penny rolls in Canada are CWR!
For MWR from Garda, I just rip them and then replace the machine wrappers to free wrappers from the bank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread