Best way to water proof a Sovereign GT

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need Max and Treasure_Hunter to tell you what they did for their GT's. You can do a search it you are a Charter Member.

Soverign#48

Jan 7, 2006
Saucier Mississippi
Sir,
I would not detect in the water with out a water machine period!!!! If you slip, or a wave washes over you your warranty is (NULL AND VOID). I have detected in the water and on land for over 25 yrs. I would suggest purchasing a water detector when you can afford it. This way you can gravitate towards deeper water either by diving or running a hooker set up. I had a a pulse machine and a VLF years ago and had a blast in the water. My Sovereign has never been in the water, but I have thought of having it professionally encased with a PVC case as I know it would be an excellent device for under water.

Eddie Urbati :)

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Soverign#48 said:
Sir,
I would not detect in the water with out a water machine period!!!! If you slip, or a wave washes over you your warranty is (NULL AND VOID). I have detected in the water and on land for over 25 yrs. I would suggest purchasing a water detector when you can afford it. This way you can gravitate towards deeper water either by diving or running a hooker set up. I had a a pulse machine and a VLF years ago and had a blast in the water. My Sovereign has never been in the water, but I have thought of having it professionally encased with a PVC case as I know it would be an excellent device for under water.

Eddie Urbati :)
No he is not going to dive with it he is going to hunt like waist deep or a little higher or ankle deep. it is so that if you drop it in the water you will not hurt it . A few here on Treasurenet have done it and say it works great. When i find some one to do it i am going to have my Sovereign water proofed.........One member did it to a Ace250 also and it worked out fine.........And about the Sovereign as a surf detector it is better than the .....Excalibur or the CZ 21.....It is a great surf detector if water proofed..........==Jim_K==

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The letter I received from Minelab stated that the Sovereign and the Excalibur were basically the same, only that one is the waterproof version of the other. I tried out a Sovereign, thank you Cotton, and realized it has a lot more bells and whistles....

With that said it might be worth it to pick up a used Excal for around $450 to $500. The cost of making the Sovereign waterproof I would imagine could be a couple of hundred bucks (the water proof pelican box, etc). Also add in the costs if it accidentally leaks. I made the mistake of taking a non water proof machine to knee deep. Here came a wave when I wasn't looking and got me wet, thank God the machine stayed dry. I had a bag over the controls :D

The nice thing about the water proof machine is that you can also go out a little bit deeper and not have to worry about the machine, peace of mind.

There are several on the forum here that did water proof their machines. I know they would be happy to share with you how they did it.

HH

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
jpotter said:
The letter I received from Minelab stated that the Sovereign and the Excalibur were basically the same, only that one is the waterproof version of the other. I tried out a Sovereign, thank you Cotton, and realized it has a lot more bells and whistles....

With that said it might be worth it to pick up a used Excal for around $450 to $500. The cost of making the Sovereign waterproof I would imagine could be a couple of hundred bucks (the water proof pelican box, etc). Also add in the costs if it accidentally leaks. I made the mistake of taking a non water proof machine to knee deep. Here came a wave when I wasn't looking and got me wet, thank God the machine stayed dry. I had a bag over the controls :D

The nice thing about the water proof machine is that you can also go out a little bit deeper and not have to worry about the machine, peace of mind.

There are several on the forum here that did water proof their machines. I know they would be happy to share with you how they did it.

HH
Yes but the extra features on the Sovereign are really not just bells & whi...the features are usefull and helpful like..automatic Ground Tracking...& ..Notch discrimination..noise cancel..........but we all know that they are basically the same ..For i have had Sovereigns since 1992 and have had the Excalibur but the few extra features on the Sovereign makes it a lot nicer detector than the Excalibur.........................==Jim_K==

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Jim about the Sovereign. I was really exaggerating about bells and whistles, it has switches and buttons and many features that the Excalibur doesn't have. I tried out one last year and liked it a lot but I had already been using the Excalibur and preferred the simplicity. It has a lot more of a learning curve then the Excalibur because of the extra features like you mentioned.

The representative from Minelab put in the letter that you get the same detector but one is the land version and the other is the water version. He seemed to push the Sovereign more than the other models of Minelab. (I had also requested in my email more information about the Explorer and the Quatro). He said if you don't plan on getting in the water over a certain depth than the Sovereign is the best out there for the money.

My point was rather than taking the risk and the expense of converting it to a water proof machine why not just put a few extra bucks for peace of mind. I know everybody has their favorite, just like myself. And again, if one wants to go through the procedure to convert their Sovereign to water resistant then they have the right to. I guess if one wants to get out there to knee deep then just place the unit in the harness, wrap it with a bag, and be careful. That's what I've seen a lot of hunters do when they use a non water proof machine close to the water.

I wish the Excalibur had some of the features like the Sovereign of the interchangeable coils and that one could change out the headphones. I know one can send it in to add these features aka more money. Believe me I know the Sovereign is an excellent machine, I wish I could have used my friend's Sovereign more time, maybe in the future.

But even after that my vote is still with my Excalibur, at least we agree on the brand. ;D

HH

Soverign#48

Jan 7, 2006
Saucier Mississippi
Please excuse my ignorance but did I read a comment that stated if you drop a NON-WATER PROOFED SOVEREIGN in the water it would not damage the unit? You got to be kidding me. ;D

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Soverign#48 said:
Please excuse my ignorance but did I read a comment that stated if you drop a NON-WATER PROOFED SOVEREIGN in the water it would not damage the unit? You got to be kidding me. ;D
I don't know were you saw that it has got to be waterproofed. BUT then a member on the forum here dropped his Ace 250 in the water when surf hunting got it out took the batterys out right away and put it out to dry for a day or two and wanted to know if it might work again?.......................... I said that it should for i have dropped electrontic equipment in water more than once took out the batteres out let it dry out AND they worked ...............................AND HIS ACE 250 Worked again. ..So if you do it right no problem if you drop it in the water.............NO.1..Turn it off right away...No..2..take the batterys out...NO 3...let it dry out but good............AND WE ARE NOT KIDDING YOU.............................................==Jim_K==

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
jpotter said:
Thanks for the info Jim about the Sovereign. I was really exaggerating about bells and whistles, it has switches and buttons and many features that the Excalibur doesn't have. I tried out one last year and liked it a lot but I had already been using the Excalibur and preferred the simplicity. It has a lot more of a learning curve then the Excalibur because of the extra features like you mentioned.

The representative from Minelab put in the letter that you get the same detector but one is the land version and the other is the water version. He seemed to push the Sovereign more than the other models of Minelab. (I had also requested in my email more information about the Explorer and the Quatro). He said if you don't plan on getting in the water over a certain depth than the Sovereign is the best out there for the money.

My point was rather than taking the risk and the expense of converting it to a water proof machine why not just put a few extra bucks for peace of mind. I know everybody has their favorite, just like myself. And again, if one wants to go through the procedure to convert their Sovereign to water resistant then they have the right to. I guess if one wants to get out there to knee deep then just place the unit in the harness, wrap it with a bag, and be careful. That's what I've seen a lot of hunters do when they use a non water proof machine close to the water.

I wish the Excalibur had some of the features like the Sovereign of the interchangeable coils and that one could change out the headphones. I know one can send it in to add these features aka more money. Believe me I know the Sovereign is an excellent machine, I wish I could have used my friend's Sovereign more time, maybe in the future.

But even after that my vote is still with my Excalibur, at least we agree on the brand. ;D

HH
jpotter, , i might water hunt again and am thinking about the Excalibur again of course if i get the Sovereign water proof then i don't need to put the money out for the Excalibur..............==Jim_K==

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
iv owned 4 Sovereign's last 2 being GT's...iv owned 4 Excall's and now run the Excal ll.the only advantage to the GT over the Excal is you can change coils and head phones.as far as the "notch" goes,i never use it as you will notch out some Gold rings if you notch out other things like pull tabs.i think the GT and S12 coil is the best beach set up out there,but i like the ability to hunt in the rain or just walk out neck deep in the surf and not worry about a $800 to $1200 detector going deep six! and you can get water proof connectors to change coils and head phones on the Excal.they both are great detectors and work very well in salt water where most others fail.swing slow and find the Gold!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dixie Digger said:
iv owned 4 Sovereign's last 2 being GT's...iv owned 4 Excall's and now run the Excal ll.the only advantage to the GT over the Excal is you can change coils and head phones.as far as the "notch" goes,i never use it as you will notch out some Gold rings if you notch out other things like pull tabs.i think the GT and S12 coil is the best beach set up out there,but i like the ability to hunt in the rain or just walk out neck deep in the surf and not worry about a $800 to $1200 detector going deep six! and you can get water proof connectors to change coils and head phones on the Excal.they both are great detectors and work very well in salt water where most others fail.swing slow and find the Gold!

Dixie Digger,

You said it short and nice.  Basically what I said on my post,  I just added more fluff.

Also, like you said, "swing slow" and take your time in an area.  Both of my treasure hunting buddies do that and find a lot more than me.  I find my share, but I cover a lot more ground then them.  The moral of the story less ground covered = less work and more gold.

Peg Leg Red

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Elite , Fisher CZ%
Yake ,, I hunt beaches and shallow water, with a Sov Elite and s-12 coil,
hipmounted in the minelab black bag with the plastic top.. To guard against
splashes rain or minor accidents and sand ,(NOT UNDERWATER),, this is what
I did...>> I took a large heavy duty zip-loc bag that the detector box fits in
( Heafty --1 Gal. size)..
>> first put air in bag zip and test for leaks >> Put box in bag and zip with
controls toward bottom of bag, bag zips on bottom of your box>> mark with marker where the wires will go out,,>> Cut or burn both holes in zip loc bag that cables
and nipple will go through down to flair on baby nipple...
>> Now get some plastic gerber baby bottles and nipples,, cut small amount off the end of nipple to leave a hole the size a 'little smaller' than the diameter of the
cable,, Ends will go through *** nipple will streach* tough though..
> Now cut the plastic bottle at sholders,,, "screw part" off bottle leaving a little for grip,
then assemble like you would the milk bottle over a plastic milk bag insert.
> Now, put a small bead of clear silicone around nipple end and cable,,also
around plastic screw assembly. and zip loc bag... >>> LET DRY Thoroughly**
The Test>> zip up with air and squeze gentley... If it holds air in ..
It holds water out... Zipping at bottom allows you to slide box out for batteries!! and it all slides in the hip mount bag,, mine is the minelab black velcro bag...
Hardest part is getting metal connectors through nipple end but they will go..
Total cost........>not much<
Hope it works for you!!..............Peg Leg Red

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions