DRY or WET SUIT

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
A dry suit is just that, dry. It allows you to wear thermal underwear under it and stay warm in cold water. Itā€™s expensive, or more so than a wet suit, which is cheaper and for warmer water.

The dry suit protects you if youā€™re diving or hunting in contaminated water. Both a dry, or full wet suit, will protect against stinging jelly fish. Iā€™m more willing to pee in my wet suit than dry suit, which would actually make it a ā€˜wetā€™ suit then I suppose.

Really depends on what level of protection youā€™re after and how much youā€™re willing to spend.

Here on TN you will probably see that the consensus is for the Excal 1000.

I use a SandShark.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dry suit is just that, dry. It allows you to wear thermal underwear under it and stay warm in cold water. Itā€™s expensive, or more so than a wet suit, which is cheaper and for warmer water.
I never liked the neoprene neck closers in the dry suit. It felt like I was being strangled. Besides in a wet suit you can take a pee. Not that I ever did such a thing of course.

You didn't say what kind of water hunting you are going to do. Saltwater hunting works well with the PI's and Minelab Excalibur. The Sand Shark is a great detector and is deeper than VLF's, even Minelabs. However all PI's love small iron and report on deep pieces too. In the surf you'll be knocked about with waves while trying to recover a small nail from a deep hole in the sand. Minelabs don't see iron.

Fresh water you have a larger choice of detectors and all are good. Fisher 1280, CZ20, Whites Beach Hunter ID, and Surf PI Pro, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Infinium LS-both PI's, Minelab Excal 800 & 1000- the same detector, different coils. It is better to use a VLF in fresh water because the bobby pins, etc last a long time before they rust.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
The other thing about dry suits is maintenance. The seals on the wrist and neck need to be inspected (and replaced) regularly. A torn seal effectively renders the suit useless (and potentially a hazard). If you tear a seal on the neck and then happen to get submerged, it is much like a set of waders filling up... it gets real cold, and real heavy. (I had a neck seal tear at around 40' of water here in RI. Water was around 45 or 50 degrees... not fun at all)

The wetsuits (full and the "johnny" style) are dheaper and more rugged than a dry suit.

As for the detector... depends on the hunting you're doing... heavily mineralized, etc. Sandman already gave a good list. It also depends on whether or not you want discrimination. If you don't mind digging everything... go with a pi machine.

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread