Best Whites water detector?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best White's water detector?

Hi Ya Lost, I've used both and would only recommend the Beach Hunter ID for what you have in mind because it has discrimination. Take note that the coil will float in the water, but they make a weighted one also for this detector. It is easy to operate. In the shallow waves next to shore it may act up on you because of the black sand and saltwater. The only ones that don't do this are Minelabs.

The Surf PI Pro is deeper and if you were only going to be using it on saltwater beaches it would be the one to use if you had a strong back. Because of the PI's lack of good disc. it loves small iron and you would spend alot of time digging deep holes for a wire bread wrapper and tiny nails. In fresh water the bobby pins would last many more years to mess up with your detecting with the PI.

Good Luck,
Sandman

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle

I have a Beach Hunter ID. Just spent a week at Carolina Beach hunting with it. I am very happy with the performance of this detector. In the past, I have hunted in the DISC mode with success. This time out, I only hunted with the detector in All Metal. You still have the lights to help determine what is in the sand if you wish. It was very stable in the wet sand and I was finding very small items (small wire and hooks) at what I would consider extreme depth. My only issue is the coil. It does float, I made some weights out of PVC and grout to strap to the shaft. The shape of the coil also acts as a wing in the surf but these things are minor. Have to say I love this unit. Can't say enough about White's reliability.

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Thanks for the input Sandman and NC. Any more opinions or stories would be great. Also, does anyone know why the Beach hunter has a floating coil?

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

...does anyone know why the Beach hunter has a floating coil?
Because it has air in it.

Seriously, near as I can tell it is a shell type coil, with the windings mounted inside a two piece shell, glued together. This traps air inside.

Wanna see a great coil design? Look no further than the Fisher CZ-20 or the Garrett Rhino Tough coils. They incorporate the windings suspended within an epoxy matrix, with an outer shell. Tough and float proof. I suspect the Minelabs are the same.

Another option is a printed-circuit coil sandwiched within a top and bottom plate with no air inside. Tesoro is good at this.

I like detectors to be "right," straight from the box. I dont feel that after spending beaucoux bucks on an instrument, that I should have to strap PVC tubing or plastic baggies full of sand to the coil isolator to keep the coil from floating. Ditto having to send it back to the factory for "improvements" which simple consumer feedback tells you should be there in the first place!

C'mon, White's. If you'd get this coil business right, I'd consider buying a BHID.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On the BHID, you can just use a bean bag or sock with sand in it to help the coil, it never really bothered me.

My only complaint I had with my BHID I traded in for the Sovereign GT ;D was you have to be v-e-r-y careful when opening the battery compartment that you get no sand on the o-ring and it is replace properly, if you don't it will leak in the battery compartment. Mine leaked and I had to send it into Whites to get it repaired, it was under warranty and repaired free, minus shipping both direction, but I was still with out it for over 3 weeks. :( I was always very careful about opening battery compartment but it still leaked. :-[

I now have the Excal for in the water, and my backup for it is another Excal. ;D

If the surf is too rough to get in the water, or it is dark and I don't want to play "shark bait" I have the Sovereign GT with the WOT to hunt the beach down into the mid calf deep water, a very nice machine I must say. ;D ;D ;D (Thanks Max for your input)

I am still a newbie when it comes to hunting, and still learning from the old pros, but I am very happy with both the Excals and the Sovereign. I am at 19 rings for the year so far. I have the Whites 6000 XL PRO that I mainly use for the playgrounds and tot lots. It is a coin and jewelry magnet there.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On the BHID, you can just use a bean bag or sock with sand in it to help the coil, it never really bothered me.

My only complaint with my BHID was you have to be v-e-r-y careful when opening the battery compartment that you get no sand on the o-ring and it is replace properly, if you don't it will leak in the battery compartment. Mine leaked and I had to send it into Whites to get it repaired, I was without it for over 3 weeks. I was always very careful about opening battery compartment, but it still leaked.

You are more forgiving than I am, TH. After spending tons of dough on a highly touted machine, I dont feel I should have to add socks or such nonsense to make it useable.

But the o-ring issue is more telling. That much care and you still had problems? No wonder you traded it out. Others have made the same comments.

Again, Whites needs to heed these things and react accordingly.

As for your deuling Excals and other dollar-buck extravaganzas, well I can only add that if I had your money, Id burn mine. :P

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I should clairify my statement about the BHID being unstable in the surf. It only does this in some locations where the black sand is more dense. Otherwise it is quite stable.

I did not see why I should have to fight to keep the floating coil down in the water when it is supposed to be a water machine. Also if it is a water detector, why is it only waterproof to 20 some feet? I gave my Beach Hunter ID to my dumb brother in law. Even he didn't like it and sold it on ebay.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dahut, The weight never really bothered me, I never added weight to the coil, I just knew others did.

Not sure what your meant by,

"As for your deuling Excals and other dollar-buck extravaganzas, well I can only add that if I had your money, Id burn mine."

Thats okay, both of the Excals I bought were used, one from Ebay and one from a member on here. Both worked perfect when I got them, and the first one still had 2 years on the warranty the seller will allow me to use if ever needed. The two together were only about $400 more then a new Excal. No sales tax via internet sales saves a lot. The Sovereign GT I traded in the BHID on it, and I got a good tradein on the deal. The Sovereign was easy as I had the tradein plus I got a $200 bonus for no missed time at work last year.

I work telecom, and in my job I work a lot of mandatory overtime, was on-call last week and worked 74 hours just last week alone. About every 4 weeks I am on-call and get a lot of OT, the rest of the time I average 47-50 hours a week. Some times I go way beyond the call of duty so to speak for our customers and I get a tip, which always goes into my "detecting kitty".

I saved a little here and saved a little there and it goes into the kitty and I used it for the funds. I saved for 6 months before I bought the 1st Excal, saved another 6 months to get the 2nd Excal.

I know I can always get my money back on my MineLabs, that is one of the reasons why I love them so much, they are great detectors, and their resale value is just as great.

Believe me, I also have a great wife, and I try to treat her well. RJNail knows what I mean ;)

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As for your deuling Excals and other dollar-buck extravaganzas, well I can only add that if I had your money, Id burn mine."
Otherwise known as a joke!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No problem. ;) ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread